• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer Dreaming....

So after the whole trailer light deal you guys really helped out. So with all the snow don’t get me wrong I love snow. But I’d like to get your guys input. So I bought a 2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab ( 3 door) LS back last August. It has almost new Michelin tires with about 12k on them, 203,750 miles on the truck everything stock. When I bought it I had about 2k worth of repairs done to it, new oil pan gaskets, oil change, block Heater, new passenger side window actuator, new power mirror switch, and on and on. So the truck has a almost new access tonneau cover with new Velcro I installed. I really like this for hauling ice fishing gear. The bed is spotless like no scratches or dings. So also the the previous owner put the bars over the bed sides, and the steps to get into the truck. What I’m looking for is do you guys think that this truck would last me a few more years or should I get somthing different this summer? It’s super clean almost mint condition, no rust ( Florida truck since new), runs strong. But when the previous owner was ready to leave to drive up to Mn from flordia, the truck was sitting on the side of the street and the neighbor across the street was having a party ( old people party) it was late and someone was leaving and backed into the front of the truck, It’s right above the drivers side tire. Not huge and noticable but there’s still a dent there. This dent bugs the dump out of me everyday. He also put all new rear brakes in and the fronts are at About 50%, also he did a tranny fluid change when he arrived up here last May. If I kept it this summer I’d like to get new shocks installed/ a 2”-4” lift. Reason for this is the truck is 2x4 so it has little ground clearance and honestly I hate the look of it. Also I’d like to install some winter or all terrain tires maybe some BF Goodrich all Terrains or similar. LED headlights would be on the dream list to install as well. I’m all for a nice looking Chevy. But I don’t want to go all out. Get some ground clearance, a better riding truck since the shocks are toast, and some better rubber for MN roads and lakes. Pic below is after I spent all day detailing it and making her look pretty the day I brought it home. I don’t have any pictures of the dent since it bugs me I try not to look or take pictures of it. I know it’s a lot and you guys haven’t seen the truck but I did my best to explain it and I look forward to reading your reply’s! Thanks!133DB445-E2C1-4894-A8C7-016559ADFF61.thumb.jpeg.a0d8f0b67dc4a592938d1b6975247fde.jpeg

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

From the sounds of it the truck runs well with no major issues.  It sounds like most of your reasons for wanting to upgrade the truck are due to cosmetic issues and you preferring a different look.  

If it were me I'd get over the cosmetic issues and drive the thing into the ground.  I value money in my pocket and no car payment far more than I value having a truck I like the looks of better.  As for that dent I call that character.  Virtually every car/truck beyond a certain age has these character flaws.  If it doesn't just give it time and it will. 

As long as the truck is reliable, runs well, does what you need it to do in terms of hauling gear and towing boats then I'd keep it.  Even if you have to put $1000 worth of repairs into it once a years thats only 2 months worth of payments on a new truck.  The rest of the year you're money ahead.  Once you get to the point of not being able to trust the truck or you're getting huge repair bills on a regular basis then thats when I'd look to upgrade.  

Nice truck. How many miles do you put on per year? That's how I would decide how long the truck will last.

My only problem with the truck is the fact it is 2 wheel drive. Personally I wouldn't bother with lift kit, etc. I would rather have a 4x4 in Minnesota, but that's just me.

I hear you on the cosmetic issues. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram that I bought new, has about 180,000 miles but is now all rusted out around the wheel wells bad. I don't put many miles on that truck a year anymore but it really bothers me that it looks so bad. The thing is, that truck runs like it did when it was brand new and I have put very little money into this vehicle over 15 years of ownership. 

In the end, it's all about what you want or need and no one else can decide that but you. If it were me, the only problems I would have with that truck is that it is not 4 wheel drive and I prefer 4 doors but again those are my preferences and may not be yours.

Well so far I’ve put on about 3k miles.... so not many per year. Yes 2 wheel drive is a pain but the only time I’ve felt it would be nice to have is driving on lakes. I’ve gotten stuck only twice this year and both times were on lakes and not bad. Just need to learn how to keep er going. And I’ve gone through deep snow 8”-10” no issues. The 3 door thing is something to get use to as well. My buddy has a 98 k1500 the things an absolutely beast. He also dislikes the 3 door thing. I know it all comes down to what I feel is best and really there’s very few things I don’t like about it. The 2wd thing can be annoying at times but the two times I’ve gotten stuck were the only two times I wish I had 4x4. Really appreciate all your helpful advice guys!

Those of us old guys grew up driving 2wd (rear) cars and trucks in snow and ice.   Throw a few of those bags of sand in the back of the bed near the tailgate.   That will help a lot.    And use good judgement....

As for the dent, ask around.  Might be some local body shop guy who does side jobs in his garage.   

Truck looks great.    At my age I'm not big on spending money on flash for my vehicles.

Thanks Del! Yep I was told to do the sand trick. Right now I have about 400 or 450lbs in the bed can’t rememeber exact amount. But it does seem to help can’t say whether or not it’s a huge difference since it’s been in there since beginning of November. I plan on getting an estimate or two on the Dent this spring just to get an idea if it’s somthing to put money into. I have a felling it will be a lot though. Its defiantly somthing different to drive being 2wd but it is a fun challenge and driving a AWD SUV, FWD car or 4x4 truck is much different.

A bunch of the guys in my class had 2wd trucks through high school. They go though plenty of snow. Invest in an aggressive set of snow tires and use your right foot wisely. That’s a nice looking truck you have and it should last a few years with good care. 

Anyone have any recommendation for a decent snow tire? I’ve done some online research and found the BF good rich all terrain ( I think that’s what it was) was a good tire and had good reviews. Only issue was it was outside of my price range. Not sure if it might be somthing to look for used? Or is buying new a better option? Tire size is: P255/70R16

On 3/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, leech~~ said:

Trust me. You will never do a factory matching paint job with canned spray paint. ?

But if you don't have much money, it might be better than a big dent in the fender......

It’s a truck, dents and scratches add character. I wouldn’t sweat it.

have you priced out truck prices lately? Even new or used they are high across the board. Won’t see me buying another for the time being with where the markets at. If what you got is reliable and your confident it will get you to where you need to go I would keep it until it starts nickel and diming you. If anything parts to keep it going will be cheaper than buying something else.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:18 PM, leech~~ said:

Well when it warms up you could try the hot water Harbor Freight dent puller suction cup deal. But that may just be hocus pocus!  

Or the slide hammer thing where you drill a hole and screw it in?  Any body guys on here?

Maybe check out a few YouTube videos while waiting for the snow to melt.