• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hank Shaw’s Take On Sous Vide

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

And now-Del.  ?

Huh?    Thomas Keller likes it and some other dudes don't.   Takes away their manhood or something by not requiring their supernatural level of skill.   

Somebody left some elk in for 5 hours... that was probably a mistake on their part.   I have been in many restaurants where I ordered my steak medium rare, and got it with maybe a small amount of pink in the very center of the thick part.    What is the difference in cooking time for a normal size steak between medium well and medium rare?  Are you good enough to tell, on the fly?   

Sounds like the guys that don't like automatic transmissions because it takes the skill out of driving.   

Happy now?   

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

Sounds like the guys that don't like automatic transmissions because it takes the skill out of driving.   

That would only be a fair comparison if those same people also felt the quality of the driving suffered as well.

17 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

It is an analogy, not a comparison.    

analogy

noun

anal·o·gy | \ə-ˈna-lə-jē  \

plural analogies

Definition of analogy 

1a: a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

b: resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : SIMILARITY

2: inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others

3: correspondence between the members of pairs or sets of linguistic forms that serves as a basis for the creation of another form

4: correspondence in function between anatomical parts of different structure and origin

Synonyms for analogy

noun agreement, similarity

comparison

correlation

metaphor

parallel

affinity

alikeness

correspondence

equivalence

homology

likeness

relation

relationship

resemblance

semblance

simile

similitude

21 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

The particular aspect being the opinion of aficionados.....

A comparison none the less so maybe you should quit deflecting and get back to the subject at hand.

These are my favorite parts of the article:

slow your roll.

First off, for those who don’t know, sous vide is highly controlled “boil in a bag,” 

Sous vide, overused, is a crutch for lazy cooks

?

Cook the way you want del. Me personally I enjoy cooking over wood( old school is tough to beat)  infusing flavor is what grilling is all about, but if not watching and letting some digital apparatus tell you it's time to eat, then knock yourself out.. 

Edited by bobberineyes

14 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Cook the way you want del. Me personally I enjoy cooking over wood( old school is tough to beat)  infusing flavor is what grilling is all about, but if not watching and letting some digital apparatus tell you it's time to eat, then knock yourself out.. 

I enjoy cooking over wood as well, or charcoal.  Or over electrons on the stove.    

On the other hand there are things that sous vide does better and more reliably than more conventional methods, and there are some things it does that are flat out impossible to do conventionally.  

But, suit yourself.   Limit your techniques.   But I do have a question for you guys....  Why do so many folks grind up much of a deer into buger or sausage mixed with pork, or make jerky out of it?   Is it because cuts like the chuck and round of venison are not very good cooked with conventional techniques?   

52 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I enjoy cooking over wood as well, or charcoal.  Or over electrons on the stove.    

On the other hand there are things that sous vide does better and more reliably than more conventional methods, and there are some things it does that are flat out impossible to do conventionally.  

But, suit yourself.   Limit your techniques.   But I do have a question for you guys....  Why do so many folks grind up much of a deer into buger or sausage mixed with pork, or make jerky out of it?   Is it because cuts like the chuck and round of venison are not very good cooked with conventional techniques?   

MEH i take those and cut to steaks or make jerky. the steaks typiically get grilled.  this is out of hind queaters, front part goes for SS sticks and hot dogs. 

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

But I do have a question for you guys....  Why do so many folks grind up much of a deer into buger or sausage mixed with pork, or make jerky out of it?   Is it because cuts like the chuck and round of venison are not very good cooked with conventional techniques?   

I'm going to guess it's because lots of folks like venison burger and sausage.?

So I went winter camping last March, and on the ride up the guy I went with started to go on and on about sous vide.

I laughed and said if you keep this up your nickname will be Del for the remainder of the trip. And then explained the inside joke to him.

:)

(he was actually surprised I already knew so much about it, so...... thanks Del)

54 minutes ago, Duffman said:

(he was actually surprised I already knew so much about it, so...... thanks Del)

I have learned a few things from FM/HSO over the years, but the most important thing I took away is that Master English Muffin Toasting bread makes some dam good toast and it's now on the weekly grocery list.    Thanks BD.

20 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

I have learned a few things from FM/HSO over the years, but the most important thing I took away is that Master English Muffin Toasting bread makes some dam good toast and it's now on the weekly grocery list.    Thanks BD.

Fantastic grilled cheese too.

2 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I probably wouldn't know anything about that bread except I have a buddy that will bring it on fishing trips. He would toast it and put some peanut butter on it so by the time you grab a piece the peanut butter is warm and melting.........

It is wonderful but I even forget to buy it and use it myself. 

3 hours ago, Duffman said:

So I went winter camping last March, and on the ride up the guy I went with started to go on and on about sous vide.

I laughed and said if you keep this up your nickname will be Del for the remainder of the trip. And then explained the inside joke to him.

:)

Yeah, I like to raz Del about the Sous Vide but I also appreciate the fact that he brought it up here and taught us all about it. That way I know I don't want to use it! ? J/K.