• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How early?

Thought it might be fun to start some actual hunting topics. Nothing real serious just general deer hunting talk. The sky is falling you can only shoot what's on my personal agenda talk gets kind of old at times.

How early does everyone climb into their stands each morning? 

Edited by MJ1657

for years my dad always told his hunting buddy Woody and him were the only ones who headed to the stands about 15 minutes before sunup usually getting there sunup or later.  They were convinced that was the deal.  I've shot 23 deer in Minnesota one was a few minutes after legal shooting time and for years was always out there in my stand 45 minutes before sunup.   I'd bet ten of those deer I shot going to my stand basically still hunting super slow, mostly around 1pm or so.  I ease into the day, being at my stand around sunup as long as  my tardiness doesn't effect another hunter.

Only issue is if your driving atv's in, then you have to be on time in and out.

I'm wagering bumping deer you'd otherwise have a chance with, when using a gun.  Also, you can attempt to tip toe in to spots much better when it isn't dark.

You wagered correctly.  I'll get into stands before light when archery hunting, but not when firearm hunting.  Too many bumped deer with no chance to even know what they were, much less a chance to harvest them has taught me that lesson.

If I hunted public land, I may have a different strategy.  I don't...so I don't 

I exclusively hunt public land, and my goal is to be settled into my stand AT LEAST one hour before shooting light.  That usually means leaving the truck about two hours before shooting light.  It's usually 30-45 mins to walk in, and then another 15 mins or so to get dressed and climbed up the tree.  9 times out of 10 we're the first truck there and won't see anyone before we hit the trail in.  I have a few reasons for this.  First is safety.  I almost never touch my feet on the ground in the daylight during gun season (way too many knuckle-heads who shoot at deer like it's gonna be their last meal).  Aside from that, my hope is that any deer I'd bump on my way in will be re-bumped by those who sleep in.    

When hunting with the rifle I prefer morning hunts. My spot is in a beding/safety area. Ideally I would like to be in and settled down a full half hour before legal shooting. By doing that the deer my neighbor pushes when he goes in to his stand will not get spooked again by me. They will usually settle in and either browse a little bit or look for a place to hold up for the day. 

So I guess for me I need to be leaving the truck gear in hand an hr to hr and a half before sunrise. 

I get to my stand pretty much at legal light.

I hunt public Land for rifle, blaze shows up better with light, and we usually hear2-3.shots before leaving camp.

As since 1992, our party has shot 1 deer within the first 30mi of light, and only twice have we notice we bumped deer. 

90% of our deer have been shot between 9am-12pm.

I see no need to get cold before I can shoot a deer, or use up my "stillness" earlier because I wasted and hour in the dark. At least where we hunt.

Opening morning I like to be settled in my stand just a little bit before legal shooting.  I also have only shot one deer within the first 1/2 of shooting in 30 years and most between 9-12 as with Anyfish.  After opener I am usually still hunting to my stand at first light.

When I hunt an area without other hunting pressure I usually leave for my stand about shooting light and still-hunt my way there.  This year I'll be in a high-pressure area so I'll be in the tree about 45 minutes early to let things settle down.  I don't know if I've ever shot a deer during rifle season within an hour of sunrise.  I shoot almost all of mine between 9:00 and 1:00.  In crowded areas that is when everyone starts heading in for lunch.  In my unpressured areas it just seems like that's when the deer like to move.

I like to be in a half hour before legal shooting hours, but it sounds like I should sitting a little later in the morning. I usually try to make it till 10:30-11:00 and then head back to have a little something to eat. Head back out at 2ish or so. We are on public land, so I carry a very bright flashlight with me in the morning, and just point it at the ground. Working till noon today, headed home and loading up. Should be at the cabin around 6-7 tonight. Good luck guys!!

Ive always done the half hour before legal,  but it sure makes sense if yu bump a deer in the dark there is absolutley no chance at having a shot. at least if u bump one at legal light thers a good possibilty for a shot. I guesse were I hunt, Agracultural lands surround my woods. I get in early while thier still in the feilds munching down.

For me it depends on where we are hunting. There are some spots where we will almost certainly bump deer so we would wait until around sunrise. The spot I usaully sit in the morning is adjacent to public land so I try to be there an hour or so before shooting time so I'm not bumping deer to others or if I do, they will bump it back to me. 

Being on public land I try to be in my stand at least a half hour early.  I'm pretty much always at my tree 30-45 minutes early and another 10-15 minutes to get my climber set up and get up into the tree and settled in.

If I know I'm going to be in an area were I expect others then I'll get there even earlier. I've had more than one morning where I run into another hunter and we both have to alter our plans a little so we can both hunt the area.  I've also had times when I'm in my stand early and I see another head light heading my way.  I can then flash my light and let them know I'm there.  So far each time thats happened they have altered their course to give me space.  Thats when it has really paid off to be early. 

Depends some where you hunt, but I'll be in nearly an hour b4 legal light as bumping them in pitch dark they often won't even run away, run off a little and wonder what was that, at least they have the hour to calm down and or forget what happened, the closer to light in my experiences if they can make out your silhouette they'll run a mile away as they can make you out and know you're trouble dragging every deer with him or her. Waiting till daybreak makes zero sense in my area(s) as they can see movement easy as ever as they stand still listening and looking for trouble. The people that think they can slink around then at a deer's eye level just aren't aware of the ones that are slipping out on them undetected. PS. I'm in farm country and the deer feed quite often way out in the middle of the combined corn so I can get in. If I wait till legal light they are often on the swamp/woods edge getting ready to do the same and I can't get in without spooking them. As I turn my corner lights on bright I can see where the eyeballs are and here's to hoping it's the middleish of the 160 acre cornfield.  

After 31 seasons of this I for sure would rather bump them early in the farm country I hunt but chances seem lower to bump them the earlier I get there as they feed a 1/2 mile out in the combined  cornfield over the hill. Take a wild guess that they don't use foot high corn stubble to lay down in, they're on the edge of the swamp where I have to walk unless I'd rather swim to my stand the closer to daylight it gets. They may see just fine in the pitch black but I'll roll the dice on a deer at 3/4 mile away in the pitch black not seeing me through the hill  vs.closer to shooting light when they're milling around the fields edge and now I can't even get to my stand, I'd be making a deer drive to the neighbors if I waited for legal light, hang on a minute get in early people don't make drives to your neighbors. Get in early while the deer are way out in the fields yet. Well for reference I'm looking to take my 32nd buck of my life tomorrow, think my philosophy is working out ok where I hunt. 5 yearlings and 26 two and a 1/2 year olds or older, I'm getting in even earlier tomorrow.

I didn't tell you to change how you hunt or that your philosophy is incorrect.  Simply that a bumped deer is a bumped deer.  In your situation it makes perfect sense to get in early as you won't bump deer (if they are where you are hoping they'll be anyway).  Good luck in the a.m. and I hope your plan works to a tee