• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

course up or north up?

Whopper Stopper

Do you set your locator to be course up or north up? I always leave mine on course up, because I have a very hard time keeping track of where north is.

I was just wondering if anyone else has that problem. Also is there an advantage to one over the other?

WS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Course up when I am running the boat from spot to spot.. But, if I am position fishing to a waypoint, it is much easier doing this with North up..

+1. My brain is "spacially" limited it seems. When running at "on plane" / full throttle speeds, I like course up so I don't have to mentally configure my boat to the the screen to determine if I need to veer / turn left or right. My HB has a North indicator when I use coarse up as well. I also use coarse up while trolling. When moving slowly / hovering / "fishing to a waypoint", North up. Screen doesn't "get confused" that way. Most guys I fish with use North up only.

Course up because I can be directionally challanged but based on the suggestions, I will have to try switching to north up for slowley working a spot. But definately course up when under way.

I also use look ahead which puts the boat location lower on the screen, instead of the center. This gives you more to view in the direction you are heading.

North up. Seems less confusing to me since the map isnt constantly moving around. But to each their own. My uncle likes course up, we had this discussion about a month ago. We share a boat up at my cabin and he was telling me he finally found out how to switch the brand new 858 we got to "course up". I said I hope you took notes because I'm changing it back to North up when I get up there.

North up. Seems less confusing to me since the map isnt constantly moving around. But to each their own. My uncle likes course up, we had this discussion about a month ago. We share a boat up at my cabin and he was telling me he finally found out how to switch the brand new 858 we got to "course up". I said I hope you took notes because I'm changing it back to North up when I get up there.

Haha..

I was on Mille lacs last 4th of july, in a buddies boat with a lowrance. About 5 minutes into it, i reach infront of him, hit 5 buttons and shut off his dang BEEP BEEP everytime a button is pushed!

He had that lowrance for 2 years and never found out that if you hit Menu twice, you pull up a whole nother set of options. tired

Ha. Sounds like some of my buddies who still text with the beep every time they hit a key on their phone.

The guy I fish with for our work fishing leauge is an old timer and he has a nice GPS/Sonar combo, as well as an H20. He uses the handheld for his lake map, which is fine, but he puts the lake chip in the combo and only uses that for split screen depth and track\bearing?? Too set in his ways though to try and understand a better way.

North up.

Course up does not work for me if I am not moving - too much movement on the screen. I use one of those compasses you pin to your shirt to reference direction - works great. Course up probably works fine for trolling but not good at all for still fishing a wayoint.

Well, I am glad to see there are others that get confused by north up, I thought I was the only one.

I actually posted this on a couple of boards and for the most part it is pretty well split. I will say that it seems the better sticks like the north up option rather than the course up option. I found it interesting using both for different applications.

I am always game to re-try things so I will give the north up another go. Maybe an epiphany will take place.

As always, Thanks for all the replies and comments!

WS