• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old is your bow?

MUSKY18

My bow in now 4 years old but I still like it and even though I am only shooting about 64 pounds, its still plenty great for me. Wondering how often you guys buy new bows, get rid of your old ones? Any particular age when a bow it just too old?

I get a new bow every year or every other year. However, I get really good deals on bows through a couple unique opportunities. If I didn't get such good deals, I'd shoot a bow for four or five years, as long as I was happy with it.

My last few I've had over 10 years, kind of like a comfortable sweat shirt. Todays technology advances make it harder to keep them as long, but todays pricing ( eek ) makes it just a bit easier to hang onto the older stuff.

The bow I'm shooting now is 3 years old and I feel as though it's just starting to get broken in.

My bow is 3 years old...just put new limbs on it. Will be getting a new one after the year, but still hang on to this one. Probably will be switching brands because the great customer service I've received trying to fix this one. wink

My baby turns 6 this year and all is well for now. I don't really have a reason to upgrade and like DonBo said the price of a new one sure makes my old bow all that much sweeter. I will admit the closer she gets to 10 the more tempted it will be to upgrade.

I shoot a 10 year old Hoyt. Its light, its quiet, and its deadly out to 50-70 yards. I WANT a new one but just haven't been able to justify doing it to gain 20-30 fps.

And I hate to admit it but of all "the big ones that got away".... I cant say it was the bows fault yet!

I didn't even gain that much with my new bow, but it is considerably lighter and quieter, and you're absolutely right, I've never missed one because of my equipment.

Mine is a 6 yo. Gonna mention the name because they don't make it anymore. Its a Renegade SBD, lightest and shortest bow Ive ever held, anyone remember this bow? It's taken game in 5 states.

I actually thought it was time for a new one this year. Took it in to have it restrung. Pulled a Hoyt, G5, and a PSE off the shelf to shoot when I dropped it off. The Hoyt was going to be my next bow. It is SO NICE. I told them I wanted to wait until I had mine restrung and compare them side by side on the range. 3 days later I did my comparison. Although a sweet shooting bow I just couldn't justify a grand for minimal fps at that much cost.

My bow is now in it's third season to me. But there were ten before that. I'm looking to upgrade, but it's an economic thing. When I'm not too tired, it throwns 219 fps arrows into a three inch circle at 25 yrards. So it's not the reason I won't get a deer, even though technology has passed it by.

Oh a test... Lets see... Top to bottom...

DSCN1188.jpg

'65 Kodiak - 46 years

Homemade - 10 years

My Warf, finished this year so less than one, but the riser is an '87 hoyt.

GameMaster II - 7 years

Pearson - 35 or 36 years depending on who you ask.

I hunt primarily with the Pearson, although all but the Warf have seen action in the deer woods. Something about that pearson though, it puts an arrow exactly where I want it to go every time.(out to 30 yards, then we have some issues) This will be my 7th season with that one.

DSCN1180.jpg

Sorry to mess with your average age guys. wink You can call it a statistical anomoly and toss it out if you want.

I purchased a Z7 last year and before that I had a basic PSE that was 12-13 years old. The biggest things I noticed in shopping for new bows was the balance, speed, smooth release, and quietness of the new bows. After shooting a bunch of new bows I felt like I had been throwing rocks at deer for the last few years. Shop around and shot as many as you can. A comfortable bow will last you like that old sweat shirt talked about before.

My Mathews LX is a 2007 model. I will probably upgrade after I'm done coaching youth hockey, so probably 2 years.

This is my second Mathews and although it isn't LOUD or anything, it isn't whisper quiet like it was when I first got it. I'm not switching to a recurve but I'm kind of hoping my next bow will be able to maintain that quiet factor longer.

Well I have had my bow since 2005 i traded someone from the site a glock 23 in 40 caliber for a darton vapor bow at the time. I dont know how long he had had it before we traded but I have enjoyed it. That first year i took my first deer ever with a bow 5 minutes after getting to a hunting spot but havent been lucky after that....beginners luck maybe. I hope I break that drought this year I dont care if its a doe, yearling doe or what it is just want some meat in the freezer after 5 years. I did have an opportunity to buy myself a bow last year but opted to buy my brother a bow because he had gone with me a few years with no bow. I am actually looking into getting a bow in the next few years.