• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you barbequing this weekend??

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then c'mon down here, Rh...it's HOT!!!!! 97 with a dewpoint of 78 = heat index of 110. mad

'Sposed to be worse tomorrow, and the rest of the week. Looks like it's gonna be hot dogs, pizza, and some cool salads, at least for the next couple of days.

Smoked a pork shoulder yesterday. Tried a different rub with honey,brown sugar,garlic powder,montreal steak seasoning,paprika and onion powder. Basically went threw the spice drawer and added a little of this and that. The honey mixture didnt stick that well to the wet pork overnight but after smoking it for a while it stuck a lot better. Next time I will just use a dry rub overnight and maybe do a honey mixture to apply later while cooking. It still came out great and next time Ill take some pictures to post. I have to do 8-10 of these next year for my Grandsons Graduation party.

Did shish kabobs this weekend, took a chunk of pork loin, cut into 2 inch chunks, chunked up a real pineapple, quartered an onion, a green pepper, a red pepper, some whole mushrooms, marinated for 24 hours in Italian dressing, put on the sticks, and grilled. Nice change from the normal steak/burger/chicken routine. Colorful too, should have taken some pictures.

Sunday I did a whole chicken on the Weber, I like to leave them whole, just keep turning them with tongs, it seems to keep them moister. Learned something too, when I threw on the chicken, I threw on a handful of wood chips, they smoked up right away and turned the chicken a nice golden brown. Again, going to have to start taking some pictures. Turned out good, and had potatoes and onions in foil on the side.

After grilling for 2 1/2 hours on Sunday afternoon, it really made me appreciate the A/C!!!

RH, are those babybacks any better than the ones at Target? Reason I ask is the babybacks at Target, while cheap, didn't seem worth the price. They weren't very meaty. I'm no butcher (except when filleting fish) so I thought I'd direct this question at you. Thanks

I'm gonna do up a brisket complete with a batch of burnt ends. Of course there needs to be a good supply of ABT on there as well for snacking while consuming a favorite beverage

i haven't followed this thread from the beginning but I just did a porketta on the grill. Its my second one and they are fantastic.

I use a chimney charcoal starter filled with charcoal. Once the top coals start turning white i dump them all on one side of the grill. Place a 4 pound porketta on the other side. have the lower vents all the way open and the top vent cracked open about 3/16 of an inch. Let it cook until the coals are done, about 3 hours.

Porkettas are not easy to find in the metro but I found them at family foods in Hudson. They will take a pork roast and roll it in porketta seasoning for you (they will also sell you there seasoning which is great on chops or they will put it on chops for anything else for you). Being from the iron range I know the seasoning is usually rolled into the roast, you just have to trust me on the seasoning just on the outside!

I like the Porkettas they make up north much better than the ones down here. I usually buy them at Frabonis in Hibbing or Freds in Nashwaulk or Goodland when I go up north. They use more fennel and I think Frabonis even grows there own Fennel they use.

kimchie i made myself. this time with white radishes sliced along with pickle style cukes, shredded carrots and shredded cabbage. top 5 healthiest food in the world.

I need some kind of recipe to follow. Thanks, good luck... grin

I like the Porkettas they make up north much better than the ones down here. I usually buy them at Frabonis in Hibbing or Freds in Nashwaulk or Goodland when I go up north. They use more fennel and I think Frabonis even grows there own Fennel they use.

If you ever get to hibbing you really should stop and pick one up!!! Have not tried the others but will do so if ever there.......

KIMCHIE:

1 head napa cabbage

1 piece of doikon radish [sp] it's a long white radish

i usualy go with one a foot long.

4 bunches of green onion

1 small pack of shredded carrots

5 red hot peppers

2 Tbls. minced fresh ginger

1 whole bulb garlic minced

1 Tbls sugar

4 cans of chicken stock

1 Tbls cayane pepper

salt

cut the cabbage in i inch pieces. disolve about 2 Tbls of salt in water[enough water to cover the cabbage]. i usualy put a dinner plate on top of the cabbage so it all stays submerged. leave the cabbage in the salt water in room temp. for 24 hrs.

the next day drain the water from the cabbage. slice the daikon thin and cut in half. mince the fresh ginger,cut up the green onions in i inch pieces, chop up the hot pepers [leave the seeds in], mince the garlin cloves, add to cabbage. take the 4 cans of chicken stock and put in seperate bowl. put the sugar and cayane pepper in the stock and mix until disolved. pour over the cabbage and other ingrediants. i usualy add 1 Tbls of fish sauce also but that's opptional.

i usualy dont add any additional salt for enough has soaked in the cabbage for my taste. once everything is mixed well together i put the kimchie in 1/2 gallon glass jars put a top on and put it in the fridge. should wait a couple of days to let everything soak in. it will continue to ferment as time goes on. i dont measure the ingrediants anymore but that's pretty close. it usualy keeps for a week and a half but usualy gone before then. make sure you pack the kimchie good in the jars. good luck.

there is a good one from "kimchie kim" when you google it. has a picture of kimchie in a jar with a video. not bad. over in korea they have what's called winter kimchie. i remember walking in the streets and you could smell the stuff a block away. they bury it under ground to preserve it. as you can see on the internet there are a bunch of kimchies. i use the same reciepe for cucumber kimchie as well. got some pickle size cukes growing in the garden right now. also get some of those tasty cucks from the farmers market. nice and crunchie and spicy. good luck.