• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you barbequing this weekend??

Its summer time, the weather is going to be nice, lets hear whats going on the grill!!

I have a beef roast thawing out for Saturday and a whole chicken thawing out for Sunday. Think I'll start a wood fire Sat afternoon and cook the roast right over the fire, probably seasoned liberally with Montreal Steak seasoning, with potatoes and onions in foil. Sunday I will be doing the chicken on the charcoal Weber, found a new recipe that calls for a marinade of apple juice, honey, and ground pepper that I'm going to try. Need to cut up the chicken tonight and start marinating. Haven't decided on a side dish yet. Maybe a macaroni salad??

Lets hear what you're grilling!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could not wait for the weekend wink

Went to Sam's and they had top sirloin for a decent price. I seasoned it with Montreal steak seasoning and left it warm up for a couple of hours. It was one of the most tender and flavorful that I have ever had. While the grill was hot we took some asparagus that was tossed with olive oil and kosher salt and cooked that above the steaks. Love the steak smoke for a seasoning grin

smoking some rainbow trout tommorow [to snack on and mix some in cream cheese and stuff in jalopeno peppers]. sunday will be baby backs [25 racks left from the target sale] and brown rice with some vegi's grilled. i think rainbow still has spareribs for 1.99 per pound. good price. will check some out today. good luck.

not to be a stickler, but barbecue is definitely not grilling, even though the two terms are used interchangeably in the Midwest smile

just lookin out for you, might get attacked if you call grilling with sauce barbecuing anywhere in the south!

I'm thinkin of making some blue cheese stuffed bacon cheeseburgers this weekend, and maybe if I have the time smoke some turkey legs and make some goose jerky

Grilling some Chicken tonight, going to be a busy work weekend so I am not going to invest the time with the smoker. Too bad; I think it's getting lonely.

RH1, let me know when you smoke too many of those Target ribs and need some help "disposing" of them! grin

Grilling/bbqing/smoking... as long as it makes it to the plate I don't care what you call it. Do they call anything "smoking" down south or is all slow-cooking called bbq?

Quote:
please explain. you're not actually smoking armadillo eggs right?.?.?.?

NOPE! laugh

I have not done this yet, but its about time.

2 lbs uncooked pork sausage

Jalapeno peppers

cream cheese

onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper

yellow food coloring

(Sorry there isnt more detail on the amounts needed, but it cant be too tough to guesstimate)

Stuff the japs with a mix of cream cheese and spices, colored yellow with the food dye.

Put 1 pepper in the middle of a sausage patty and mold the sausage around the pepper.

When done slice the "egg" so it looks like an egg with a yellow yoke.

armadillo-eggs_DSC3833.jpg

armadillo-eggs_DSC3832.jpg

Wow, hockey. That looks like a great recipe! How long are you planning on smoking those for? I'm fairly new to the smoker game and after smoking some tullibee's last weekend I'm anxious to give this recipe a shot. Thanks for sharing.

Well, from reading various recipes, I am going to shoot for probably about 1.5 hrs at 225-250 and see where that gets me.

Oven recipes call for 350-375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Do a g00gle search on armadillo eggs. There is a ton of different twists to do. I might try some of my homemade venison italian sausage.... HMMMMM!

cooks.com has a ton of recipes for this. I use that site for a lot of new ideas actually.

Grilling/barbecueing/smoking, who cares as long as it tastes good!!

Harmonica, where does a person pick up just turkey legs to grill?? I've looked for them and can't find any in the stores thats not already cooked or still attached to the turkey. Did you do anything special to the legs before putting them on the grill or did you just grill them plain??

hockey, I'm sorry, but my scandinavian tastes couldn't see ruining good meat with jalepenoes??!! My head was sweating last weekend after eating a Taco pizza!! I may have to go look at that cooks.com HSOforum....

They dont get any more scandanavian than me. Gimme some habaneros and now we are talking!!!

In fact.... I am going to try habaneros in some. WTH. Why not??

Anyone out there that likes to dabble with food, go to cooks.com. What a resource for recipes!

I get tons of ideas on things and mix/match recipes together to make new twists.

i would call around. i know i have seen fresh turkey parts at cubs, rainbow, and county market. if they dont sell them fresh they put them bulk in the freezer cases. those sausage egg deals look awesome. good luck.

The Turkey legs we got from Swanson's meat. A wholesaler in MPLS. Pretty sure anyone can order from him in bulk. just have to pay up front cash or card. I would assume any meat market will order want you want as well.

Now I feel bad RH, we were going to ask you if you wanted to to help. I had enough people on my team, but I think Ice Shack needed could have used another hand, or somebody could have. There's never enough help, especially with something that big. We will be grillin dogs, burgers and pork chops @ Lyons park in Ham Lake 4th of July night (kind of small deal in comparison). Not sure how much help we need, but stop on by. Just look for the smoke!

You guys are right, I should just talk to a butcher and see if I can order 10-20 turkey legs. I know when I goto the state fair or Renasaince Festival I like to try a leg, I'd like to see if I could duplicate it on my own.

Harmonica, you never said, anything special that you did with the legs before you cooked them? Were they partially cooked before they went on the grill??

the maple is good! want a little heat with the sweet try this one:

SPICY GOOD VENISON AND HONEY SAUSAGE

7 lbs. venison

5 lbs. pork butt

1/2 bottle of beer with this amount, the whole bottle for a double.

2 tbls. salt

2 tbls. black pepper

1/2 tsp red pepper i use more [heaping tsp] it's good to use the half first to see if you need more heat next time around.

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp sage

a good half cup of honey [which means i dont pay attention to amounts much]

grind the venison through a course plate and the pork. add all the spices and the honey and mix everything with your hands well while adding the beer. then grind everything again through a medium plate and stuff into links in hog casings or make patties or some of each. good luck.

that would be awesome. tonight i'm haveing chicken [soaking in buttermilk now] with my rib rub later and on the grill with wild rice and mushrooms. simple but good. put my 5 rainbows and 2 brown trout in a apple brine:

1 gal. apple juice

1/2 cup of salt

1 cup of brown sugar

brine for 24 hrs and smoke away. sprinkle some brown sugar on the fish before smoking if you like. i got this off one of our many great people on the cooking and reciepe forum. thanks again. good luck.