• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you barbequing this weekend??

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some BB ribs that are ready to be thrown on the BBQ. Also going to give a new recipe a shot that I've found recently. I've been looking to try out some dessert on the grill for a while now and this looks like the ticket.

Smoked Cinnamon Caramel Apples (thanks teeznuts for the idea!)

I took 6 "pink lady" apples and cored them leaving the bottom in tact. I dropped a caramel candy in each and then filled each with a mixture of sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Next I put a slice of butter in the top of each one, followed by 2 more caramel candies stuffed in. Placed in the MES at 270 for approximately an hour, smoked with apple wood and apple juice in the water pan. Pulled them off when they were oozing yummyness out the top and split and served with a big scoop of Breyers Vanilla Bean ice cream. Enjoy! I sure did.

1000x500px-LL-fe3ec284_IMGP2194.JPG

1000x500px-LL-1638ede3_IMGP2215.JPG

Those apples look great, JimBuck...I'm gonna have to try that. Any particular ratio on the brown sugar/cinnamon/sugar mix? Or just kind of wing it?

Here is what was on the grill today...a pair of roasts. One beef, one pork loin. We've got a couple nephews and a niece coming to visit and stay with us this week, so getting some sandwich fixins ready. Gonna do a ham, too.

full-1102-10045-twinroasts.jpg

here is something i have mentioned before as far as a sauce or mop sauce. it's been a favorite of our family and those who have been at my grill side. very simple.

one part western salad dressing

one part ketchup

apple juice [enough to thin for a mop]

bacon [you set the amount per amount of mop sauce]

for example use one cup western salad dressing and one cup ketchup. 1/2 cup apple juice and 8 oz of bacon cut fine as you want and fried golden brown. after the bacon has fried crispy, drain the fat and put the bacon in the above mix and stir it in and begin to heat t he mix. bring it up to a simmer and put it on low until ready to mop those ribs or chicken also for the last 1/2 hour or so of grilling time. turning and moping here and there. i used everything but the bacon before yesterday but decided to add the bacon yesterday and it was a hit big time. there were people looking for the ribs with the most bacon bits on them grin good luck and hit those grills and raise the flag in honor of our loved troops.

i bought 2 tenderloin tails and will put one in the oven for about 30 min it has been marinating overnight. i would grill but since it is about a million degrees today why even go outside. happy 4th to all be safe, the brisket looks great!!

Thirdeye

1. Did you cook those on a weber grill or in one of your green eggs?

2. Could you post how you did this, I know I am asking a lot but always have wanted to do this and never took the time. The best brisket I had was at the boat show two years ago and they had one they cooked in the green egg. I do not have one of those yet so I was wondering your process, rub, times, temps. Thanks in you can help on any of this bud...........Kirk

Thirdeye

1. Did you cook those on a weber grill or in one of your green eggs?

2. Could you post how you did this, I know I am asking a lot but always have wanted to do this and never took the time. The best brisket I had was at the boat show two years ago and they had one they cooked in the green egg. I do not have one of those yet so I was wondering your process, rub, times, temps. Thanks in you can help on any of this bud...........Kirk

Kirk, I cook briskets on both a Big Green Egg and a vertical drum called a Big Drum Smoker.

Brisket is one of a handful of things (others are cheese, trout and salmon) that are cooker specific when it comes to a good method. For example, on my Egg I never turn a brisket, and on my BDS I might turn it five times. I might cook 60° hotter on my Egg than the BDS. There is also an option of cooking way higher than the traditional "low-n-slow" methods, and there is a foil finish option to steam the brisket tender.

So, tell me what you cook on... and whether you can buy a whole (or full) brisket in the 11 to 15 pound range, or if you can only get the flat cut (which will be in the 5 to 7 pound range). With that info I can get you into the ballpark with a decent brisket. Then it will be up to you to do some fine tuning with respect to temperature, smoke, seasonings, moisture and tenderness.

We might even think about starting a Brisket Thread so everyone can jump in with their tips.

Thirdeye, For right now I only have a round weber grill, I do not know if that is suitable to cook a brisket on. I really want to start using a smoker and I am sure that is a whole different story on which one to buy. I need to do a lot of homework, I guess because I truly want to learn how to use a smoker and how to cook briskets. For now I have only a weber grill. I have seen smaller briskets all the way up to the flat bigger ones so I can usually get any type of brisket. Thanks again for your time and I think a brisket thread would be very helpful.....Kirk

Thirdeye, For right now I only have a round weber grill, I do not know if that is suitable to cook a brisket on. I really want to start using a smoker and I am sure that is a whole different story on which one to buy. I need to do a lot of homework, I guess because I truly want to learn how to use a smoker and how to cook briskets. For now I have only a weber grill. I have seen smaller briskets all the way up to the flat bigger ones so I can usually get any type of brisket. Thanks again for your time and I think a brisket thread would be very helpful.....Kirk

Well, a kettle leans more toward a grill (hotter, shorter burning fires) than a barbecue/smoker, but Weber makes clip-on side charcoal baskets that leave the center of the cooking grate available to cook things indirectly on. (Briskets, butts, ribs and such need an indirect set-up). The only problem is that the larger hunk of meat, the longer the time it needs to cook. You would have to replenish charcoal during the cook. They make grates with hinges on them that line up with the charcoal baskets, so that is not a show stopper.

I've seen many folks arrange the coals in two half circles (without the use of the baskets), and that works too. or they will put a pan in the center so it can help hold the coals to the sides. So, I guess the first thing you need to do is measure the available cooking area when banking coals on two sides of the grill. Then you can figure out how to best use that space.

You might do a test cook with a big meatloaf and practice working with an indirect set-up

I have done what thirdeye is describing with the baskets. When we make pizza on the grill I will put both of the baskets on one side of the grill. This way we can cook the dough quickly over the coals. Then we load them up with our favorite toppings and put them on the other side to bake. This is so we can melt the cheese and heat everything thoroughly.

Jim, do you use a pizza stone? I just got one and my daughter and I have really been impressed with it. I never liked homemade pizzas before since the dough never seemed to get baked enough and seemed doughy to me. The stone seems to have gotten rid of that problem.

When we have made them we will coat smaller pieces of dough ( 6X8 )with olive oil and put it right over the hot coals. You have to turn it often to avoid burning it. When it is done we will then add the toppings which is usually sauce, pepperoni, sausage, onions, chopped up green peppers, jalapenos, mushrooms and then your cheese. We then put it on the in direct side of the grill and put the cover on with the vents wide open. It is now basically a oven for heating up the pizza. When the cheese has melted it should be ready to eat. The nice part is that everyone gets there pizza made there way.

Once again, I've got nothing on what some of you guys are doing. Just some basic grillin'. We have a couple newphews and a niece staying with us, so I went with the standard burgers/smoked sausage grillout. And a few grilled onions add that extra touch to the burgers and sausages...

full-1102-10391-saturdaygrillin.jpg

haveing baby backs today also. 4 racks. found some sauce that i haven't seen in years. thompsons black tie. sweet and sassy today. served with rice and kimchie. sounds weird i know but my daughters love kimchie and rice so there it is. kimchie i made myself. this time with white radishes sliced along with pickle style cukes, shredded carrots and shredded cabbage. top 5 healthiest food in the world.

my daughter gave me her moms [my ex wife who has passed away] new kimchie refridgerator. $2,000 bucks. has fermentation settings plus proper refrigerator settings after fermentation takes place. i will also use this unit to make homemake sourkrout. good luck.

Have 6lbs of jerk chicken marinating for this evening. Had this before, anyone that likes thier chicken a bit spicy, i recommend this recipe. It is really easy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-jerk-chicken-recipe/index.html

Also rolling with a cucumber salad and fresh veggies too! Can't beat it in the summer