• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you barbequing this weekend??

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont mind the food prep, it's part of a great meal ahead. thanks good luck.

I loved prep in the restaurants I worked in. It was great when the yahoos that avoided prep got stuck cleaning fryers or walk-in coolers! Especially when I was "in charge"... cool

Thank you kindly! Dont know about "expert" but I have been to a few picnics. cool

Sadly I dont have any big cooking plans for this weeknd. I am wiped out, had a long, long week at work! Going to camp with my father and a few others tomorrow - he made a venison meat sauce to go over pasta. Im sure something will find the grill on sunday...

WOW is all I can say. I am salivating after reading todays plans you guys have. I am going to do some more practicing on some ribs while the wife is mowing the lawn. Smoking is tough to do you know. lol She doesn't mind mowing so it works out good for both of us. Those "eggs" look great. That might also be on my menu.....

rainbow has them at the same price as well. Ken you got a great meal today. smoked some rainbows and browns today [small 12 to 14 in.] and they turned out good for a first try. backribs are on the grill now.

i just wish i could get some meaty beef back ribs. i could when i was working but now i only see the ones in plastic wrap and i would not pay the price for them even if they were a buck a pound. those beef back ribs are the best in the world off the prime rib. good luck.

Well, I got wrapped up at work today and didnt make it down to camp. I am exhausted but wanted to cook. Something simple but I also wanted creative and new.

Stopped at the grocery store and settled on burgers and some homemade slaw!

Wanted a slaw that was a bit diff... confused

Turned out awesome!

I shredded up a half head of cabbage

third of a red pepper as thin as can be done

a few thin slices of onion

grated a little carrot

added a small handlfull of bacon

and a small handfull of dried cranberries

For a dressing I roughly used

3/4 cup mayo

1 Tbl spoon of red wine vinegar

1 Tbl spoon of whole grain mustard

1 Tbl spoon lime juice

1 packet of Truvia sweetner. Use real sugar or splenda iffin ya want

8-10 good dashes of hot sauce. I used the green Tabasco. Funny side note, I dont like regular tabasco but love the green version( and its not the heat that I dont care for, lol)

a good pinch of salt and pepper

*disclaimer* Measurments are close but rough...

I ended up making bacon cheddar sliders on some potato dinner rolls along with cukes and tomatoes...

full-1130-9870-001.jpg

Marinated skirt steak mexican style, with smashed avacado with hot salsa mixed in, some beans and flour tortillas. couple slices of tomato on the side cant beat it. I have been crazy busy, the cotton business is going nuts so we have been working ot. I check in usually daily but very quickly. Hotter than heck 115 last 3 days, AC does not want to keep up runs all the time so my electric bill will be crazy high. Hope the fishing is good, wish i could get up there. Jeff

that looks like a great meal to look forward too. i know you have two or three grill/smokers, is that one charcoal? if so, can you re-load from the bottom? good luck.

That is my Green Egg. It can be re-loaded, but I would have to remove the food, drip pan, and heat baffle. The good thing is it will burn upwards of 24 hours on a load of charcoal, so there is no need to add charcoal during the cook.

Total cook time for this brisket was close to 11 hours, then I cubed the point and made some burnt ends which took about 1-1/2 hours more.

DSC01982aa.jpg

DSC01992aa.jpg

what is in the chilies? are those poblanos or anehiem? looks fantastic.

Right, those are poblanos that were stuffed with a mixture of black beans, onion, garlic,, cheese and cilantro. The seasonings are just salt, pepper and cumin. Just saute the onions & garlic, add beans, cheese, cilantro and seasonings until it's just warmed through.,...... then spoon into the pepper boats and cook indirect for an hour or until the peppers are nice and soft. These can be done in the oven too. You can add about anything else you like, cooked rice is good in them too.

DSC09196a.jpg

DSC07536aa.jpg

The recipe came off the internet and is from Steve Raichlen, the BBQ Bible author and TV cook. It's more of a technique as you can make so many substitutions. I've never tried the pumpkin seeds, nor have I made them in bell peppers. I usually like to put some parmesan cheese into the other cheese too. Other than that, it's really necessary to rinse all the juice of the beans and let them drain really well. This is what the mixture should look like before spooning it into the peppers. You will nail this one on the first try, it's really easy.

DSC07521a.jpg

---------------------------------------

Poblano Relleno

Steve Raichlen

• 6 large poblano peppers or green bell peppers

• 2 cans (16 ounces each) low-sodium pinto beans or black beans

• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling

• 1 medium onion, finely chopped

• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

• 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for a hotter filling, leave the seeds in)

• 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped

• 1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped

• 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (optional; see Note)

• 1 teaspoon ground cumin

• 1 to 3 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste

• 3 cups (about 12 ounces) pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or white Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated

• Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 cup wood chips or chunks (preferably mesquite), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

1 If using poblano peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. If using bell peppers, cut off the tops about 1/2 inch below the stems. Scrape out the veins and seeds, taking care not to puncture the bottoms.

2 Drain the beans, place them in a colander, rinse under cold running water, then drain again.

3 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeños, red bell pepper, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, if using, and cumin and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans, hot sauce, and 2 cups of the cheese. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and/or more hot sauce as necessary. Spoon the bean mixture into the hollowed-out peppers. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, dividing it evenly among the peppers. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cheese.

4 Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

5 When ready to cook, place the peppers in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the peppers until they are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the peppers to a platter or plates and serve at once.

Servings: 6

have you ever tried the anehiem chiles? i like them over the poblano as they do not have as much green pepper taste and you can get them with some great heat. I do a stuffed chile rellano only i use brisket and cheese then batter and fry. very good

Just stopped at the grocery store after a few hours of work for some fixins.

All they had were bell peppers, jalapenos, and hungarian wax, I went with the red bells.

Im going to cheat on my filling a bit though. I got the beans and cheese but im going to use some canned salsa I made last summer. It has most of the ingredients already in there...

Also got stuff for more slaw like I posted yesterday... cool

i'm making kimchie again today. got to let the nappa cabbage soak in salt water for a day and then add some garlic [lots] shredded carrots and dikon and the spices and let it ferment for 3 or four days and then its time to chow down daily. one of the top 5 healthiest foods in the world. putting more red pepper in there this time [red pepper bought in the korean store]. i think they mix some paprika in there with it. makes a big difference instead of regualar red pepper. good luck.