• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you barbequing this weekend??

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my youngest daughter is doing the cooking today. she is making Korean bulgogi and rice, and jamaican jerk chicken. i'm bringing a large batch of cucumber kimchi some for the meal and some for all to have. also bringing a side dish for some that dont care for rice and grandkids and kids at heart.

SAUSAGE MAC AND CHEESE WITH APPLE JUICE:

4 tbls. unsalted butter, plus more for the dish.

kosher salt

3/4 lb. medium pasta shells

1/2 cup diced onion

aprox. or more 6 ounces of venison italian saus. [or your favorite type]

1 tbls. mustard powder

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups apple juice

1 lb. monterey jack cheese, shredded [4 cups]

1/2 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese. shredded [2 cups]

1/2 cup sour cream

35 small butter crackers [i sleeve ritz crushed]

1. preheat the oven to 350 deg. butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish. bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until as dente, about 6 minutes. drain and set aside.

2. meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. stir in the apple juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, agout 8 more minutes.

3. slowly stir about three-quarters each of the monterey jack and cheddar cheese into the sauce until smooth, about 2 minutes. remove from the heat . stir in the pasta and sour cream. pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. sprinkle with the crushed crackers and the remaining cheese. bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. let rest 10 minutes before serving.

this recipie is not mine but have had it for awhile and it's usualy one i make in the fall through winter. had a request so, no problem. the amount of cayenne pepper is small and not too noticable. however it's optional of course with kids who dont like any. good luck.

Time to bring this back to the top, with the nice weather forecast, I'm grilling both Saturday and Sunday, Sat afternoon got a turkey thawing out, been taking up freezer space, plus they'll be going on sale soon, Sunday afternoon will be doing Sirloin steak, found one last package in the freezer. Plan is to do potatoes in foil on Sat afternoon, then I'll be able to have eggs and potatoes for breakfast Sun morning smile

Also the reason for doing the turkey Sat is that it takes longer, not going to bowhunt Sat night, with the warmer weather, I don't want to have to spend all day Sunday butchering, but Sunday night I'll be going out.

What are you grilling this weekend?

Nothing this weekend, but on Tuesday, I'm smoking 22lbs of corned goose to make Pastrami for a friend. I've never made it with goose before, but it worked very well for beef, elk, wild turkey and venison. So I figure goose has to come out at least edible.

Yesterday I cooked 2 racks of baby backs, a rack of spare ribs and a 4 lb. pork butt for pulled pork for my wife's work party. Thank goodness for the pulled pork thread! I got the idea to spray the roast with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and Jameson (no rum), then pulled it out @ 160, wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven @ 235 until it hit 200 degrees. This gave me enough room on my BGE for the ribs. I basically did the same for the ribs, pulling them @ 160+, wrapped them and put them in the oven too. Oh, yeah I also smoked some sunfish for one of the guys my wife works with too. There wasn't any leftover pork, but I walked away from the smoker to socialize and burned some of the fish frown.

I used a basic rub, based on one called Powderpuff Rib Rub:

1/2 C celery salt

1/3 C paprika

1/3 C garlic

3 T pepper

I didn't have celery salt so I guessed at the ratio and used 1 part salt and 2 parts celery seed (which I think is backwards shocked ). I also use Penzey's spices, so I used one of their pepper blends called Florida seasoned pepper.

I also made a Guava BBQ sauce from Emeril that went over pretty well...

eyes317

well, did you get a chance to sample any of the smoked gills? that's something i have never done. and if i have never attempted something, i usualy give it a shot somewhere down the line. i just wonder if they were a little dry [ i know the burnt one's were grin ]. good luck.

you still got sunday for a menu so i saw today cubs had whole fryers/roasters on sale for .79 cents a pound. no coupon required. they are the perdu brand and average 6 to 7 pounds each. i got three of them [thats all they had in the case], and they were getting ready to fill it again. i'll get more tommorow. average cost for each were $5.50. great time to stock up. good luck.

Cotco's regular price is very good too. I bought two whole chickens for $7.50. I'm not positive on the price/lb, so I can't say it's cheaper, but still not bad. I think next time I go I'll be getting a few more.

sam's club has whole fryers normaly for .89cents a pound and they run anywhere from 4 to sometimes 5. i usualy get them there. it's not that the price is .79 cents lb at cubs but the size is what i like. up to 7 pounds. roast some, smoke some, and part some up for frying or grilling. good luck.

Results from the 15 hour smoke. Injected, brined, rubbed, and ready to go on.

308007_234673779924107_100001444594351_7

Took about 11 hours to get through up to and through the stall, and another 3 to get to 200. Another hour in a towel-packed cooler to rest, and then it was ready to slice.

321153_234972749894210_100001444594351_7

Doesn't look all that great until you cut 'er open!

320952_234973669894118_100001444594351_7

By far the best on I have done yet, but the rub ended up being way too salty. I looked at a few different recipes, and found a common middle ground with everything I liked and nothing I didn't. Had I kept the brine the same and cut the salt ont he rub I think it would have been absolutel;y fantastic. As it was, it still wasn't bad.

Brine: 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp diced garlic, 2 Tbsp coarse Grd Blk Pepper, 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes, Aprox 4 cups water

Bring all ingreidient to boil, and simmer for 20 minutes and then take off heat, Inject cooled brine into rinsed Brisket and put it into a "Turkey Bag" or other brining container, put rest of brine into bag, add more water if needed and mix thoroughly, close tightly and let sit in fridge a minimum 6 hours.

Rub (the one I used that IMHO was too salty): 1/4 cup Kosher Salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup Grnd Blk Pepper, 2 Tbsp Chili Powder, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 2 Tbsp Onion Powder, 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder

Mix thoroughly and cover brisket on all sides, Cover and allow to sit at least an hour before smoking

I'd cut the salt at least in half. I tried some from deep inside that tasted heavenly. I was disappointed as the bark is usually a treat!