• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you barbequing this weekend??

DSC09196a.jpg

DSC07536aa.jpg

The recipe came off the internet and is from Steve Raichlen, the BBQ Bible author and TV cook. It's more of a technique as you can make so many substitutions. I've never tried the pumpkin seeds, nor have I made them in bell peppers. I usually like to put some parmesan cheese into the other cheese too. Other than that, it's really necessary to rinse all the juice of the beans and let them drain really well. This is what the mixture should look like before spooning it into the peppers. You will nail this one on the first try, it's really easy.

DSC07521a.jpg

---------------------------------------

Poblano Relleno

Steve Raichlen

• 6 large poblano peppers or green bell peppers

• 2 cans (16 ounces each) low-sodium pinto beans or black beans

• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling

• 1 medium onion, finely chopped

• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

• 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for a hotter filling, leave the seeds in)

• 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped

• 1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped

• 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (optional; see Note)

• 1 teaspoon ground cumin

• 1 to 3 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste

• 3 cups (about 12 ounces) pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or white Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated

• Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 cup wood chips or chunks (preferably mesquite), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

1 If using poblano peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. If using bell peppers, cut off the tops about 1/2 inch below the stems. Scrape out the veins and seeds, taking care not to puncture the bottoms.

2 Drain the beans, place them in a colander, rinse under cold running water, then drain again.

3 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeños, red bell pepper, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, if using, and cumin and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans, hot sauce, and 2 cups of the cheese. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and/or more hot sauce as necessary. Spoon the bean mixture into the hollowed-out peppers. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, dividing it evenly among the peppers. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cheese.

4 Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

5 When ready to cook, place the peppers in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the peppers until they are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the peppers to a platter or plates and serve at once.

Servings: 6

Drooll!!!!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang it!!!! Thirdeye and Dark Cloud...ya gotta knock it off!!!! I'm slobberin' all over the place!!! I just spent the money I set aside for groceries yesterday...now I wanna try all those great items in the pics!!!! crazy

I had a nice weekend with my 12 year old daughter. We grilled a pizza for lunch on Saturday, cheated and used a premix dough but still used a pizza stone. Turned out great. Baby back ribs in the evening and then Kabobs today for lunch. I know, I'm breaking the Bro Code by showing a woman how to grill but she has some great ideas so it only seems fair.

That is another simply-amazing dish, thirdeye! Who's up for a road trip out west? There's a plume of smoke accomanied by a great smell coming from somewhere in Wyoming. Follow that smoke! grin

i use the same reciepe minus the cucumbers [pickle size]. i have some growing in the garden and hopefully will get a bunch. i'm looking around for the small pickle cukes and have not found them yet. i think the farmers market will be my best bet to buy a bucket. i have put kimchi cukes slices on top of burgers for it blends in well with the other jucy lucy stuff. good luck.

Went to Rainbow yesterday to pick up some $2.49 80/20 ground chuck - 3 lb plus packages. It's actually not the stuff in the tube either. Anyway, the ad said limit of 1.

I grabbed the biggest package I could find, went to the self service check out and asked the attendent if (for sure) the limit was one. He he didn't know. He got busy with something else and never got back to me.

The reason I asked is when I was picking mine up, there was a lady who was putting about six of them in plastic grocery bags she obviously picked up at the register when she walked in. Of course, I had to stick my nose in and ask her if it was indeed a 1 package limit. She looked surprised, said she didn't know and continued to load up. I was in a hurry so I didn't stick around to see what happened when she checked out.

So I asked myself: If I had walked up to self service with 5 packages of burger - would it be up to the attendant to say thats a no no, or would the register just automatically start charging me full price after I swiped the first one? My worst nightmare would have been the register charges me full price, I spend 15 minutes trying to get this attendent to give me a credit while I return the rest, as 3 other people are waiting behind me, starting to get a little PO'd.

I guess life simply boils down to risk vs reward.

i would think the price of each package was priced at sale price unless there is a coupon involved. some people just dont read the ad or any signs or dont care and usualy get away with it at the register. seen it many times. management dont like to get people upset but just hope most people do what the signs say. good luck.

I think thats a good philosphy on the part of management. I guess it comes down Rainbow making an educated bet that customers will follow what the ad says and that someone has educated the employees to enforce it.

Just a heads up if anyone needs charcoal, I was in my local Home Depot today and they had 2 20lb bags of kingsford for $8.

Great deal. i might have to run over and grab some. Ribs are in the fridge as I type.

Just a side note....happened to look at the Hormel ribs at Target on sale...EWWWWW!!! sick All full of huge hunks of yellow fat...looked all freezer burned to me.....

I'm going to do my rack of farmland ribs....and try something a little different. Bought some apple juice concentrate, mixed it quite strong, nuked a Tbsp honey into it, and added a few drops of liquid Hickory Smoke to the mix, for my spray on the ribs. We'll see how it turns out.

Just a side note....happened to look at the Hormel ribs at Target on sale...EWWWWW!!! sick All full of huge hunks of yellow fat...looked all freezer burned to me.....

I'm going to do my rack of farmland ribs....and try something a little different. Bought some apple juice concentrate, mixed it quite strong, nuked a Tbsp honey into it, and added a few drops of liquid Hickory Smoke to the mix, for my spray on the ribs. We'll see how it turns out.

DSC04533cc.jpg

That sounds like a good plan with the apple juice mixture.

I don't have an absolute recipe for my rib juice, but apple juice is the base. I will usually add a little Worcestershire (the anchovies have natural glutamates that wake-up other flavors) and maybe a teaspoon or two of cider vinegar, again to make the other flavors pop. The bottle in the photo has some dried chile peppers of some kind that I threw in that batch. The heat kind of offset the sweet... see what I mean about me not having an absolute recipe?

We have a whole group that is going to be sharing the cooking responsibilties this weekend. Obviously we will have the usual snacks and salads. Saturday night, we are cooking 3 turkeys. One fried, one on the grill, and one trash can turkey. Sunday we are cooking up a prime rib and slicing for sandwiches.

Same as me....A little of this, a little of that...I just keep it in my noggin. I too, use a lot of Worcestershire sauce. I find the Lea & Perrins to me is the best. Thanks to you and a couple others on here, I do the apple juice spray... smile

Here's a link for frying turkeys. I have probably fried at least 200 myself through the years. I have experimented with several different marinades and seasonings and inject them into the bird. I actually have also injected the gravy that comes with some of the birds.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/articles/19903/how-to-deep-fry-a-turkey