• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would You Pass?

JigginGopher

I know there are a number of variables that play into this question (is it early or late season/do i have bigger bucks on cam/etc.) but in general, would you pass on a 125in buck??? I have read posts of people passing on much larger deer and my jaw drops to the ground every time so i'm curious where the majority stands.

P.S. For those who say "yes, i have many bigger bucks around my land," do you need a hunting partner?!?! grin

Yes, Id pass. But not for all the reasons some might think.

I have the privilege of hunting in 3 areas and 2 of them are under intensive harvest the other in lottery. So I have plenty of deer meat every year. I would rather let him Walk and see what he becomes down the road. I havent tagged a buck in quit a while, still waiting them out.

Now if i was bow hunting only in an area that the chances of seeing anything larger are very slim (Public land). Id probably shoot it with bow. But I wouldnt take it with a gun.

If its an 8 point 125" then yes that would be going proudly on my wall. If it's a 10 point or more 125" then he's walking. I have 5 head mounts on the wall and 2 of them are high 120" 8 pointers and I love looking at them as much as I do my other 3.

I'd typically pass but depends on why and where I am out hunting. Meat hunting then I'd take it, early season probably not, mid season might be tempted, late season probably take the shot unless I have meat in the freezer. This year so far I've had 2 120 class deer and possibly a third within shooting distance but 2 of the three were also travelling with a deer that is mid to high 140's so it was a pretty easy choice. Chances are, where I hunt none of those deer will live through the firearms and muzzy seasons but you never know. Where I hunt in Wisc. all those deer between 120-140 are passed due to our parties rules so there isn't a hesitation to pass at anytime of the year over there. Nothing wrong with a 120" deer but you don't eat the antlers so if you think they could walk and make it another year let them go, if you want backstraps and feel like it is your oppurtunity to shoot, go ahead and take the shot and feel good about it. A trophy deer is in the eye of the beholder so what is good for one might not be good for the next. Any deer shot by bow is a trophy in my book horns or not.

Tunrevir~

I won't put a number on what constitutes a "shooter." I have had a few opportunities at young 130" 10 pointers and haven't really considered shooting. However, a heavy horned 300 lb, 125" 8 pointer is in trouble during any season, any time. I had a really nice 10 on opener at 35 yards, I think he's a 3 year old, but I would like another look, big bodied, but light horned, if he is only 3 he'll be a monster next year, if he's 4, the kicker on his right g-2 will add some character, next year.

Mike

Most of the public areas I hunt, a 125" buck is a rare and wonderful animal. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to dump the string on one.

I now have a new private piece of property that holds some promise. I may pass on a deer like that now, but be happy as he11 to take him later in the season. I've got a couple P&Y bucks on the wall, that may make a difference to you too. If you've never shot one that big, then go for it!

Like Tunrevir said, any deer you decide to take with a bow is a trophy in my eyes. Shoot and be proud.

I would pass havent shot a buck in minnesota in three years waiting for the rite one to show up tried last season and choked. with that said first shoot a buck that makes you happy. second never ever pass on a buck early in the season that you would be happy to tag later in the season.

Never try to live up to other peoples expectations or quality of deer they shoot, because you will never be happy. I say if shooting a 125 will make you happy... shoot it!! Here is how you know, if you wake up in the middle of the night so you can go out in the garage and stand there and look at him or if when its at the taxidermist and you call every other month to see if its done, shoot it. A 125 inch whitetail is a beautiful animal for sure!! But if your woods holds more and bigger bucks and you think you can get one and you are gonna wish the rest of the season you wouldnt of shot him, let him walk till next year. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!!

Its all about the land you hunt and what it holds, for me I am on 95% public land and the few small parcels of private land I hunt can often get more pressure then the public land. I probably take a 125 every time bow or gun, something even around 115 will probably get taken with the bow.

You've gotten a lot of great replies and advice here. Don't let anyone else dictate what YOU want to shoot. A 125" whitetail is a darn nice animal and in the places I hunt in MN, I'd probably be shooting if I got an opportunity unless I knew he was young or something bigger was frequenting the area. If you'd be happy walking up to that deer, grabbing those antlers and calling your buddies up then you know what to do!

I like fire29's comment. If you will have no regrets about the deer and he will make you happy, fire away. If you are going to regret it and wish you had waited for a bigger one (assuming there is a bigger one) then don't shoot it.

I personally would wait, if he was still around in November or December, I would stick him if I went the rut and never got a bigger one. But I know there are bigger ones in my area. So take it for what its worth.

That is kind of the key, you have to know what is out there. I think too many people get caught up on a certain score or size of deer they want. Its going to be a long season if you are holding out for a 140 but there are only 120's in your area. Of course during the rut anything can happen but I would prefer to know what is out there and take the best animal I can in my area.