• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would You Pass?

JigginGopher

Nope. But to each their own. An outfitter I know in Wisconsin once told me that guys who head out there for the first time will plug a 140 on the first day, not heading the advice there are some 160 and 170s roaming around. That said, I'd be one of those guys given a 140 would be huge on my hunting grounds.

where I hunted a few years ago it was a large farm with only a couple other hunters and and we all passed on the small bucks but we were still able to get some meat for the freezer. and had a very good chance at a nice buck. but those days are gone on that farm they started to lease all the land. and I was unable to get a lease. so now I hunt an area of the state that gets alot of hunters and if you pass on a deer you might not get one. I dont need another big deer on the wall. I am only out for the meat these days. so I am more likely to pass on a big one(but I wont). So I guess my answer would be no I would not pass on a 120

Since I am not trophy hunting per se, the answer is that I'm gonna take take the animal. But.... nothing is worse than killing a buck right 2 minutes after sunrise on opening day. Shortens the season instantly. The area I hunt, the city of Superior, probably doesn't have many large bucks, and the history of kills support that theory. If I'm hunting where a real trophy possibility exists, I pass on that buck. Personally, I plan to first kill a doe for the freezer and if I get a nice buck, then I'll donate the meat.

Since I have a 140" class buck on my wall I would choose to pass. That is my choice and only mine. There are people out there that have only a few weekends to hunt and or kids to feed, if they get a chance to ventilate it, let her fly. I hunt in a few intesive harvest areas, with a clear over abundance of does, I would much rather shoot a doe instead.

Like a lot of others, it depends on where I am hunting. A deer in the 120 class in northern Minnesota or the UP is a big deer. In Buffalo county WI, or southern farm country MN it's not that big.

Not that it really matters, but this is a gross mischaracterization for alot of Northern MN. There are many areas in Northern MN that have as good, or better, trophy potential as any area in the state. I can't speak for the UP.

My point is, many people who don't think there are big deer around in certain areas simply think so because they haven't seen them. Shoot what makes you happy in the end, but don't change your standards and "blame" the area for a lack of mature deer when the mentality in the area revolves around whackin' and stackin' young bucks because "they just don't get that big around here".

You guys are right, there are big deer in Northern MN and the UP, and I misspoke. I should have said "some" areas in Northern MN and the UP. I have witnessed big deer from both areas and I'm certainly not blaming the area for not growing big deer. That being said, I know I can pass on smaller bucks, "let em go, let em grow" and all that, but you can't eat the antlers.