• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Text messaging and bow hunting!

Finlander

Last year while I was hunting Ripley my son text messaged me at 8:00am. And just about when I was returning my message to him, here comes a buck. So I don't have a glove on the hand I hold the bow with, so by the time I put the phone back in my pocket and grab the bow then proceed to arrow the buck, my hand was frozen. But it didn't take long to warm up after that!

That was the second time that has happened to me. Texting = deer!

Anybody have that happen to you? smile

Ive had a deer staring at me when I have been texting before for who knows how long. When I am sitting for a few hours I get restless sometimes, it helps keep me in the tree when nothing is moving. It does get chilly on the fingers when its below freezing though.

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year, I had just shot a doe, and was texting a buddy to come help me track it from my stand, he was a half hour away so I figured I'd just relax in the tree, I turn and look behind me and there was a really nice 8 pointer 15 yards away, after some tricky moves and a 15 minutes of cat and mouse, he was toast. I agree, just like fishing when you are least prepared, the animals will come. Hence why I try to stay at least 15 yds from my layout blind while goose hunting. If I have to sprint back to it we always see more geese!

Only if it aids you in hunting.

My brother and I were texting back and forth last year. He saw that a nicer buck was moving in my direction, and didn't text me about it. When I got up to relieve myself I scared the buck away as I was climbing down the ladder. My brother could have texted me about the buck coming my way, but knew the law and followed it.

If one texts enough in a stand, a deer should walk by sooner or later.

The odds are with you if you text alot.

I have texted people when in the stand and had deer walk by but that is due to the fact that I was in a high traffic area for deer and could text alot of times and have one walk by.

Try this:

Take a phone pic of the buck standing below you and the vacant stand your daughter was supposed to be in that morning. She didn't want to get up and go out that early so she only got to see the deer via a text. smirk

But yeah, I'd rather not see my phone during a hunt unless I'm checking time.

I almost always leave my phone at camp since my stand is only a couple of hundred yards away. Last year I forgot and shoved it in my outside coat pocket. When my phone started vibrating/buzzing I sure jumped because there were deer right under my tree and they never flinched or looked up. I sure thought it sounded loud but they weren't bothered by it.

I agree, just like fishing when you are least prepared, the animals will come. Hence why I try to stay at least 15 yds from my layout blind while goose hunting. If I have to sprint back to it we always see more geese!

I always thought waterfowl were creepy perverts since they like to come around when i have my waders pulled down taking a leak.

I'm convinced my junk works better than a robo-duck.

im guilty of texting from the stand, as im sure most of us are. however, my texts usually have a picture message of myself sitting in my stand with a quote that says "this is what getting skunked looks like"!! grineek but usually i check my phone hourly to see what the barometer is doing. dont know why, but i rely on barometer for hunting more than anything.

Don't you hunt to get away from all that other junk like texting and so on?? Funny how people can't seem to go without cell phones these days!!

+1

Good? cell phone story for you. I had been hunting a nice wide 10 point a couple years, never saw it except when I was pheasant hunting, neighbor kid ends up seeing it on opening day, shoots it, knocks it down, instead of hustling over and finishing it off, he gets on the cell phone and tells his buddy about the big buck he had just shot - and then the buck gets up and runs away!!! They never found it. If he had been attending to his hunting instead of talking on his cell, he'd have had a trophy.

blackjack, was he bowhunting or firearm? did it just drop or run? usually wouldnt you want to let it sit for a while and let it die? sounds to me murphy was there in the woods with him that day!

Gun hunting. If it was a bow shot and it ran off, give it some time, but if its nice deer and you see it drop, get over there and make sure its dead!!! Then get on your phone!!!