• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who makes Gander and Scheels reels?

Cooter

I know for sure, that Diawa makes line counter for Scheels which is the same exact reel as the Sealine. These reels are an excellent choice because Scheels sells them for about $5 less and also cover any warranty issues.

Diawa does or did for Cabelas. Pflueger I believe does for gander. Just remember, they me be $5-10-20 less... but they usually take something away from the orginal (most often quality parts like replacing metal gears with plastic) to offset the cost.

i never would have thought, but searched quick and found that shakespeare owns pflueger... i've never fished a shakespeare reel that i liked but i love pfluegers. i don't think they are similar products with different names. if someone could clear this it that would be cool.

i have a gander mountain tournament reel. it is one of my favorites. I haven't had it for a year yet but very smooth and no problems yet.

I would guess it changes contantly, I know Cabelas had a line that was made by flueger. They probably just bid it out and take the lowest bid, I'd bet they all come from china.

I have a Cabelas reel and a Diawa that are virtually identical except for a different drag knob design and the labeling. And they both had made in china stickers on them.

Pflueger and shakespeare share a parent company - Pure Fishing. They both existed independently at one point and still manufacture separate products.

From my understanding this is right on the money. Same parent company, different products/mgmt/manufacturing.

I have some Gander Guide Series reels that are identical to Pfluegers and I have been really happy with them. Problem free and super smooth. Going on a few years now. Love em' and a great value!!

From what I have heard shakespeare and pflueger are both made in the same factory. There is obviously a big difference between the two. Eventhough I am partial to shimano, I do have a few pflueger spinning reels and they are smoooooth.

Not all the of Gander reels are made by shakespeare/pflueger. The high end spinning reels (tournament on up) are but the lower end are varied manufacturers. The older low pro baitcasters were pinnacle and the round ones were pflueger. The new for this year baitcasters are made by quantum.

It all boils down to do you buy a ford or lincoln mercury?

Chevy or buick or once a upon time pontica? Minnkota or gamefisher from sears?( trolling motors)

Pflueger, makes alot of reels for other store brands, alittle tweek here and there. Spools, paint, labels.

I have a Cabelas, gander and a pflueger reel and can trade spools with each. Each reel comes with an extra spool but this is crazy for the combos of lines you can now do.

Shakesphere makes both from what I was told at GM. The trion spinning and tournament guide series are the same reel. Model numbers are the same with a letter or two difference. I have the guide series model and really like it. I am getting the trion version because I can get it at a cheaper price.

On a similar note I think Pflueger makes the Sheels/Gander rods as well.

I dont even know if pflueger makes their own rods, probably out sourced to some overseas company so in that sense they could be made by the same company. Gander has different companies making their rods depending on models.

I started out buying one reel from Scheels and one from Gander, and now I think all 5 of my reels are either Gander ones or Scheels ones. I think I have 2 of the higher quality Scheels ones (about $25 each) and I have 1 of the slightly lower quality ones ($15). Then I have 2 Gander Mountain higher end ones. All for Ice Fishing. They are all smooth and have instant stop with no back play when you set the hook or reel up which was very important to me. They are also very smooth and work great on my ultralights and medium action rods.

Most of my summer ones I've bought from Gander are the Mitchell ones they sell. So far I have no complaints with those either!

I got 3 of Ganders professional GMP-110A's and they are junk. Supposed to be 10 ball bearings. They have jerky drags and the drag clickers went out on all them as well. I got them on sale at the end of last ice season thinking at that price if they last 2 ice seasons Ill be happy. Well they didnt even make 1. Absolute JUNK! Ill just pay more and keep getting Ticas or Shimano Sedona 500's.