• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who makes Gander and Scheels reels?

Cooter

I'm not a big fan of any reel made in china but the nice thing about the Cabelas reels is they basically have a lifetime warrenty.

I had the line counter reel for a year or 2 (it's been a decent reel) and I walked into cabelas one day and exchanged it for the smaller size, no questions asked.

In fact that is how any exchange or return at cabelas has gone for me.

I got 3 of Ganders professional GMP-110A's and they are junk. Supposed to be 10 ball bearings. They have jerky drags and the drag clickers went out on all them as well. I got them on sale at the end of last ice season thinking at that price if they last 2 ice seasons Ill be happy. Well they didnt even make 1. Absolute JUNK! Ill just pay more and keep getting Ticas or Shimano Sedona 500's.

I have had the opposite experience. I went away from Shimano as I had the drag go out on back to back reels (sedona's I think). I have five of the Gander Professional reels now without any problems in the last 3-4 years. Guess we each got a bad batch of the opposite ones!

I have a scheels outfitters 5bb real i got 3 years ago that came on an icefishing pole (for like $45). I use it for both icefishing and on my lightweight rod in summer and never had a problem with it. Granted im not out fishing with it 3 days a week but it does get its fair share of use.

Ganders new line will have Pflueger spinning reels again.

With high end Quantum Pti's and PT's in the New casting reel line with the new Titanium Series leading the way. A big step up from the last series in the bait casting line. I checked them out, very nice reels.

I found out after 2 tries that the gander mountain reels are complete junk. Had the Tournament, traded it within a month because it was junk, for Professional, that puked right away too! From now on Shimano Sedona 500 FD. More loot, better product. I have a Shimano 500 D that is probably 20 years old that is still rock steady!

Word on the street is scheels went to quantum this year and they are only having a middle grad $80 dollar reel really bums me out there last series of reels were solid and made by diawa they're rods are off branded every other year and there usually really lite and sensitive

Pflueger does NOT make Gander Mountaing reels. I just got an email confirming that from Pflueger. Honestly folks, if you don't know who makes the reel, DON'T comment. I'm looking into Shakespear now, I'll post it if they reply positively.

3 hours ago, troy7k said:

Pflueger does NOT make Gander Mountaing reels. I just got an email confirming that from Pflueger. Honestly folks, if you don't know who makes the reel, DON'T comment. I'm looking into Shakespear now, I'll post it if they reply positively.

To be, or not to be, that is the question.

3 hours ago, troy7k said:

Keep in mind that you're replying to a thread that is over 7 years old and also don't forget the fact that Gander Mountain doesn't even exist anymore.  It was bought out by Camping World and rebranded as Gander Outdoors.  Who made the reels in 2012 and who makes the reels now are very likely not the same company.

Edited by nofishfisherman

Shakespear doesn't make these reels either. Never has, Pflueger never has either. Honestly, it doesn't matter how old the post is. I'm still looking and when I find out who makes the reels, I will post the accurate information. Even if it's 7 years old, getting reel parts, especially extra spool assemblies is kind of important to many who need this sort of thing.

Okuma is one manufacture that another site has suggested. I'll keep posting until I find the actual manufacturer.

In doing a search for who manufactures this reel on google, for some stange reason, this post comes up. Hopefully when somone else needs this info, and this post comes up, they will get an accurate answer.

Do most of these companies (mentioned above) actually make their own reels or do they simply provide their designs to an outsourced manufacturer ??   

In many industries, competitors actually use the same production lines.