• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

List your favorite small town meat markets here

Heidi

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osseo meats is excellent and I work only half a block away. We do their beef tenderloin, prime rib and others thing all the time at work. Send their jerky to my daughter in Chicago and she loves it and she doesn't eat meat but can't pass that up. grin

If you are in St. Paul and are near downtown buy a porketta from Cossetta's.

Quote:
Zup's in Ely. The sausages are excellent, and they even went online for ordering several years back.

Their polish are a staple for ice-fishing!

Couldn't agree more Jackpine. Whenever I go in there I reserve an extra 1/2 hour cause I know I will always run into someone to shoot the bull with. Was up for Thanksgiving and ended up coming home with a chest cooler full of:

15 Lb Prime Rib cut into 3 roasts (On Sale)

Wild Rice Stuffed 6 lb chicken

Mock Chicken Legs - (great slow grilled on tin foil)

Potato & Blood Sausage

4 lb Porketta Roast

Wild Rice Brats

Porketta Brats

Pollakers.

This should hold me over till the next trip up.

what cut of meat do you use for that? loin? thanks, looks great will have to try the recipe out

pork butt is a good cut. loin is a little to lean. try the jelly-roll method and spread seasoning inside and re-roll. season outside as well.

My wife (4WheelinMama) forgot to add that Nerstrand Meats has Ribeye Steaks that are sooooooo tender that they can be cut with a butter knife! Of course that is if she cooks and not me.

The way deer hunting is going this year, we may be buying more beef than I was planning.

Some of my favorites already stated:

Osseo Meat Market (Great Ribeyes) - Osseo MN

McDonalds Meat Market (awesome snack sticks) - Clear Lake MN

Louies Meat Market (Great sausage) - Cumberland Wisconsin

Some of my favorites not mentioned:

Nueske's - Wittenberg WI (Hands down the best bacon produced)

Newton Meats - Newton WI (Great Bacon smoked fresh)

Nolecheck Meats - Thorp WI (Great everything)

On a side note I have a deal going with my old college roomate. We call it 'Bacon of the Month' club. The deal is we buy 2 lbs of bacon at every meat market we come across and exchange once year. I think we'll keep it up until one of us dies of a heart attack.

I know it isn't a Small Market so to speak, but the Hy-Vee in New Ulm makes the BEST brats out of anywhere I have tried. My Dad worked in the Bakery there a long time ago and IDK the guys name who ran the butchers shop in there but he always made the best stuff. Im not sure if hes still there, but they use his recepies still and we go down there a couple times a year to get brats.

Schmidts in Nicollet gets a vote too. My Grandma would always drive up there from the farm in Lewisville and load up on stuff. The breakfeast sausage was the best.