• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Hunting Photos

harvey lee

Halloween buck, shot 425 yesterday afternoon. full-10770-50625-002.jpg

This is a buck we called Slippery. He came in to 5 yards 2 weeks ago and handcuffed me and I couldn't get a shot and then proceeded down the woodlot towards my buddies stand and busted him as he drew and slipped right by the both of us. Yesterday afternoon I was watching a fork with my binoculars and decided to grunt a few times to see if I could get his attention. While watching with my binoculars, this buck came in with the wind, from behind me, and then off to my right and nearly gave me the slip again. What to do, binoculars in hand bow between my knees and nothing to hang the bino's off from as I did not have the strap around my neck. I decided to drop them into my jacket and try and shift and get my bow into place all while this deer was scent checking some doe pee from the previous evening at 10 yards out. He went on high alert when I shifted in the stand to get into position to shoot and bounded a couple hops. At that point I figured he was going to give me the slip once again. As he started to canter towards a clump of trees I gave a short wheeze and he stopped. I came to full draw as he stood behind the trees at 25 yards. Three steps later he cleared the trees and I sent an arrow his way. Quartering away slightly I hit back by the rib cage and caught the lungs on the way through. I texted a hunting buddy and headed right over to assist with getting the deer out of the woods. I waited 1/2 an hour and then got down and looked for my arrow. Arrow was covered in rich red blood and I had good sign within the first 5 yards. I began to track the deer moving slowly and looking ahead for any sign of him. At 50 yards there were to large puddles of blood spraying out both sides with a slight froth. Good lung hit I thought. In 20 yards I came to a spot where it appeared he had bedded down and could see a pinkish watery blood spot which I assumed was blood and saliva mixed but no deer in sight. My friend arrived and we looked at the sign and tracked the deer another 30 yards where the blood sign went to drops rather then sprays. I figured we would see him piled up within the next 20 yards but no such luck. With light fading we decided to mark the spot and come back this morning to finish the tracking. A night of restless sleep and we reconvened at the blood trail 730 this morning only to find scant few drops and a trail going cold near the edge of a swamp. The deer apparently did a ninety degree turn at the edge of the swamp to continue through the woodlot skirting the openings. It took about 45 minutes to figure out the sudden direction change and begin tracking again. 60 yards later we found him piled up and in one piece. The coyotes lost out on a free meal and I was elated and very grateful for my 2 buddies that came out to help look for him with me. I am sure both of them would have preferred to be on stand this morning rather then helping me look for my deer. MY hat is off to them and I plan on returning the favor any chance I get in the future! Upon opening the deer up I got liver on the nearside and the offside lung. The lesson I learned today is that when I saw the deer got up from being bedded I should have backed out and waited but in my excitement I wanted to push ahead and look for my prize. Thinking back and going forward I am going to wait a bit longer before pursuing my next shot. A happy ending and memories made with two fine hunting buds as well as some knowledge when looking at blood spoor will make my future hunts even better. No tag soup for me this year.

Tunrevir~

awesome buck!!! I told my father in-law that he should have been in his deer stand Halloween instead of down in the cities to watch my kids trick or treat...sure enough he gets home on Saturday and there is a picture of a big buck right in front of his stand during shooting hours!! If your a bow hunter I have learned you need to be in the stand on Halloween!!! Good luck to all this coming few weeks

My first archery buck, taken on October 24th. Was nervous at first as the shot looked slightly high. Watched him run about 60 yards, then he fell over, so I was able to confirm he was down without ever leaving the stand. Ended up being a perfect shot through the lungs, and while field dressing I noticed the heart had a nice 1 inch gash through it.

It was a pretty great feeling to finally get a buck with the bow! He is a main frame 10 with an 11th kicker on the right side.

full-11979-50657-11ptclean3.jpg

full-11979-50658-11ptantlersonly.jpg

Great buck tunrevir! ! Halloween means only one thing to me-time to be in my stand!!

Your decision to learn from taking a bit more time to start tracking and to back out after finding he'd moved from where he first bedded down will pay dividends in the future. I learned that one the hard way and since then I give them 2-4 hours if I can before going after them. If they are dead they aren't going anywhere :-)

Congrats again on a great deer and a fun story to go with it!

Nice deer guys! Congrats!

I really cooled my jets on deer hunting this year and decided to enjoy the other things MN offers in the fall. I've missed fall fishing and bird hunting so that's where I've been focused - and I've had some wonderful times.

My deer goals this year were to get two in our freezer sooner rather than later and get our daughter on a buck in rifle season. Ripley didn't pan out so I slipped in an evening on a stand at a farm in western MN I used to be part of lease on. Their stand was in a spot I staked out years ago but haven't been back since the farm went back into production. It produced two bucks already this year and they were kind enough to leave it for my visit on Sunday.

In the stand at 3 pm. Watched two button bucks feed for a while, and waited a few more minutes until something a little heavier came out. Out of the stand at 4 pm.

full-17997-50703-photo1.jpg

Sometimes the easy one is the right one.

Going home last night with my processing supplies I came across two fresh roadies. I stopped at the cop shop for a permit and salvaged half of each. Still good, clean smelling venison. I feel a little blessed right now.