• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early (when we were young) jobs

genegodawa

anybody detassel corn for jacques seed company? made $1.85hr walking up/down rows of seed corn for 8-12 hours a day pulling the tassels off the tops of each plant so they wouldn't pollinate. made my first $100 paycheck, that was a big deal for a 12 year old that was 4' nuthin and corn over his head.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unloading watermellon (vegetable) trucks back in high school was one of my more interesting jobs. The watermellons were in the bed of a semi truck surrounded by straw. There was the occasional rotten one that would disintegrate as you picked them up.

One of my favorite jobs after high school was being a ski lift operator at a Colorado ski resort. One day I remember loading President Carter and the former first lady on the chair.

1 Baby sitter; Beer, whiskey, and a safe place to consume them

2 dishwasher; $3.35

3 ski rental shop at Sugar Hills, lots of snow bunnies needing help with thier boots; $3.35 plus

4 aluminum can recycler in college: I emptied the beer from the can so it could be recycled; hangovers

first job was last year at a drycleaners

most of the time i got paid ($6.50) to sit and watch tv and do my homework...but other times it was so busy i wanted to "accidently" lock the door and not let anyone else in....lol

some customers were nice...others i wanted to have nothing to do with

one time a lady brought in almost 200 pieces to be cleaned...while tagging everything...we found a pair of her...ummmm...."unmentionables"

My first job I got at 15. I tied Grapes for a Grape farmer in upstate NY. I was paid $6 an hour.

That summer I also worked as a Live in Nanny for a few months

When I got out of high school I worked in a grocery store in the meat dept.

I have worked in a bakery as a cake decorator and now I work at a local community college in their food service Dept

Started working for my Dad in his grocey store in Cooperstown, ND when I was in third grade. My brother (second grader) and I had to re-bag the 100lb potato bags into 10lb bags. We got paid a dollar per 100 lber. So, we each got 50 cents. Then, Dad made us open a savings account and we had to put half of what we made into savings. So, we'd walk into the bank with our check for $4.96 (after taxes) and tell the teller we'd like to put $2.48 in saving and we would like the rest in cash. Our other job at the store was to help unload the truck two mornings a week. In those days, the boxes came flying down a roller off the truck. My brother and I would stand, basically in the way, and stop the boxes until Dad could get back and remove them. Best benefit of that part of the job was the free breakfast at Andy's Cafe. We could have anything we wanted as long as we didn't order meat (too expensive).

Once we got a little money in the account, my brother and I asked Dad if we could buy a television for our bedroom. He agreed and we went down to Fossum's TV and Electronics. We picked out a 19 inch black and white set and Dad agreed that $79.00 plus tax was a fair price for it. So, my brother and I were ready to head to the bank and drain that savings account. Dad told Mr Fossum that we'd be back telling him that the boys were buying it and they would have to go down to the bank and take out a loan for it. What the... We had to apply for a loan and were approved. Got the money and went back to buy the television.

Lesson number one should be not to work for your Dad at that age. One day, someone bumped the old balance scale and we were only getting eight 10lb bags out of a hundred pound sack. We apparently weren't too concerned (we were only second and third graders for crying out loud). Dad was PO'd. We had to re-bag every one we had done on OUR time.

First job was an usher at the old Met Stadium for the Minnesota Twins (Sims Security). That was in 1963. Was paid $4.00 a game and $6.00 for a double-header. We had to be at the stadium 2 1/2 hours before game time and were not permitted to leave until a hour after the game. Needless to say, it was a long day.

My very first job was when i was 12 and after school i would walk to my dads business....which happend to be a brickyard...and i would stack brick from 3:30 to 5:00pm...and the pay was a 10oz glass pop (orange crush). Second job was bagging groceries. Third job is now the manager of a Brickyard. Been in the Brick business for 18 years. started when i was 12.

My first part time job in a mailroom was in 1982 doing various manual labor jobs and I made $3.65/hour. Took a different position w/in company in front office and moved up to $4.00/hour. Thought I was moving up big time back in the day. No computers were used then. Everything done by hand and used triplicate forms.

1981, my first job was delivering the Minneapolis Star & Sickle. whistle

1982, second job was a caddie for Hazeltine National for about $8 to $10 per round (don’t quite remember) + tips. I did that for two summers. I’ll never forget my first round out as a caddie. It was pouring steady rain all day and I carried an oversized weighted down bag for a Dr. who couldn’t golf worth a $chit…(a Dr. who couldn’t golf, hmm-??? confused) He hacked his way through a full round that took about 6 hours next to about the normal 4. At the end I was freezing, exhausted and my feet looked like prunes when I finally pulled my shoes off. When it came time for my tip, the guy tipped my a whole .50 cents! mad I should have given it back to him and tell him to reinvest it in golfing lessons! smirk

1984, greenhouse.

Summers of 85 and 86 Gedney Pickle which is one of my least favorite ever. You went home smelling like a pickle every day. sick

Pin-setter at the local bowling ally. If I remember right I think I got .10 a game.

Guess you and I are the only ones to have done that and you're right, it was $.10 a line. I learned real quick to send the ball back last, caught more than one in the shins. We used to have a wire hook back there and if a pretty girl was bowling, we could knock down and extra pin or two for her. grin

Worked as a block tender man I thought I was in shape from the sports and lifting I did but I learned real quick what hard work is. Tip, first job that is hard work must have power steering in car. laugh

I was a block tender/cement finisher before I went into the Army and I think that I was the only one that got out of shape by the end of basic training grin

JR high & High School - Picking rocks, pulling weeds, bailing hay.

College summers - Moving buildings (moving day, that was the "easy" day ) rest of the time spent pounding holes, digging tunnels, hauling cribbing and beams, jacks, ect.

and small time truck driver - hauling / spreading gravel on township roads. FUN for about 2 weeks, but way easier and better paying than house moving.

bailing hay, cutting grass, cleaning barn

then i got the job at the bait shop!!!!

worked there through high school

menards and cabelas during college

now i pump S#it

im serious i pump dairy and hog manure in spring and fall

pound nails in the summer and well i guess i just go fishing in the winter, i will pound nails if somebody cons me into it.