• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best rock and roll band of all TIME!!! vote for your fav!

Kodiak

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of bands had great albums at one-time or another that I have listened to but just never got into their other albums (Deep Purple, Van Halen, Who, Led Zeppelin, J Geils, and on and on). But I guess that should be a diff thread.

I don't know about best, but my favorites would include Yes, Uriah Heep, and the Eagles.

Hard to pick one. I'll agree with lawdog on Zepplin. I was just listening to Physical Graffiti the other day - pure masterpiece.

I tend to go for stuff that does not get as much airplay - Todd Rundgren and Utopia have done some great things.

Van Halen in their prime with Dave were great too. I love Fair Warning. Eddie was very angry on that record, and it resulted is some of his best work. That intro to Mean Street makes my hair stand on end every time.

Frank Marino and Mahogony Rush were great - very underrated.

Some of the mid career Replacement's records were good stuff. Paul Westerberg is a heck of a song writer.

The Clash's London Calling spends a lot of time in the CD player in my truck.

I also really like the first two Def Leppard albums, along with Pyromania. After that, it got a tad commercial.

As long as I am on British music, I was, and still am, a big fan of Iron Maiden.

I can't get enough of the Who either. They were able to sustain high quality stuff from the sixties into the mid 80's, despite the death of Keith Moon.

Definitely lots of good old rock tunes out there! They just can't jam like they used to either. I'd have to say my personal favorite (most influential) album was In Rock by Deep Purple. I just loved playing my sound track record from 2001 A Space Odyssey...then my Dad's little sister gave me the In Rock album and my Dad's stereo was never the same after that. I did end up blowing one of the speakers but I had to see how well I could hear Child In Time from down the block a ways.

And then came Alice cooper, Kiss, Aerosmith, Nugent, Queen, Nazareth, Sabbath, Angel, Rush, Floyd, etc. etc. etc. Now I listen to WCCO grin.gif

My favorite band, is you guessed it, the grateful dead. I don't think they were the best band of all time. Some nights they played like they were the best band in the world, other nights their playing was flat and they bombed it. I like live music, and the dead were pioneers and truly one of the best live bands of all time.

That being said, I think trying to place one band as the "best of all time" is like comparing apples to oranges. All of the great bands had something in particular that they excelled at, which was usally unique from another band. At their apex, I think bands like the Grateful Dead, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc., could have been called the best in the world. It all depends on the mood you're in at the time, how you feel the music, and how the band is playing. It's too subjective an argument to get a true answer.

Though, I do remember fighting in high school over who was a better band, zeppelin or the stones. Of course Zeppelin ruled then tongue.gifgrin.gif

Some good groups have been mentioned and I would have to say Pink Floyd and Queen and Aerosmith had come to my mind earlier. Never was a Deadhead and there were some that I was only casually exposed to, like Mahogany Rush, but the one that stands out for all-out hard rock that I like too would be Nazareth. Can't get enough of their greatest hits and I just love doing alittle "Razz a Manazz" (sp?) when I can.

Lots of good ones listed above.

For "sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs" party tunes, I'd have to say: AC/DC, Van Halen, Nazareth, Def Leppard, and Metallica

For jammin' out: Rush tops my list. Neil Peart is only the best drummer this world has ever seen!

I also have to say Jimmy Buffet tunes have a lot of great memories associated with them too. cool.gif

hmmm best of all time... or best in their time . i have been a rocker for many years. and have gone thru many phases of rock and roll. the 70s rock does the best for me nazereth. areosmith (toys in the attic) rush (2112) jethro tull (to old to rock and roll, to young to die. and passion play) deep purple (storm bringer) and many more titles, led zepplin, janis joplin, jimmy hendrix, doors, dead, boston, elo, eric clapton, in his early days, journey, kiss, beatles, i could go on for a while i have a couple of hundred cassettes and a few large stacks of cds and a closet shelf full of ( oh dump i am gonna date myself here) ALBUMS yes albums those vinal thingies that we used to put on turntables. heheheheh . ... paul