• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch Cover Sleeve Cut Height

Leech- I will only leave the car running if I'm hole hopping from the drivers seat or for extreme cold. Window icing from the buddy heater will also factor in. The wind and ventilation options of 4 windows kept me completley clear sunday. All windows made excellent use of tbe 5 minutes of mid day sunshine..

Thanks for the positive feedback. It's been 100% with the guys. Had a gawker at the first fill up. For the most part the women are huh?

Bring on some more ice! 

20200105_160209.jpg

20200105_162319.jpg

Edited by 1968

I am thinking you need some sort of drop down sleeve with that thing.  Maybe a sleeve within the sleeve.  Seems like it would get banged up going down the road. 

Not to be a Debbie downer, but make sure you've got some ventilation if you're running a buddy heater in there.  

Also, great toilet for your passengers when going down the freeway.

That is a sweet rig though. Good work.

Edited by bobbymalone

14 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I'm thinking he takes them out to drive, that may be why he has them marked R&L on the top edge of them? 

Well it should be pneumatic, obviously.

Do you have to drill holes and line em up?  I'm having a hard time visualizing an assembled kdrill having clearance.

Catch covers http://catchcover.com come with tight fitting lids. I also filled in the dead space underneath them and their frames with expanding foam. There is a 1/2 inch difference between holes so there is a left and right sleeve. Glad I didnt home brew a hatch and bucket system.

Drilling was done from the back seat. Should be good to almost 2 feet of ice. The auger is easily accessible from in or out. 

For hole hopping I plan on using the bird with the lakemaster card to lay a path with the car, getting out to drill that path, then hopping without a sleeve. If that is too drafty I might try a 9 inch sleeve that gives a 4 inch gap. 

Could take all season to dial it in but the maiden voyage had me smiling. 

So... now all you need to fab up is a rattle reel with a seatbelt end to use for your dead stick and you'll be golden! Very cool.

......searching C-list for used mini-vans as we speak

Edited by rl_sd

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

So... now all you need to fab up is a rattle reel with a seatbelt end to use for your dead stick and you'll be golden! Very cool.

......searching C-list for used mini-vans as we speak

Rattle reel was put on the list early on during the build. 

Chrysler minivans with stow-and-go seats removed are a good candidate. Those compartments might even get away with the 9 inch sleeves readily available at FF.  Whatever you look at, check for obstructions.

The old CHEVY Astro van's with AWD would be a good one to get on and off of lakes better with.  And their not as high as a cargo van for the sleeves.

Edited by leech~~

On 1/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, elkrivermn said:

Have you tried trolling with a daredevil yet?

Don't think I want to straddle any cracks with my car..

I did drill/hole hop from the drivers seat this weekend, then got in back when I found some action. That worked great as the dead stick ended up being the better method. 

On 1/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, bobbymalone said:

Also, great toilet for your passengers when going down the freeway.

I pulled the R cover off at highway speed this weekend. It seemed to be a slightly negative pressure with only minor turbulence towards the rear of the hole. Could be risky unless you sit down and plug the hole with your behind, space toilet style. That would obviously present other risks, I regularly see roadkill porcupines in my travels. .  

2 hours ago, 1968 said:

Don't think I want to straddle any cracks with my car..

I did drill/hole hop from the drivers seat this weekend, then got in back when I found some action. That worked great as the dead stick ended up being the better method. 

I pulled the R cover off at highway speed this weekend. It seemed to be a slightly negative pressure with only minor turbulence towards the rear of the hole. Could be risky unless you sit down and plug the hole with your behind, space toilet style. That would obviously present other risks, I regularly see roadkill porcupines in my travels. .  

Just cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon pail and put one of those seats on the top.   

Well the portable wheel house rocks! Sure gets the looks though, a few sleds always stop to take pics. All of the them rubber neck my way. Hole hopped from the drivers seat without ever stepping outside the whole time out last sunday in the strong winds. Pretty much had the lake to myself, I like that..  Took a while but I found aggressive biters. Never even sleeved the hole and had wind only come in once when a collapsed side of the cone around a hole scooped air upwards. Starting with a warm car and dressed at a medium level I don't even need heat if it's at least upper 20's, and that's without sunshine. 

Also, after thinking about it and reading the regs I bought a shelter license and sharpied my dnr# on a window. "Wheeled fish houses" seemed pretty clear. Now the big question, can I crack a beer without having to exit the car?  I feel it should be boating rules while out on a lake in a licensed fish house. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, 1968 said:

. Now the big question, can I crack a beer without having to exit the car?  I feel it should be boating rules while out on a lake in a licensed fish house. 

Hmmmm. Since it is licensed as a motor vehicle, not sure if I would chance it

On 2/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, 1968 said:

Well the portable wheel house rocks! Sure gets the looks though, a few sleds always stop to take pics. All of the them rubber neck my way. Hole hopped from the drivers seat without ever stepping outside the whole time out last sunday in the strong winds. Pretty much had the lake to myself, I like that..  Took a while but I found aggressive biters. Never even sleeved the hole and had wind only come in once when a collapsed side of the cone around a hole scooped air upwards. Starting with a warm car and dressed at a medium level I don't even need heat if it's at least upper 20's, and that's without sunshine. 

Also, after thinking about it and reading the regs I bought a shelter license and sharpied my dnr# on a window. "Wheeled fish houses" seemed pretty clear. Now the big question, can I crack a beer without having to exit the car?  I feel it should be boating rules while out on a lake in a licensed fish house. 

I believe your car is a watercraft on the lake and you can drink, just can't drive drunk.

This has really been the best hole hopping device you could ask for. Reel up, lift the ducer, and drive over another hole. Haven't even bothered with a sleeve for a while. Hate to see the season winding down. Had a productive run and definitely going to need some rug doctoring when it's done!