• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015 Unguided Public Land MT Elk Hunt

Scoot

Sorry folks, for the first time in a very long time I won't be writing up a story for my elk hunt.  My regular hunting buddies couldn't make it this year and instead, I took a guy who has been begging me to hunt for a decade or so and a newer friend who I met when I moved to Ada.  We packed almost 6 miles with our camps on our back only to find wolves had overrun the drainage we wanted to hunt.  They were everywhere and had either eaten or run off all of the elk in the area.  We started to pack out when the snow started and it turned out it was good that we left- they got well over two feet of snow up there over the next couple days. 

After the rough start we hunted an area I've hunted before and we found a ton of elk- there were elk everywhere!  We got on four bulls and almost sealed the deal on one of them.  The wind snookered us several times and we never did loose an arrow.  But the elk were there!  It was a long, tough hump outta the area we found the elk and my partners were a wreck.  Physically they were unprepared for the effort we had put in during the three days of hunting.  The 6 miles in and 6 miles out plus the step country we found the elk in was all just too much for them.  Aaron told me "You and I are cut from a different clothe.  If this is what it takes to kill an elk, I refuse do it."  Tim was totally willing, but his body was not cooperating well anymore.  After discussing it in the AM the next day, we decided to pack up and come home.  They made it three days on an eight day hunt and couldn't do it anymore.  I, of course, had no interest in coming home, but they both were done and I didn't want to be a jerk and make them stay there for four days while I hunted.   

Also, it rained and snowed for most of the trip and it made taking pictures really, really tough.  My camera was in a Ziploc bag inside my pack for most of my trip.  My hands were soaking wet and cold as heck most of the time and they didn't want to work well most of the time.  Therefore, I didn't take many pictures at all. 

In total, this was the worst trip I've ever been on and all three of us who went on this trip learned something.  Besides several other things, I learned an ever greater appreciation for my regular hunting buddies (I appreciated them before too).  I learned a lesson I'd read about from others, but better understand the degree that one needs to be matched physically with your hunting buddies.  I also found one person who I will never hunt with again.  So, the eight days I look forward to all year long was ruined and I'm at home miserable and crabby as heck.  There are worse problems to have without a doubt, but I'm struggling to have that kind of perspective right now.  I would love to go back out there, but can't be gone from home or work in the next while again, so my chance at an elk is done for the year.  Sure sucks!  I'll be at home crying in my beer for a while on this one...

Well I have great respect for you, taking unprepared hunters that just don't have "it" to tackle a hunt like that.  It seems like you love to share your experiences out west and you'd like others to see for themselves. It's just too bad that others look at it as hard work that's not worth the effort once out there.  If they don't have the drive to prepare, they don't have the drive to achieve goals out there. Sacrificing your time thoughout the year to prep yourself and then have to give up the hunt that you're accustom to because of others is tough to swallow.

Id rather bring my son that's only 9 and carry more weight for myself than to deal with what you went through.

Better luck with the wolves and weather next time.

What a bummer.  That's a lot of hours preparing and a good chunk of change for a license to be have to call it quits after 3 days. 

Time to get Ryan his first deer and start dreaming about 2016 elk.  With your quota of bad luck obviously filled, just maybe next year will be your year for New Mexico!  I've also heard one of the best cures for the elk hunting blues is to scout for prairie chickens :grin:.  Not sure if there is any truth to that or not, though.

I've also heard one of the best cures for the elk hunting blues is to scout for prairie chickens :grin:.  Not sure if there is any truth to that or not, though.

Nope, definitely no truth to that!!! 

I suggest going back for in a couple weeks if you can.  

I've thought about it, but my goose is cooked.  This was the only window of time I could squeeze in this year.  Between work, wife, two young kids, and a bunch of obligations, this was it. 

Thanks for the replies, fellas.  I realize there are much bigger problems in life than this and I'm trying to keep perspective regarding that.  I'm still POd and moderately depressed about it, but  definitely learned a lesson or two.  I've had some wonderful trips in the past and I'll have some fun trips in the future.  I'll go home tonight and spend time with my wife and kids and I'll see my family over the next couple weeks- things could be much worse.   

I'm mad and that dirty SOG only robbed me of a good elk thread on here. I would be slightly more mad if he had robbed my of 4 days hunting in the mountains. You are a better man than I.  I just can't imagine being those guys and making you leave. If I was too out of shape I would have pleaded that you stay and finish it out. At least they would have gotten a sweet camping trip out of it. 

Thanks guys.  I've settled down a bit and I'm not as steaming mad as I was a few days ago.  I ended up mismatchd pretty badly with hunting partners on this trip and I made several mistakes.  I tried to be clear about what the trip would like, but I must not have been clear enough.  I talked to both guys yesterday and they are still so sore they can hardly walk.  Obviously, they weren't even close to prepared for this kind of trip. 

There's a glimmer of hope that I may sneak back out there again.  I'm not sure when or how yet, but I just can't let an $800 tag get wasted with no real chance at filling it.  If I go back out there and don't punch my tag, I'll feel a lot better about the fact that I gave it my all. Even if I don' go back out there, I'll know tried my best to go.  We'll see-hopefully I can sneak out for a few days. 

Dang, this is NOT what I expected to read in this thread. That is a huge bummer Scoot. I feel terrible for you. I can't imagine waiting so long to do one of the most challenging (but rewarding) things I know of, only to have to leave after just a few short days. There is no question about it, elk hunting the backcountry is NOT for the faint of heart. You gotta be mentally and physically prepared for it or it will KICK YOUR BUTT. That's why I love it though. Not everyone is cut out to do it and it allows you to get to places some just aren't willing to go. 

I'm in the same boat as you. Came up empty and really wish I had time to make another trip out to Montana and give it a shot with the rifle. Highly doubt that will happen though. Hope you are able to find the time to have another crack at them!

After much whining, crying, and thought I have decided to make a quick bonsai trip back to MT for another chance to punch my tag.  I'll drive through the night to get there and to get home, but I'll get either 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 days to try fill my tag.  I leave one week from right now!  Lots of work to do between now and then (not the least of which is to try get my son a deer) and lots of planning and prep too, but I'm excited to get back there and have a legit chance to hang my tag on an elk.  My brother and a buddy are going, neither of which will have a license.  They'll just be coming with me to help spot, call, haul, and keep the campfire warm.  Can't wait! 

Thanks guys!  Regardless of whether or not I kill an elk, I can at least quit moping around the house!  :)  I'll get a chance to give it my all and I'll come home feeling good about the effort- elk or no elk!  Busier than heck and I have no business going, but I'm going anyway.  Can't wait!!!

Man, am I glad to hear you're heading back out there. I know its a long shot to try and fill an elk tag in a weekend, but if there is anyone I would consider up for the challenge, I know you will try 110%. 

Some of the best info I've read is how to hunt when you only have a weekend. I know you will pull out all the stops. Don't be afraid to spend the night on the mountain and spike or bivy out where the elk are. I know you don't waste time in camp, but this probably won't be the most relaxing trip. 

Good luck Scoot! You deserve the chance to redeem your season. I can't wait to hear about it.