• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 plans???

Scoot

What's everyone's plan for bowhunting in 2013? I try to do a fun trip or adventure every Fall and I do my best to make it out West somewhere. This year I've got a work conference smack dab in the middle of Sep that I need to be at (skipped it last year for our MT elk hunt), so an elk or muley hunt West of ND is out of the picture for me this year. I plan to cash in my MN bear points and hunt bear for the first time. Having never done it, I think it'll be fun and something different. I'm also going to do a ND mule deer trip with a handful of guys too, probably in early Oct. We'll camp somewhere at a basecamp and possibly bivy into a no motorized vehicle zone for a night or two. I'm hoping to make it a five or seven day trip, but we'll have to see if that flies with the ways and means committee.

How about you guys and gals? What's the plan??? Now is the time to put it together! If you don't start planning something now, you'll be stuck with either no good options or the same ol' same ol'. The same ol' may be good for you, but nothing beats something new, with some sense of adventure to it...

Well, I purchased a new (used) bow last year so I'm really excited to get it out hunting for the first time this year. I'll start out the year trying to bag my first archery turkey this spring. Then with a little bit of luck I should draw a Wyoming elk tag, and I'll spend a week or so chasing elk for the first time with my dad. Our plan is to backpack into the mountains a few miles and hunt out of a spike camp. A day or two bivy adventure is not out of the question depending on if and where we find elk. Recent history says we should have a 95-100% chance of drawing the tag, but if we fail to draw, we may look into applying for New Mexico elk, or possibly mule deer somewhere closer. After than I'm going to probably apply for some metro hunts around here and possibly Duluth, and try to get my first archery deer since college. If everything falls through this fall, my buddy and I have been tossing around the idea of a cast & blast bear hunt in the BWCA. Usually there are some leftover tags up there. Most likely that will be a few years down the road, but you just never know......

2013 is looking to be a really fun year! I can't wait!

Of coarse turkeys this spring. Going back to Montana for antelope in August, a really fun trip that I've done a couple times. Back to the Black Hills in October and chasing metro deer near home.

DIY Public Land hunt in Wisconsin. One week off, camping in the bush, Mr. Big or bust. Giving up the out of state small game hunts to accelerate my encounter with my "once in a lifetime" buck. I can only be green with envy so many years in a row, can not see any bucks while hunting the far north of MN for so many years in a row, before you decide to try something new.

DIY Public Land hunt in Wisconsin. One week off, camping in the bush, Mr. Big or bust. Giving up the out of state small game hunts to accelerate my encounter with my "once in a lifetime" buck. I can only be green with envy so many years in a row, can not see any bucks while hunting the far north of MN for so many years in a row, before you decide to try something new.

Shoot me a PM, da_chise, if you get a chance.

Hunt more and scout early.

I was finishing my masters last fall and it really cut into my hunting, I had got a brand new bow and was ready to rock. I didn't realize my new job and finishing a masters degree would eat up so much time.

So this year I will make up for it. I got food plots to start this summer and stands to hang before season, and then game on this fall.

I cannot wait!

Not much for me but I am sure I will archery hunt in North Dakota.

last fall I only made a few weekends and for many years, I spent 15-25 days in ND.

Hopefully I can spend alot more time there. I would like to spend a week or better there right before the rut.

If I get up to the ranch enough this fall, maybe for once we can hook up for a day or weekend hunt Scoot. We will make it oine of these years.

Wife and I are going to hit the spring gobblers hard for the 1st time as a team with the bows, so looking forward to that.

Trying to book a bear or hog hunt.

Keep up with filming our hunts and trying to get better footage.

Otherwise, shooting the bows, 3D's. leagues, shed hunting, scouting, food plots, running camera's, and anything else that I(we) can do around here chasing whitetails.

Minnesota archery spring turkey. Archery bear MN, should draw with my preference pts. Late October archery deer hunt in ND. Back to MN for the best week of bow season (Nov. 1-8). Not archery, but should draw late season muzzy in Iowa.

If I get up to the ranch enough this fall, maybe for once we can hook up for a day or weekend hunt Scoot. We will make it one of these years.

Yes, I'd like that. With me not going West this Fall there's a chance I can be of more help for the Twist of Fate hunt too. I've never been to the dinner or any of that event, so that'd be fun to check out. Maybe that weekend would work to team up, even if it's not for actual "hunting".

I'm hoping to purchase a new bow in 2013, but haven't started looking yet. AS far as hunting plans, gobblers here in MN, then over to Wisconsin. Deer in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and a late season hunt in Missouri. I'm also hoping to get my dad over here to hunt the shotgun season here in hopes of putting him on a good deer.

Is it turkey season yet????/

I plan to hunt mn spring turkey with my bow, opening weekend or more in ND with my bow, My annual trip to ND for ducks in Oct. And my usual heavy dose of chasing whitetails in Kimball, Maple Lake, amd Perham, MN.

My biggest goal is to get the lady her first deer with her bow and hopefully a turkey too!

Aside from the usual MN plans, we got permission on a farm down in LaCrosse WI that we need to scout out. Our plan is to hunt MN up till the gun opener then jump the border and hunt WI till their gun opener.

That and a couple park hunt app's.

Keep telling myself I am gonna go out of state, but every time I check my camera's I ask myself why. Maybe if I get lucky and tag out early I will go somewhere else.

Would really like to try W. ND for spot n stalk but that seems like it's getting darn near impossible to do with all the problems....

Would really like to try W. ND for spot n stalk but that seems like it's getting darn near impossible to do with all the problems....

Sounds like a good plan, Strat. I'm curious- what about "all the problems" make it "darn near impossible" to do a spot n stalk hunt in Western ND? Aside from them dropping the number of NR tags from 700 to 180, the oil-related problems might cause some hiccups, but nothing that I'd ever suggest anyone let keep them away. The oil has caused lots of complications, but there's nothing keeping you from going out there and chasing muleys. The only thing now is drawing a tag...

Mostly the tag issue was what I was referring to along with low population and the oil extravaganza... don't get me wrong by any means, we might still try to draw tags, but I guess enthusiasm has somewhat diminished. Maybe wrongfully so...

Maybe I need to be talked back into it. Less tags might mean less pressure too. Only so many days on the calender too...