• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not till the morning

harvey lee

Here is the wierd part of this whole thing.

When the deer was hit and ran off, I thought I hit it high as the tip of the arrow was up in the air a bit. Thought I hit a branch. The deer was 14 yards away and I was approx 20ft upthe tree so that would explain the sharp angle the arrow was in the deer.

After looking at the buck after I found it, I hit the shoulder almost lower mid shoulder and it came out the brisket area between the front legs.

When I gutted it, there was 1 lung that was hit hard. The heart I did not look at that closely but just looking at it, it did not appear to be badly hit.

After I had shot and the deer ran away, twice I heard the deer cough like it had blood in it's lung.

So, I punched it right through the front shoulder and the arrow went through the lung heart area taking out 1 lung totally and yet this buck made it I am sure over 300 yards. Now thats one darn tough buck.

A deer can go a long way on one lung as you just proved. I know you like to get high in your tree to avoid their nose, but this is what happens when the shot angle is steep.

Not dissing on you one bit Harvey cause it sounds like you made a great shot, just want to make everyone aware of the consequences of a steep shot angle.

Not a huge 8 but good enough for a 20 minute sit. Was going to take a pic in the woods yesterday when I had help with but of course we never found it.

Pic on the garage floor. I have a photo of the same buc and a much better one on my trail camera and I will have to load that one.

2012%20archery%20buck%20005_zpscfea8b4f.

Not a huge 8 but good enough for a 20 minute sit. Was going to take a pic in the woods yesterday when I had help with but of course we never found it.

Pic on the garage floor. I have a photo of the same buc and a much better one on my trail camera and I will have to load that one.

2012%20archery%20buck%20005_zpscfea8b4f.

Arrgh! A photobucket link! I hate filters!! Even though I cant see it, Congrats!!

Congrats, very nice deer.

I'm going to hit her again tonight. Had several pics of a dandy near this stand last year & haven't been there at all, partly do to time constraints with bow hunting. I have to trim it when I get there tonight...

Nice job Harvey ! Now the encore in NoDak ? Another example not trying to steal the thread or take it a new angle but my old lab would've found it being leashed in about 15 seconds or less. With often warm temps in the 1st 50 days of bow season, a dog could save it so it's not unwantingly wasted. I'm very happy you found it Harvey and with your determination there is never a doubt you would ! Nice Job !

I agree Musky. I checked the weather forecast yesterday for wind and temp before I went out just incase what happen did happen. I knew I could leave it lay overnight if I got it right away in the am. My only big concern was the yotes as this woods is noted for a coyote population.

A friend of mind said my boss's dogs would find it in no time.

My nose is not as good as a dog's but my will to find a wounded deer is.

There are times when no matter how hard one tracks it, it does not have a happy ending. Happy today had a good ending.

Right after I left the woods on my way home on the wheeler it started to rain, thank goodness it did not whn I was looking for the specks of blood.

I think this one was meant to be.

Not decided yet on a NoDak run yet for a archery buck but I would sure have enough of the season left. Still have a gun and a ML tag so I should be good for venison if all works out.