• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Trail Cam Thread

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What experience do any of you have with videos? I have a Moultrie D55IR and have gotten a few good videos but I find that the camera will not trigger unless you or an animal comes within 3 feet of it. Moultrie says this could be due to low battery strength but I was registering in the 80%. It could be this is too low for videos.

I see they have a 12 volt solar panel power pack available but some say you really need direct sunlight for it to be effective. Is there any reason why a person could not just hook up a 12 volt motorcycle battery to the unit through the power port? Sounds a heck of a lot better than trying to run on a few flashlight batterys.

Checked mine today.

On Xmas day I got 3 pics of deer trotting/running during the middle of the day.

A lone doe, a group of 3, and a 2.5 yo old buck.

Interestingly, between Oct 26-Nov 2, I had certain rut activity.

Then on Nov 25 I believe, I got pics of deer moving during the day time.

And then on Dec 25, as noted above.... Probably activity related to a 3rd rut is my uneducated guess. smile

Its interesting been seeing a few bucks on the camera,the same ones I seen before deer season. Had one real big one before season on the camera,I have not seen him yet after season. I was hoping to pick him up,than pull the camera, knowing that he will be around next year. Antlers should start falling more regular now. Also do a walk around when checking camera for antler sheds. Never been very good at finding deer antlers.

What experience do any of you have with videos? I have a Moultrie D55IR and have gotten a few good videos but I find that the camera will not trigger unless you or an animal comes within 3 feet of it. Moultrie says this could be due to low battery strength but I was registering in the 80%. It could be this is too low for videos.

I see they have a 12 volt solar panel power pack available but some say you really need direct sunlight for it to be effective. Is there any reason why a person could not just hook up a 12 volt motorcycle battery to the unit through the power port? Sounds a heck of a lot better than trying to run on a few flashlight batterys.

We have a older I-50 moultrie cam and another new D55 IRX up over 2 different corn sites..the older one runs on D batteries, newer one on C batteries. Had the newer one up with new batteries in during cold temps and lasted 4 days with 330 pics, vid mode off. Big old moultrie had new batteries put in as well and is 65% battery life left after 1,100 pics/vids.. Videos were good.. So I don't know what the deal is with the D-55? And all pics on the D-55 were daytime as well.

In my research so far it sounds like a person can hook up any 12 volt battery to the external power port. I see you can buy a third party battery pack with a battery that is similar to the ones they use in the Vexilar flashers. I am going to try and find a plug that fits the unit from Radio Shack and give it a try to see if it makes any difference on the trigger distance, which has been my problem. Otherwise I am going to send it in to Moultrie.