• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Trail Cam Thread

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photo,on your Moultrie camera is the temperature given close? I have a Moultrie and the temp is off like 10 degrees,just curious,no big deal.
Both my camera's have been good on temperture and battery life ever since I got them in 2010. Finally installed new batteries in them this past december for the first time since I got them. I noticed once battery life got below 20%, they no longer took pictures at night, day time photos were still good.

Same with my dad Captain, lived in the same house for 40 years and first time ever in winter has deer coming to his bird feeder almost nightly, 10-12 or so ? So we wonder are there timberwolves where they'd like to winter ? Are they simply desperate some as by the end of October most everything was plowed black ? Is it simply to much effort trying to dig through crusted snow to get at maybe some corn or grasses ? We were really poised for some winter kill if it got ugly, not that we're out of the woods yet or anything but it could've been a really tough go for them. They aren't finding much other than browse, they really are wandering around traveling long distances in our area. That is not normal from our 40 years in the same place.

Effie, I called Moultrie to ask about my temperature issue and they had me do a reset, which I dont know if it will work since we havent had cold temps lately.

Different question, but I am having mixed results with pictures. I get pics, but it seems they are spaced out hours apart and I know the deer are there for a considerable amount of time and there will be only 1 photo taken. I have it set to 1 minute between photos.

The other thing the gal at Moultrie said is that the "High speed" SD Cards cause some problems with them and suggested just a "normal speed" one. I noticed mine clearly says "high speed" on it.

Have you had any issues and what type of SD card are you using? High speed or not?

Thanks!

I put a normal speed SD card (sandisc brand) and have MUCH better results. 98 pictures last night and 30 videos.

Caught this guy. First time I have seen him. Could be a nice one next year or year after.

full-5994-29978-buck.jpg

My camera takes pictures below zero just fine, just the temp reading is off once its below -6.

Frosty went on a quick jaunt in the swamp, 0 antlers, wasn't really looking very hard though, but did walk up on 3 bedded bucks, 1 was a monster buck, the other 2 not so much, but the huge bodied buck had 0 horns, they very calmly just stood up and looked at me for a minute or 2 and very slowly walked away, all 3 were shed. I was maybe 25 yards from them in the open.

Thanks Stick, I smile every time I look at that pic smile

Musky Buck, Cool to hear on the big guy. I have a couple on my cam that are shed. One yearling still holding both, though that pic was from mid/late feb.

Two frustrating things about that swamp. Finding sheds is a bugger. Seems like you need to time it just right when most of the snow is gone but it hasn't thawed yet to have much of a chance of finding them.

The other is winter bucks. Since it's a traditional yarding area, lost of them seem to fade away some spring and summer. I guess there are easier places for a deer to live than a swamp in the summer at least.

10 4 Frosty, the good news hopefully is those bucks know there way around the swamp and can return to us during rifle/muzzy season. You're right on timing for finding sheds, it has to be just about right and even then they may have dropped them near their food sources etc. as they can just walk trails anywhere in there, was definitely a road kill just off the approach, and no ? on those 3 tame bucks, not tame but nearly, have never had them so not caring that I was just watching them like that, they really slowly walked away even when I started walking again they just watched me, saw 0 coyote tracks or any other sort of track except deer, was glad no wolves are running it yet, I repeat yet. Good luck everyone finding sheds, we're buried again so once it melts back a ways we'll have good shed hunting again.

Here's a few pics that are kind of cool. We go these pictures in February on our land. They're a little grainy, instead of getting these sent to my email, the pics were taken with a phone off a computer screen. The one yearling has some neat color and the sow looks to be good size.

full-40896-32716-img950820.jpg

full-40896-32717-img_0821.jpg

full-40896-32718-img_0824.jpg

full-40896-32719-img950822.jpg

full-40896-32720-img950823.jpg