• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funny stories

Gordie

What are some of the funniest things you have seen on or off the water relating to open water fishing?

One of the funniest things that I have seen was a 1977 ish Corvette pulling a 20 ft Bayliner to the access. Not only was the boat longer than the vette I'm sure it out weighed it by several hundred pounds.

I sure seeing a Corvette with a reciver hitch is a site to see as well grin

I know there are alot of funny stories out there. So if ya whnna share go for it.

Perhaps the funniest thing I have seen was a couple years ago we took a new fisherman to Leech Lake. It turned out to be a really warm calm day and fishing was tough. Early afternoon the guy is getting sleepy and starts to nod off, next thing we know he screams, jumps up and almost jumped off the other side of the boat. A big old loon had surfaced like 5 feet in front of him. Man that was funny. Luckily he didn't throw the rod over the side. There were a few other boats around and we were all laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes. He was wid awake the rest of the day grin

Years ago, me and a buddy were fishing from a smaller 12 foot boat. My buddies uncle (Virgil) pulled up next to me, and was talking to us. I had something smoke my creek chub, so I grabbed my pole, and set the hook nice and hard. No fish on, but the 12 foot boat didnt support me from the hook swing and miss, and I flew out the boat behind me. Now neither my buddy, or his uncle new I had a bite, and all they seen was me flipping over backwards out of the boat.

Now, I didnt find it very funny at the time, but they sure did smile

I was tying up to a tree on the minnesota river last summer, so i'm up in the bow wrapping a rope around an exposed tree branch, this was a very large snag...anyway, as the river tends to be a jerk at times, it pushed my boat upstream into the tree branch. I wasn't quite ready and the tree pushed me back, i stepped onto the big styrofoam cooler full of bait, went through the cooler and over the side of the boat. grin Fell right into the underwater snag and as quick as i could grabbed the boat and pulled myself back in before the rope unwrapped from the tree branch.

Wiped the water off my face and looked around (Thank god nobody was watching!!) Picked up all my bait off the boat floor...so much for live bait. Couldn't believe that just happened!!

DNR came up river about 1/2 hour later and questioned why i was still soaking wet! grin LOL, dumb dumb.

I'm extra careful when tying up to limbs now wink Ya look like an a$$ when one knocks ya off your boat!

Years ago, me and a buddy were fishing from a smaller 12 foot boat. My buddies uncle (Virgil) pulled up next to me, and was talking to us. I had something smoke my creek chub, so I grabbed my pole, and set the hook nice and hard. No fish on, but the 12 foot boat didnt support me from the hook swing and miss, and I flew out the boat behind me. Now neither my buddy, or his uncle new I had a bite, and all they seen was me flipping over backwards out of the boat.

Now, I didnt find it very funny at the time, but they sure did smile

Scott I think I remember hearing about this was this during one of Virgils contests because if it was then I was probably with in ear shot of you and those guys laughing grin

years ago i was hearing mother nature call so i pulled up to this island. it had a nice beach. walked in the woods aways and noticed a little lake within the island. so i walked to it and saw a old half submerged wooden boat with a nice open crack in the remaining seat. perfect. nobody around, plus i found new water to try in the future. well that's what i thought. there i sat and doing my deed, when here comes this couple with a couple of young lads.

i kind of position my pants some, and they ask me where the Boy Scout Camp is. i sure didn't know there was anything on this island and i quickly pointed to my left and said you'll find it down the shoreline on the other end. they said thankyou as if it was normal to find a guy sitting in a submerged boat. i waited till they walked some distance and finshed up and quickly went back in my boat. sure enough there was a boy scout camp on that island that i noticed as i trolled by. good luck.

years ago i was hearing mother nature call so i pulled up to this island. it had a nice beach. walked in the woods aways and noticed a little lake within the island. so i walked to it and saw a old half submerged wooden boat with a nice open crack in the remaining seat. perfect. nobody around, plus i found new water to try in the future. well that's what i thought. there i sat and doing my deed, when here comes this couple with a couple of young lads.

i kind of position my pants some, and they ask me where the Boy Scout Camp is. i sure didn't know there was anything on this island and i quickly pointed to my left and said you'll find it down the shoreline on the other end. they said thankyou as if it was normal to find a guy sitting in a submerged boat. i waited till they walked some distance and finshed up and quickly went back in my boat. sure enough there was a boy scout camp on that island that i noticed as i trolled by. good luck.

Hahaha... "as if it were normal for to find a guy sitting in a submerged boat"

good story.

My brother and I, not old enough to use the motor, would row a mile or so from our cabin dock to fish. It usually took 20 minutes or so to get there. One day on the way back, it was my turn to row, it was taking forever.

After two hours or so of rowing we made it back to the dock. We could not get the boat up the ramp, tried a couple of times. Then found the anchor was out the whole time. Duh. Slap Head.

That reminds me of the second time I took my first ever boat out...my buddy and I sat and fished for a bit and then went to go in and we were chugging along and it felt slow but it was only a 15 hp motor and we had 2 guys in it...we had to go thru a channel that is 100 yds long and 3 ft max depth when we went to load the boat I asked my buddy hey what is this rope in the water grabbed it and pulled up the anchor!!! hey buddy did you forget something?????

That reminds me of the second time I took my first ever boat out...my buddy and I sat and fished for a bit and then went to go in and we were chugging along and it felt slow but it was only a 15 hp motor and we had 2 guys in it...we had to go thru a channel that is 100 yds long and 3 ft max depth when we went to load the boat I asked my buddy hey what is this rope in the water grabbed it and pulled up the anchor!!! hey buddy did you forget something?????

I had a buddy that forgot to pull up his anchor and was dragging it around on a busy Saturday in the summer. That caught the attention of the Hennepin County Water Patrol. It was a new boat and he had some lady friends that he was trying to impress. Buddy ended up getting charged with a BWI. Not necessarily a funny story, but I think there is a lesson to be learned.

I had a buddy that forgot to pull up his anchor and was dragging it around on a busy Saturday in the summer. That caught the attention of the Hennepin County Water Patrol. It was a new boat and he had some lady friends that he was trying to impress. Buddy ended up getting charged with a BWI. Not necessarily a funny story, but I think there is a lesson to be learned.

May not have been funny to him but I bet the ladies had a laugh.

On another trip, we pulled up on a sand bar, and we were going to sleep there for the night. We got a fire going, and my buddy told me to go back in the boat and throw the minnow buckets out, because they were still sitting inside the boat. I went in the boat and tossed them out. Later on in the night, we needed more bait, I ran back to the boat to grab one of the minnow bucket, well I find out the minnow buckets werent tied on when I threw them out. So we were out of bait. He never told me to tie them on! Just throw them out wink

Couple years ago during the Sturgeon Excursion. We're anchored in the gap having a good time, messin with all the other fellas in other boats, and pretty much just whooping it up.

Along comes another boat, cruising slowly by the crowd.......in the back of the boat there's a shirtless dude standing up, staring at everyone, playing with his nipples.

That was weird.

A buddy and I were in a rush to go fishing.

We loaded everything in the back of his truck and took off. As we approached the second stop sign, he commented and how nicely the boat was pulling... until he looked back and realized we forgot the boat...

doh!!

Last weekend on red lake we were in between storms when my buddy says "do you hear buzzing?" me being hard of hearing didn't know what he was talking about. My buddy in the other boat yells to us "what does it mean when you're getting shocked by your fishing rod?" I didn't hear what he said but the guy in our boat throws down his rod, runs to the front, pulls up the anchor starts the boat and takes off like a bat outta hell. I'm standing there tryin to figure out what's goin on.

Long story even longer, they explained what happened and we all had a good chuckle over my bad ears and my friend's "shocking" fishing pole.

I was fishing a small lake north of Grand Rapids with a couple of friends and we were catching panfish about 50 yards in front of this dock that had a 300 foot stairway to this cabin.

Well it was Sunday afternoon and the people in the cabin werre packing up to go home from the weekend when the Dad and son start to have a tiff over who was bringing up what from the dock. Well they went on and on for about 30 min when finally the son about 18 yrs old says fine I'll get the dam motor but your getting evrything else.

All the way down the stairs the dad was preaching to his son about how he always had to get the motor off the boat and how He always had to carry it up the fricken stairs Blah,blah,blah

Well the son takes the motor off the boat and sets it in the boat and hands all the fishing stuff to his dad and he makes his way up the steps.

Then the son picks up the motor and puts one foot on the dock and was swinging the motor fronm the boat to the dock and well you know what happens to a boat thats tied to a dock anyway he does the spread eagle and the motor ends up on the bottom of the lake.

It was about 10ft deep at the end of this dock.

The Son looks up as the dad who has dropped all the fishing gear and is making his way down the steps and is really getting red in the face and as he reaches his son who is on the dock looking down and the son says "well now we no why YOU always get the fricken motor.

At this point myself and my two friends are on the floor of the boat laughing and the two of them looked at us and couldnt help but laugh with us...

Then the battle was on for who was going to dive down and get it. witch in itself was funny cause it took three times of tring to bring it up and dropping it before they decided to tie a rope to it.

Too Funny!!!!. glad they had good humor about it and probably laugh about it from time to time. i'll tell you one thing, if that would have been my dad when i was that kids age, i wouldn't dare to even argure about anything. he just would give me a look and i was off to get everything and like it grin. good luck.

i have had alcohol related minor incidents like throwing an anchor out without tying it and grabbing a new worm gang and put the crawler on and throwing it over the side without tying it on the line. not just once but twice in a row. good luck.

Unfortunately i was not in the boat, but i sure wish i was.

My buddy was fishing with some college buddies up on LOW. I guess the beers were flowing really well, and after meeting this guy, i can see exactly how this incident happened!

So they're floating and jigging i guess, stringer full of fish. Out of the blue, this guy goes "HOlY MOLY" Reaches for the net, and puts the net in the water as if he's seen a monster...and comes up with a stringer of fish. grin Guy was so intoxicated, that when he saw a fish along side the boat he tried to quickly net it...but it turned out he netted the stringer of fish. Would've been hilarious to see i'm sure!

This would be my buddies same friend who gave the best man's speech at his wedding...Well, it was one of the worst ones i've heard and i had to follow it up...He managed to take 15 minutes to tell a story about how the groom looked across the street and was checking out a shemale while they were in college...FLipp'n terrible story for a wedding! grin

Up at Kabetogama one year we made the Carpenter and the Plumber fish together in an old Sea Nymph. Before they come up the Plumber fixed his chair in the boat by shooting some new screws down into the rotten plywood. The Carpenter isnt much of a fisherman or boat captin, but it's his boat, I told them if they could keep up they can follow me to the spot, but they didnt leave the first bay the whole weekend. Just argued with each other the whole time. Didnt even have a map of the lake let a lone a depth finder or anything. They went 3 days, didnt get a bite untill the plumber felt a tick on his line and starts letting out line saying I got one going, here we go,... goes to set the hook and leans back and the chair let loose and falls over and breaks one of his 3 rods.

Now I felt kinda bad because we've been hammering fish the whole weekend accross the lake so I talk the Plumber into staying an extra day and we'll head up there and he can catch some fish. Well another buddy, "The Pipefitter" got well into a bottle of Windsor that night and was standing up on the Gunnel, taking a leak and holding onto the light in the back of the boat when he leans forward and starts falling into the lake but he held onto the light so he swings back around and falls into the boat, landing right on the Plumbers other rod, snapping it in half. The Plumber hasnt been back since.

Not sure I can top some of these but I'll add mine.

I was with a buddy up at his parents cabin and we went out fishing with his dad for an afternoon. His dad is a rather impatient fisherman and if a lure doesn't work on the first couple casts he'll switch to something new.

He puts on some sort of spinner bait and on the first cast has a really nice bass hit. He sets the hook and plays the fish for a minute but it comes off. A little bummed he casts back out and has another bite, again he plays the fish but it also comes off. Again starts casting and a few minutes later gets another bite and again after a short fight the fish comes off. Now he's getting pretty mad and reels the lure in and FINALLY looks a little closer at the lure. He had forgoten to take off the little plastic cover they put on the hooks of new spinner baits. He was fishing the whole time with the safety on so to speak.

Funny thing is that once he took the plastic off the hook he didn't have another bite the entire afternoon.

My fishing buddy and I were floating down the Mississippi one hot afternoon in an old metal flat bottom boat. It was painfully hot and we were already worse for wear. We were casting number 5 rattlin raps to the shoreline and we ended up going around a bend and the current pulled us into shore along the tree lines. My buddy is in the back and he casts over me down stream and his rap went straight up into the trees at an angle going downstream. He starts to tug at it hard to get it out of the trees above us and as he is now yanking for about the 5th time when we float down further and the lure is right above me in the trees. I yell "No......stop!" for fear it would finally come lose and shoot right into my skin somewhere. But he gives one final yank anyway and it comes screaming out of the trees. I duck and can feel the wind from the lure on my head as it just misses me and it comes flying like a missile into the back of the boat where he is and I look down and the back trebles - all 3 of them are buried in his achilles heel - right in the fleshy part. We only have an old pair of pliers along and nothing else in the boat. He somehow manages to get 2 of the hooks of the treble out - but the 3rd one is buried deep - right down to the bend in the trebles. We knew our fishing day was over if we couldnt get that last hook out. So, he then looks at me and says " want to see something that is really going to hurt?". And then he proceeds to just start pulling on the hook as hard as he can and his skin is coming out like 4 inches away from his ankle. In the meantime, I hate to admit it - but I am literally laughing so hard I peed my pants. I knew that could have been me if I hadn't ducked right in the nick of time. Hard for a grown man to admit that - but it was that funny. The hook finally tore out and we continued to float down the river and fished the rest of the day smile