• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F150 Ecoboost Supercrew vs. Tundra 5.7 V8 Crewmax

I would love to post pics and links to tundra owners who have experianced broken tail gates, weak frames, etc. Sure most of the problems have been resolved over the years but they are far from perfect.

Would also love to post a link to the article from TOYOTA JAPAN after the brake fiasco claiming US plants were to blame for the problem...

Of course posting links will get you booted off for a few days........

Being made in the US does not mean US owned and operated. Many forget were the profits end up. Both Ford and toyota may have a fair amount of it's parts made overseas but chances are more money goes back overseas with a toyota sale than a Ford sale.

May be a big Ford truck guy but first to point out not all their vehicles or motors are perfect. The first flawed motor that comes to mind in recent years is the Powerstroke 6.0. Then there's the splitting/breaking spark plug issues with the Tritons.

A good friend of mine is a service writer for Lexus. He'll tell you stories about problems you'll rarely hear about. Some are minor, some are not.

Like others have said, test drive them all and buy what you like most.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So which is better?

Marcum? Vexilar? HumminBird? grin

Nevermind that.............HOW 'BOUT THOSE VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

As far as the Eco-boost reaching peak torque at 1700 rpm, ever since getting what some would consider a woman's vehicle in a VW Tiguan, I have become a big fan of these smaller displacement turbo charged engines (compared to V8 engines). Can't help but crack a big smile when leaving stop lights.

I have grown to despise the Ford product but with the reviews I've been hearing of this E-B engine, I might have to give them another look for my next vehicle.

While The Blue Oval is still playing coy on fuel economy, we've finally got official word on the power tip. The twin-turbo 3.5-liter will churn out 365 ponies, a figure that's great, but not terribly unexpected in a full-size pickup. The bigger story is the mill's promised 420 pound-feet of torque at 2,500 rpm. That lofty figure is more than General Motors or Chrysler can deliver with their light duty pickups, but not quite enough to out-twist the 434 lb-ft. from Ford's new 6.2-liter V8. But while the 6.2 has stronger numbers all around, the EcoBoost 3.5 can hold its twist longer, with 90 percent of peak power is available from 1,700 rpm all the way to 5,000 rpm.

I just read that the F-150 was voted Motor Trend magazine 2012 'Truck of the Year' mainly for its fuel efficiency and towing power when equiped with the EcoBoost engines and without any major body redesign. Must be worth something!

You really ought to know that the Motor Trend "vehicle type of the year" is a marketing tool that is bought and paid for. They say it isn't so, but the purchase of advertising has a huge influence in all the car magazines. Just read a test in a magazine like motor trend or hot rod and see if there is a single negative word.

Here is a challenge, go to the library and find the motor trend road test of the Chevy Vega and the Ford Pinto.

The motor trend test from 1970 has actually been scanned and posted on flickr by a user triggerscarstuff. Check it out. They have no credibility with me.

The cool guy or the smart guy huh? No editorializing in that one.

I've got nothing against the Toyota other than that big V8 is going to get big v8 mileage.

As far as the ecoboost, I personally am excited about the ecoboost for that motor. I think its a very good reason to be excited. A truck that will get 20-25% better fuel economy is a big deal, especially if its reliable.

Ford does have something to prove with this motor. That does have to be considered, but its hardly a deal breaker.

x2 on the motor trend being worthless. Have you ever read those articles. They award points for comfort and ergonomics on the cab. While those things can be important in the decision, they are completely subjective.

As someone who has been a truck and off-road vehicle enthusiast since I could consider buying a car, I've never read a worthwhile "truck of the year" article no matter which magazine it comes from.

The cool guy or the smart guy huh? No editorializing in that one.

As far as the ecoboost, I personally am excited about the ecoboost for that motor. I think its a very good reason to be excited. A truck that will get 20-25% better fuel economy is a big deal, especially if its reliable.

Gas mileage should be a factor in buying any vehicle. I think 20-25% better might be a strech though. But I think reliabilty on the whole truck is more important. I sure hope the ecoboost turns out because then others will follow. I would only suggest buying a longer warranty with the ecoboost.

My approximation for fuel mileage comes from the people who've driven them and of course a mix of OEM claims.

A standard half ton V-8 pickup gets 16-17 on the highway. 14-15 in the city.

Ecoboost has shown to be 20mpg or better on the highway. That's 20-25%. Driving around town, 16-18, is 10-25% roughly. Driving styles may vary, but obviously if a person mentions MPG as important consideration for purchase they are hopefully driving it with MPG in mind.

Just for comparisons, driving the 2008 Chevy crew with 5.3 I would get 13.5-14 mpg. Doing that same driving with the 2011 Ecoboost F-150 I'm getting 18.2. Took a 1600 mile trip with the F-150 and half the trip the box was full of big heavy stuff, averaged 19.98 mpg. Pulling my boat with the Chevy 11-12mpg, the F-150 15-15.5. I owned a F-150 with a 5.4 before buying the Chevy. When towing something I always called the Chevy a guttless piece of @&*. Way less power than the 5.4 Triton f-150. This Ecoboost has way more power than the 5.4. I think we are going to see more these engines in all kinds of vechiles in all brands in the future. They just work. Look at some of the foreign cars, they have had turbos for years. Diesels in pickups not to mention farm tractors and semi's all have them. There is a reason... more power and less fuel consumption.

I had two trucks with the 5.4L before my Ecoboost, all 3 configured exactly the same. Average mileage with my 5.4Ls was a hair over 14mpg, and I'm a hair over 18mpg with the Ecoboost. A savings of 475 gallons of gas for me every year @ 30,000 miles.

That's a difference of roughly $1400. How much more are the ecoboosts selling for compared to the v8 gassers? I am willing to bet with what the stealerships are asking for new the ecoboosts you paid a bit more?

So your really not saving anything. Yes you use less gas but you paid extra for the truck.

Lets just say if gas was $3 a gallon (yes it can/will change) but lets use $3 gallon for this example. If you drove 30k miles a year:

Ecoboost @ 30k miles a year / 18mpg = 1666.667 gallons of fuel x $3 a gallon = $5000

Ford 5.4L @ 30k miles a year / 14mpg = 2142.857 gallons of fuel x $3 a gallon = $6428.571

So you save $1400 a year in gas, how many years are you going to have to drive it to recoup the extra paid up front before you come close to breaking even?

Unless gas prices go up, or you keep that truck for a long time, in the end your really not saving any money at all. If your goal was to save money you failed. If your goal was to drive the latest and greatest and have an awesome tow vehicle you succeeded but your also paying more for it.

But trade in value will also be higher with the EcoBoost, especially if they continue to have such rave reviews! So even if he doesnt keep it that long, and trades it in after 3 years, after already saving $4200 in gas, he will be getting extra back for the trade in because of the EcoBoost.

BTW the EcoBoost is a $750 upgrade when I purchased mine, so 6month payback. Already there.

Well if that's case, it seems too good to be true? I was under the impression that the ecoboosts were selling really well and almost to the point where they were getting hard to come buy. That tells me as a buyer that I should expect to pretty much pay the full sticker price, and in some cases more just to even get one?

I am not knocking the truck or those of you who already bought one. I just don't know how someone goes out and buys a brand new truck and thinks they saved money.

FWIW - friends (farmers wink ) just showed me their brand new Harley version F150. Not ecoboost, as they got the big dawg, set you back in your seat farther engine... but what really caught my eye is the whole new interior and options they have now! Holy Cow is that thing loaded with chit I would not have imagined! haha! Pretty darned nice, I liked it a lot. And I still am fine with my old Chebbie, but holy cow was that Ford (and I am usually not Ford fan since my 87 Ranger) nice and I liked it. Haven't look at Toyota much, so can't compare, but wow! is all I can say about the Ford interior smile (granted the Harley is overkill, but most of the "options" are standard fare to Fords at similar trim level)

I'm not saying it will save you money to go buy a new EcoBoost f150. I bought my last truck new in 2000 and drove it for 178,000 miles. I just happened to be in the market when the Eco came out. It was backed off the hauler when I was there and it matched nearly everything I was looking for. I didn't even know anything about the Eco engine. After reading up on it and hearing the sales pitch, I purchased. Not looking back as of right now, and yeah, compared to my 5.4 Triton, I'm saving on gas, but after 7 years of not having a truck payment, Ouch. cry