• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F150 Ecoboost Supercrew vs. Tundra 5.7 V8 Crewmax

Some positive news on the Ecoboost. Roughly 35% of all Ford trucks in 2011 where sold with this engine, and for 2012 Ford has added two more Ecoboost engines (4 cylinders, still direct injected turbo) that are now offered in their car line. Ford says that the 35% figure has been kept low because they where not able to make them fast enough. Ford is now putting Ecoboost engines in 45% of all the trucks coming off the assembly line.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some positive news on the Ecoboost. Roughly 35% of all Ford trucks in 2011 where sold with this engine, and for 2012 Ford has added two more Ecoboost engines (4 cylinders, still direct injected turbo) that are now offered in their car line. Ford says that the 35% figure has been kept low because they where not able to make them fast enough. Ford is now putting Ecoboost engines in 45% of all the trucks coming off the assembly line.

It was supposed to be rolled out to the Expedition/Navigator this year as well, but due to the high demand in the F150, its been postponed. Which is a bummer, since that is what I was looking for.

Great engine, and its hard to argue with 20+HWY in a 6k pound truck.

FYI ~ GM is coming out with their version next year for all you Chevy guys.

I see with the ecoboost that you can only burn E-10 fuel. E-20 to E-85 is not acceptable. So what happens when the E-10 is gone and E-20 is the lowest available? Also what is up with Ford's big push with their flex fuel vehicles in the past now they're locking people into burning E-10 only?

I think what he is asking, is what should owners of these burn if Minnesota goes to a minimum of of 20% ethanol in 2013 when they were designed for 10%?

Whatever the minimum state % is, will work good in them. Not to worry, it wont hurt anything. When the state bumps it to 20%, most vehicles built since the mid 90's wont even show any effect what so ever, other then possible slight decrease (less then .5mpg) in economy.

Fish Head, just curious, have you made a decision yet?

I've decided to buy the F150 with an ecoboost. I was looking for a 2011, but I waited too long and there aren't any more that are equipped the way I want. I'm now in the process of purchasing a 2012 F150 SuperCrew XLT, Plus Package, Chrome Package, Convenience Package, Tow Package with rear view camera. It's a heck of a truck and I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone have a good suggestion on where to go for a topper in the Metro?

I've decided to buy the F150 with an ecoboost. I was looking for a 2011, but I waited too long and there aren't any more that are equipped the way I want. I'm now in the process of purchasing a 2012 F150 SuperCrew XLT, Plus Package, Chrome Package, Convenience Package, Tow Package with rear view camera. It's a heck of a truck and I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats, let us know how you like it!!

I was talking to a contractor yesterday about his 2011 ecoboost, and he said that his other work truck is a F250 with the V10. Both trucks have comperable power and when pulling a 6000lb trailer, the ecoboost gets the same MPGs as the V10 does empty.

You made the right choice.

johnbigdog, Don;t hold your breath on that reborn lightning,heard it's just a rumor. If you want a truck that will knock you back in your seat do what a friend of mine did. He supercharged his 6.2 Raptor! That thing is a monster and is extremely fast.

"johnbigdog, Don't hold your breath on that reborn lightning, heard it's just a rumor. If you want a truck that will knock you back in your seat do what a friend of mine did. He supercharged his 6.2 Raptor! That thing is a monster and is extremely fast. "

I was just bringing up something that I would like to see, I never heard this from anyone from Ford higher ups.

I have seen a new supercharged Raptor, I think its a waste to me but hey its up to the customer what they want to do with there money, it did sound cool. I have driven a N/A Raptor and was amazed of thee ride quality. I could never afford one though. I do want to see what a Focus ST will cost (I work @ Lundgren Ford Motor Co)

I picked up the new 2012 F150 Ecoboost Wednesday evening. It hasn't been 2 full days yet, but so far I love it!!

A good friend of mine has a Raptor. His 6.2 litre V8 Raptor has 438 ft pounds of tork and my Ecoboost has 420. Not bad for a V6 with decent gas milage!

I ordered my new Leer 100XQ topper and Bedrug bedliner yesterday. I had a bedrug liner in my last truck. They're great. The 100XQ was the top of the line from Leer. I figured I spent so much already, I might as well dress it right.

I was looking at trucks for about 2 months, I am a born and raised chevy guy, but last saturday I finally traded my '05 Silverado Z71 in on a left over '11 XLT black ecoboost supercrew. So far 500 miles and I absolutley love the power/torque can't wait to hook it to the car trailer.

Almost forgot

For all of you guys with the ECOBOOST Have you install anything in the lower grill area? where the inter cooler is(i think its that)???? Are you guys worried about living here in MN and busting through some drifts on the road or lake and getting it pack with snow or the usually bird/animal on the road??

thanks guys

I haven't looked at the specific location of that intercooler, but consider the amount of smaller turbo'd cars out there as well as all the big trucks with intercoolers, power steering coolers etc.

It will be completely safe. You can almost guarantee that they have made darn sure that the aerodynamics will keep it clean. It you hit anything.... well its gonna hurt any cars it hits.

FX4 package with leather seats. Also would you post pictures of your topper? I really like a topper but the wife doesn't like the looks of a truck with a topper.

I don't have a picture of the topper. I just ordered the topper and it will be about 3 weeks before I get it. If you go to the Leer HSOforum, they have pictures of the toppers under "caps".

Having said that, I think the best thing to do is go to somewhere that sells the toppers and see them in person. I don't think you can get a great sense of the differences by looking at the photos.

Make sure you get the rebate on the Bedrug $25 with proof of purchase and need the tag on the box

Yes I did get the rebate. Thanks for reminding me though.

If anyone is looking for a Leer topper, they have rebates from $100-$125. You have to go to their HSOforum for the rebate voucher before you order your topper.