• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F150 Ecoboost Supercrew vs. Tundra 5.7 V8 Crewmax

I'm looking to buy one of these 2 vehicles in the next week or 2. I can't seem to make up my mind. Cost is similar, but I can get the Ford slightly less. They say the cost of ownership is supposed to be lower on the Toyota, but the ecoboost engine definitely gets better gas mileage. I thought I would hear some other people’s thoughts. I'm looking at new 2011 models.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard nothing but good things with the Ecoboost. A co-worker was just talking about his this morning. Sounds like it pulls like a champ and gets good gas mileage while cruising.

Take a look at the Ecoboost challenge vids on YouTube by fordtrucks. Pretty impressive stuff. Of course Ford has probably built some bias into it a bit, but it looks pretty impressive.

Like others have said, you probably can't go wrong with either. Toyota is pretty solid all around.

The ecoboosts sound like great engines. From the sound of it there's been very few problems reported. One thing I would consider is that they get very poor milage while towing. A buddy of mine has one and gets around 6-9mpg towing his 18 aluminum fishing boat. For comparison his old truck (mid-2000 Silverado) got around 12-14mpg. He did say cruising mpg is awesome though, so I guess it depends on how much you're gonna use it to tow.

I have the Ecoboost Crewcab. So far I like it. I have 9700 miles on it and I think it's done breaking in. I will get 20 to 23.2(tail wind) mpg with the cruise control locked in at 72 going to Duluth. Step the speed up the 80 and it drops to 18.1mpg.

Daily driving with mix of city/highway your looking at 16.9mpg. Loaded up the box with aprox 1800lbs and another 1900lbs on my trailer then the millage really takes a hit and only got 14.2mpg up to the cabin, but on the plus side, you didn't even know you were loaded down. Pulls like a dream.

I does have some flaws though. Rough idle and a slight shutter when taking off from a stop. Going to take it in one of these days to have the dealer look at it.

The ecoboosts sound like great engines. From the sound of it there's been very few problems reported. One thing I would consider is that they get very poor milage while towing. A buddy of mine has one and gets around 6-9mpg towing his 18 aluminum fishing boat. For comparison his old truck (mid-2000 Silverado) got around 12-14mpg. He did say cruising mpg is awesome though, so I guess it depends on how much you're gonna use it to tow.

If he's getting 6-9mpg, there is something very wrong with that truck.

I haven't towed a lot, but I got 17mpg towing the boat to and from Canada, and 14mpg pulling 4,000 pounds worth of fish house that's 10' tall going down the road. For comparison, I got 12mpg and 8mpg towing the same with my 2007 5.4L.

I'm at just shy of 21,000 miles on mine ('11, EcoBoost, 4x4, crew cab, lariat, 3.73 gears). My average mileage since I've owned the truck is exactly 18mpg. I would say that is 50/50 city/highway. Best non-towing tank is 23, worst is 16 (current tank-lots of idling).

I know nothing of the Toyota, other than it also has a good strong motor in it. I've been totally satisfied with the EcoBoost.

Edited to add: My cost of ownership has been $0 (knock on wood). 9 free oil changes from the dealership, and free tire rotations, fluid top offs, etc. Stock tires are being replaced as we speak.

I would highly recommend googling "F150 Ecoboost problems". I just spent a good two hrs reading about a few common problems that have cropped up with brand new ecoboosts (under 10,000 miles). Some are stating violent engine hesitation, and others complained of poor shifting. Yet, none are willing to give up their trucks. Hasn't deterred me from shopping for a new ecoboost. Just more informed!

I have a Ecoboost Max tow and I agree with other owners. It is all it is cracked up to be IMHO. I get 10 MPG pulling my 29' 7000 lb travel trailer so I doubt anyone is getting 6-8 mpg pulling a boat. I get 15 pulling my 17.5' Lund. 17 with my wheeler in the the back and about 18 to 22 on highway empty. 18 driving 75 to 80 and 20 if I keep her right at 70. 22 if i Drive 60. Though this engine is more fuel efficient than the last motor. It still is a very heavy truck. Some people think cause it is a EcoBoost they will get the mileage of a car. It aint gonna happen! I personally like the power this engine has more than the fuel efficiency. The motor does not have the power of a v8. It has MORE! It pulls my Travel trailer with ease the torque is amazing. There is way less downshifting compared to other trucks I have driven and owned the power is almost endless. It tows much more like a diesel than a Gas truck.

I think it come down to 2 things. Do you want to be the cool guy that bought a new Ford pickup that has the new ecoboost engine? Some will question buying the first year an engine comes out. If the ecoboost engine wasn't available would you be as excited about it? Or the smart guy who bought the Tundra that has a proven engine and will last longer for less? You'll get slammed for buying a Jap truck even though it's more American than all other trucks. You never said how long you will keep the truck and that could make a difference. Either way getting a new truck is cool.

Ive got just under 15k miles on my crew cab echoboost. Pulling a 18 foot glass boat and box loaded down with stuff--15.2 mpg. My other trucks were at 11-12. Have about 850 miles on the trip meter now and am averaging 18.3. Have owened a new Tundra and traded in a chevy for this truck plus have owned a 5.4 F-150. This is the BEST truck I have ever owned. Rides as good or better than the chevy and way more power plus way better gas milage. Mine has the 3.55 rear end and a 6.5 box.

Or the smart guy who bought the Tundra that has a proven engine and will last longer for less?

You have no way of knowing that one way or the other, especially considering the current Tundra hasn't been around that long yet. Its a good truck, but don't make claims that can't be substantiated.

Both are solid trucks, can't go wrong either way. Since both are capable of towing what you need, drive both and decide which you would prefer on a day to day basis.

Good Luck!!

You have no way of knowing that one way or the other, especially considering the current Tundra hasn't been around that long yet.

4-5 years for the 5.7 liter. Some of them are starting to see mileage over a 100k. The only major issue that I am aware of with the first year of this motor is the camshaft problem. It has been corrected and there has not been a problem since. So if you overlook year one, which I would pass on any year one redesign. It does have a pretty good track record!

Keep in mind, the EcoBoost is only "NEW" to the US public. The engine has actually been around and has been being tested for a few years now in other markets. So new to us, but not first year engine.

However if you look at the "complaints per thousand" vehicles, the Ecoboost engine in its first year in the US market, is very low, and is better then most models that have been around for years. The EcoBoost has been rock solid in its first year on the US market, there is no reason to believe its second year wouldnt be as good, or better.