• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F150 Ecoboost Supercrew vs. Tundra 5.7 V8 Crewmax

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is what you have to remember about the ecoboost. Its a turbo, which means it has less low end torque than a large naturally aspirated v8 because the turbo has to spool up and it cant at the low RPM's. This becomes a problem when you are pulling a boat out of the water. You will have low RPM's so the ford is going to feel much less powerful than the toyota. But, even with that, i would beg of you to buy the ford. Why? Because I believe it is better put together and in these hard times its always better to support Motown than Japan. Happy driving!

Now this is what you have to remember about the ecoboost. Its a turbo, which means it has less low end torque than a large naturally aspirated v8 because the turbo has to spool up and it cant at the low RPM's. This becomes a problem when you are pulling a boat out of the water. You will have low RPM's so the ford is going to feel much less powerful than the toyota. But, even with that, i would beg of you to buy the ford. Why? Because I believe it is better put together and in these hard times its always better to support Motown than Japan. Happy driving!

The EB has MORE torque than a NA V8 @ low RPM's. That's the point of having smaller twin turbo's. That's also what allows the engine to run at lower RPM's and save gas, similar to a diesel.

http:full-14237-18067-austincobra_albums_ecob

Well done CJH, Even though I've had my Eco Boost for a year I'm still amazed with the low end grunt this thing has and the mileage is unbelievable for a truck this size. I have plenty to compare to as I've had 12 trucks since 1981 and can honestly say this is the best one ever.

This is simply wrong. The amount of torque the Ecoboost has in comparison to a V8 is astounding. Don't take my word for it, drive one!

The eb will only give u more tq at a lower rpm if u load up the turbos. Under normal day to day driving, when the turbos rnt spooled, it behaves as a na v6. Those charts peeps r throwing around is miseading. It makes u think the tq is there when it really isnt. A v8's pk tq may come in at a higher rpm but its there righ away when u need it.

Fords commercial/ad r clever, catches alot of gulible peeps.

Bttm line, if u dont mind v6 pwr on a 5500lbs truck for day to day driving but have v8 pwr when u floor it, the eb is the way to go. But if u want v8 pwr for day to day n when u floor it, a v8 is the way to go.

The eb will only give u more tq at a lower rpm if u load up the turbos. Under normal day to day driving, when the turbos rnt spooled, it behaves as a na v6. Those charts peeps r throwing around is miseading. It makes u think the tq is there when it really isnt. A v8's pk tq may come in at a higher rpm but its there righ away when u need it.

Fords commercial/ad r clever, catches alot of gulible peeps.

Bttm line, if u dont mind v6 pwr on a 5500lbs truck for day to day driving but have v8 pwr when u floor it, the eb is the way to go. But if u want v8 pwr for day to day n when u floor it, a v8 is the way to go.

Spoken like somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about.

There is absolutely NOTHING misleading about the chart. I have no reason to mislead anyone. The chart is not even comparing other companies engines, just Ford's. The EB has more torque down low and most of the way up. Its a FACT.

Well I dont mean to be mean but you are wrong. Now, your thought about turbos being bad at low rpms is correct, just not for the EB. I do completely agree with you though to buy American.

Cjh, u can believe all the ads n/or commercial that u want, its ok to be gullible. Unlike u, my eb experience says other wise. Under normal driving, the eb lacks pwr. The eb has no guts until u throttle down harder, thats when it shined. On the 5.0 v8 this was not an issue. There was pwr there n now when u need it. Didnt have to really throttle down for pwr on the 5.0 v8.

Cjh and bfisher,

Can you explain why the EB is different? How does it have more torque without it's turbos spooled up? There must be some other technology at work? I am sure most people would believe it doesn't, because if it's turbos aren't spooled up it is a normal V6 engine; but it seems like you guys must know something that the rest of us don't. Enlighten us on how it works please.

Turbocharging compensates for the fewer cylinders and smaller displacement, and Ford worked with Honeywell-Garrett to develop dual water-cooled turbochargers. Typically, turbochargers operate by directing a stream of exhaust flow to spin a turbine wheel, which powers a compressor that force-feeds an increased volume and velocity of airflow, sucking gasoline along with it to the engine. In the EcoBoost system, smaller turbines provide quicker spooling time, and, combined with the direct-injection system and computer control, the usual lag in power application is eliminated.

Ricqik, If you haven't, you need to test drive the EB. I drove both the Coyote and the EB before buying the EB. The difference in low end torque is night and day and there is definitely more lag in the 5.0 than there is in the EB. Maybe if you chipped the 5.0 and eliminated the lag it might be quicker off the line but the low end torque numbers are still better with the EB.

Tr21hp, i have driven an eb n a 5.0 f150. The eb drives n feels like a v6. I had to give it more throttle to feel the pwr n when it does come on, its awesome. I understand all the rave peeps r talking about the eb but all that is with the turbos spooled. Theres no doubt the eb out muscles the 5.0 v8 when it comes to asking it to work. But day to day driving it drives n feels like a v6. Maybe peeps r to pumped/excited to notice but i can n its not for me. ive driven many turbo'd vehicles, beside the quicker spool time, its no different than other turbo'd engines.

I guess I didn't have the same experience as you Ricqik but maybe I drive a little more aggressive than you. In any event I really enjoy the driving experience of the EB, towing and as a daily driver.

Tr21hp, i have driven an eb n a 5.0 f150. The eb drives n feels like a v6. I had to give it more throttle to feel the pwr n when it does come on, its awesome. I understand all the rave peeps r talking about the eb but all that is with the turbos spooled. Theres no doubt the eb out muscles the 5.0 v8 when it comes to asking it to work. But day to day driving it drives n feels like a v6. Maybe peeps r to pumped/excited to notice but i can n its not for me. ive driven many turbo'd vehicles, beside the quicker spool time, its no different than other turbo'd engines.

I am not sure what you drove, but I have driven many different EB trucks, and can tell you what you are saying doesnt mesh with what is the norm on these trucks, from my experience, and everyone elses. I talk to many people a day on Ford trucks, and trust me, EB and lag, arent anywhere near what we talk about. Of the many EB truck owners out there, everyone that I have talked to the lack of lag is what is talked about, and what is what makes this truck shine above its competition. I recommend you take another test drive, maybe the one you drove was either still in delivery mode, or had some issue.

Cjh, u can believe all the ads n/or commercial that u want, its ok to be gullible.

Thank you for that constructive criticism, but it sounds like you are the one that needs to get a clue. BTW, the graph wasn't from Ford, just sayin'. wink As mentioned, I could care less, I don't have a dog in this fight. Just getting the FACTS straight, which apparently you don't want to do. Great explanation of small turbo's and Direct injection above, might want to read it.

Straight from MotorTrend:

The EcoBoost doesn't come standard on any F-150, but pricing is aggressive: The upgrade from the 5.0-liter can cost a mere $750, depending on trim level. For that money, you add only 5 horsepower (which peaks at a lower rpm). Big deal, right? The true benefit is with torque, where the gain is 40 pound-feet (420 versus the 5.0's 380), and peak torque is at 2500 rpm as opposed to the 5.0's 4250. The EcoBoost engine doesn't sound like a V-8, but it certainly pulls like one. The twin-turbo's power delivery is much smoother than expected, with no noticeable turbo lag, and much quieter.

At 17.2 mpg, our fuel economy was within the EPA estimates at 16 mpg city/22 highway, and best of the test.

When we set up this story, the idea was to see whether it makes more sense for buyers to get the twin-turbo V-6 or the 5.0-liter V-8. From the dyno and track results, the EcoBoost's performance data makes it a better rival for the 6.2. The EcoBoost F-150 was fastest of the test, reaching 60 mph in 6.2 seconds and finishing the quarter in 14.8 seconds at 95.0 mph.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/truc...l#ixzz1nslvgPo0

At close to 30,000 miles on my EB, I don't need to believe anything other than my own experience. The EB has zero lag, and more torque than any V8 I've ever driven. I owned an '05 and '07 with the 5.4L V8, and there isn't a single area where the 5.4L is better than the EB. Not only does it have way better power, it gets 30% better mileage, and runs at lower RPMs for day to day driving and towing. Whereas many V8s have to rev to 4,000+ RPMs to make their power, I rarely exceed 2,500.

Although I don't have a truck at the moment, I do have a vehicle with a 2.0L and a turbo. Peak torque comes at a mere 1500 rpm (not a diesel) and doesn't require a person to lay into the throttle to feel the difference.

I'm not a fan of Ford but when it comes time to get my next vehicle, the EB has my interest.

The idea of laggy turbos come from large trucks running a single large turbo that needs RPMS to get the turbo spooled up. That is why a twin turbo setup uses a smaller turbo feeding a larger turbo to get more power and to reduce turbo lag.

The EB uses two smaller turbos to reduce any amount of lag. It build its power at low RPMs (as shown in the graph) and pulls all the way through like regular turbos do.

This article also says the Eco- Boost takes regular fuel?

Is this true?

EPA fuel economy, city/hwy 12/16 mpg 16/22 mpg As-tested fuel economy* 13.5 mpg 17.2 mpg CO2 emissions 1.43 lb/mile 1.06 lb/mi Recommended fuel Regular unleaded Regular unleaded

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/truc...l#ixzz1ntZ2KPf7

You can use 87-93 octane, but if your looking to get max performance from it, use the higher octane, but unless your using a dyno, I dont think you would notice any difference anyhow.