• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F150 Ecoboost Supercrew vs. Tundra 5.7 V8 Crewmax

Fish Head,

Congratulations on your purchase. Your going to like the looks of that 100XQ on your truck. IMO it may be the sharpest looking topper out there. Wish they would make that model so the sides flipped up vs crack open.

I'm curious if anyone is finding any negotiating room on topper prices?

Last time I shopped new truck & topper was 2001. If I remember correctly the topper place either didn't budge or didn't move much. Ford dealership offered to put topper in at their cost and I was able to save about $200 from what I was getting quoted on the topper. Was nice deal with the savings and the option of paying cash or financing with the truck.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far after driving it 60 miles I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Man i am grinning ear to ear!! more questions

How do you guys like A.R.E. Toppers??

I have seen on other f150 forums guys put grills over the intercooler.

Have you guys on any trucks put say "chicken wire" over the radiator?

How about Mud Flaps? have you guys installed them?

Question for the ford guys,.......

On the instrument screen-- when I start the truck ut says "transport mode contact dealer" my dealer said that will go away around 75 miles. But now I have 105 miles and its still there also the remote starter don't work since that pops up right away is what dealer said that day we drove it home.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Question for the ford guys,.......

On the instrument screen-- when I start the truck ut says "transport mode contact dealer" my dealer said that will go away around 75 miles. But now I have 105 miles and its still there also the remote starter don't work since that pops up right away is what dealer said that day we drove it home.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Unless something is different with 2012's, I thought transport mode had to be turned off - it's not something that's going to go off on its own.

Believe I read this somewhere, but I'm not 100% certain - someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

On the F150, transport mode is exited by turning the key to "ON," pressing the brake pedal five times, then pressing the hazard switch four times.

Transport mode should have been disabled @ the dealer, someone did not do there job sleep.... But this is correct koeo, brake 5x, hazard 4x (on off on off) transport mode disables certain things to save the battery.

Are the ecoboost users running 87 octane or 91> ?

from the owners manuel....

3.5L V6 EcoBoost™ engine

Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of

87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane

rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using

premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty

applications such as towing a trailer.

Maintenance and Specifications

page 397

DO NOT USE E85 unless you want to screw stuff up smile

25,000 miles on mine. I've done 15,000 miles with 87 octane, and about 10,000 with 91 non-oxygenated 'off road only'. Mileage is almost 2mpg better with the 91, and has better power. At a $.50/gallon premium, it is pretty much break-even to run the 91. I use it now for towing only.

Thanks for the response. Typically you run higher octane when you have high compression cylinders or if you have a forced induction vehicle that has been 'tuned' with the high octane. I know the motor is the selling point and it's towing power, however didn't realize they recommended 91 for best performance. Like you mentioned, it's hard to save money on gas when you need to pay more for it. Sounds like it would become a wash. I hated needing to put Premium in my Supercharged car, but that is what was recommended with the higher compression motor. Something for me to keep in mind when I go out shopping.

Landscaper/others interested in covering the ecoboost lower grill opening:

I was concerned about rocks and gravel damaging the inter cooler so I spent some time last summer looking for a lower billet grill cover for my '11 ecoboost 150. I went to a couple of custom shops in the metro area and talked with another at the state fair and got the same answer. As of last September there were no authorized arftermarket lower billet grills available. The opening needs unrestricted air movement for the cooler to work right. They said if it were ok for it to be covered Ford would have done it at the factory. They told me if you find something that will fit or you make one and have an engine problem related to the inter cooler Ford will inspect the area around the opening to look for evidence of "Tampering" and may void the warranty.. if it's still in effect. Cover yours with caution, I've decided not to.

Landscaper/others interested in covering the ecoboost lower grill opening:

They told me if you find something that will fit or you make one and have an engine problem related to the inter cooler Ford will inspect the area around the opening to look for evidence of "Tampering" and may void the warranty.. if it's still in effect. Cover yours with caution, I've decided not to.

FALSE

At our dealership we have 3 different opening covers to spruce up that hole in the bumper. It should not effect warranty, unless it completely blocks the opening, then the cooling capability of the C.A.C. will be lessened and may lead to performance/driveability issues.

I was concerned about that opening at first, but I just don't see any need to worry about it. I don't recall seeing any posts on forums where someone has had their intercooler damaged.

My understanding of the whole turbo/intercooler system is limited. I think that the worst you would do by putting a grille of some sort on there is reduce power, rather than cause any sort of engine damage.

When the turbine unit compresses the air going to the motor, that air gets hot. You get more effective boost and the motor works better if the air is cooler so it gets run through an "intercooler" to reduce the temperature. Sort of like a radiator for the intake air.

If you block the flow necessary to carry off the heat the intercooler can't do its job as well. A question is whether the size of the opening was determined by the necessary flow or by the stylist guys.

I would leave it alone. Any modification, such as a screan, or louver, restricts air all on its own. If it annoys you that much, put something on it, but if for any chance a turbo overheats, or you have some weird engine damage, Ford could blame it on that, and void warranty.

I have ran into one trouble vehicle that has came in, several times with turbo a locking up, and the latest was engine damage. What we later found out is he was running the truck through 2-3 feet of creek water, and the intercooler fins were plugged with dirt from the water, and as the cooler would get plugged more and more, the owner would have to work the truck harder and the turbos would get hotter and hotter to try to produce the same power. After 3 turbos, and an engine, the mechanic finally noticed, and brought to everyones attention all the mud in the intercooler. So theoretically it shouldnt cause engine damage, but I have seen where a restricted cooler will cause it.

Ford paid the bill on all of the repairs, but warned him the last time, that the truck isnt designed to drive in water past the tail pipe, and the next repair would be out of his pocket. I do believe he ended up trading the truck, because he didnt understand why in his 95 F150 he had prior to this one, could drive through the same amount of water, with no issues, and he thought that his new truck should handle his needs better then his old truck.

Sometimes new technology can hurt in some circumstances, although as I mentioned to the customer, if water is over the tailpipe, it has got to be getting in to the rear diff, transfercase, front diff, transmission, and even into the cab at times through the cab vent behind the rear seat. Just because the vehicle can drive through it, doesnt mean stuff wont go bad because you do drive through it.