• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Plug

Bobcat45

I have a older Lund boat the plug has always been on the inside of the transom. With the new regulations of always having to remove it anytime your trailering its a pain in the but to reach down behind the battery to put it in or take it out. Is it safe to put it in on the outside of the transom? Its not one that is threaded its the expandable kind. Thanks Bobcat

i'm a bit too nervous about putting it outside, but if I did it would be the T kind.

I have a spare in the boat and another attached to a tie down in the back with a carabiner. That way I see it when getting the boat ready and remember to put it in.

I run 3 of the rubber ones that flip to lock and have never had an issue.

+1

Try en pull it out some time with it locked. My boat (not the fastest) goes 40 mph and never a worry. or like other, go with t-peice...they cost the same price.

i'm a bit too nervous about putting it outside, but if I did it would be the T kind.

I have a spare in the boat and another attached to a tie down in the back with a carabiner. That way I see it when getting the boat ready and remember to put it in.

I have had my boat since 92 and in 93 I started using the flip up plug on the outside and I have never had a issue. Now I keep it on a short piece of rope by the back of the boat and is the first thing that gets put in when I get to the landing.

+1

I've never had a problem with the flip plug. It's on the outside of my 2008 Navigator, and that's also how it came from the factory. I've never had a "weed" issue either. However, even though it seems obvious - make sure that you flip the plug lever "up" instead of down.

silly law

so far i've seen 3 boats that forgot to put there plug back in

Bwahahaha!!!! Your's truely would make that #4! grin

Just today... Dropped the boat in and had my GF hold on to it while i parked the truck. I trotted back to the boat thinking... "Hey... did I forget somethi...." Light a lightening bolt it hit me. THE PLUG!!! I then turned into an olympic sprinter, dove into my boat, found the spare plug I keep in the bilge area and stopped the torrent of water entering my hull.

Almost made it to the floor drains of the deck! Only took a half hour or so to pump it all out. crazy

Silly law!!!

Guess who is now going to carry about a dozen spare plugs? wink

When you load your boat on the trailer, pull the plug and slip the plug eye over one of the tie down strap hooks before you hook the strap onto the boat. Then when you launch, the plug is right there in front of your eyes when you undo the straps.

Just today... Dropped the boat in and had my GF hold on to it while i parked the truck. I trotted back to the boat thinking... "Hey... did I forget somethi...." Light a lightening bolt it hit me. THE PLUG!!! I then turned into an olympic sprinter, dove into my boat, found the spare plug I keep in the bilge area and stopped the torrent of water entering my hull.

Almost made it to the floor drains of the deck! Only took a half hour or so to pump it all out. crazy

Silly law!!!

Guess who is now going to carry about a dozen spare plugs? wink

I bet you won't forget your plug next time winkgrin

Just have to make it a habit to put the plug in first before anything else and make sure before launching to double check.

I'll admit that I forgot my plug once, however little to no water entered my boat and I trolled for a couple hours. I have a Crestliner with the plastic screw in plug that dangles withe the "T" plastic. I am guessing what happened is that the suction of the hole sucked the plug in enough, that no water came in. That is all I can think of. I am lucky I guess.

When you load your boat on the trailer, pull the plug and slip the plug eye over one of the tie down strap hooks before you hook the strap onto the boat. Then when you launch, the plug is right there in front of your eyes when you undo the straps.

Great idea. It's like putting something important next to your truck keys so you don't forget it when you leave. Put the boat plug on your winch, on your bow rope, on the transom tie downs....ANYWHERE that you'll see it before the launch.

Bartman, I have the same thing on my Crestliner and think you are correct. The suction must pull the plug back because I have forgotten and the same thing happen. Very little water as the plug was sucked in.

Mike

Stupid question but before the law I'm assuming nobody pulled their plugs?? Personaly I have always pulled mine on every boat I have owned in the past 25 years....... and yes I have forgotten to put it in a few times....
I always removed mine too.. I don't know what the big deal is...

Jeeze, what a pain! It's like switching from velcro to laces grin

Always pulled mine, even before the law. I would install it before leaving the yard though - now at the landing. I use the fold over style on the outside of my boat, and never an incident where the plug came out.

I always pull my plug as well. I keep 2 of them in the spashwell. The only time I have had problems like 3 times over the last 15 years was when I get to the cabin and I am in a hurry and get distracted from my normal routine.

I can launch my boat from the property on Lake Vermilion- go tie the boat off at the dock (a short drive around our point) then go pull the truck /trailer back to the parking area. Always a sight to see the boat sitting funny at the dock then have the OH #*&* hit you. A mad sprint and wet elbow and everything is fine. Luckily I have not let her sit at the dock for the night before I realized what I just pulled off.

If I put the plug on the boat key that would be the best place for it.

It is a good law. Many of us do stupid things once in a while- Others quite a bit more often whistle

I am too OCD about the plug. Always pulled my plug too, helps to drain out the water from all the micro leaks in my boat mad Anyways, its off with the tie down strap, lift the motor and remove the transom saver and stick the plug in, and reverse when I pull out.

But I have been distracted a few times too and forgotten, but thats how I've learned the get the boat up to speed and pull the plug (if you have someone with you) drain it out and continue on