• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Noodling for eelpout

Those southern boys don't have anything on their northern cousins when it comes to noodling. Yeah, they have to watch out for snakes and snapping turtles and beaver, but at least it's above freezing!

Eelpout spawn in January. In the dark. In shallow water. A natural resources class at Vermilion Community College has made an annual event of going to a spawning creek, observing and then "noodling" for some of the slippery fish. This spot is alongside private property, and the land owner has graciously allowed this class to come in and learn some things about a usually solitary and quiet fish.

Oh, and by the way, it was 11 degrees out!

Lookin' for 'em is half the fun!

noodle2.gif

noodle7.gif

Got 'im cornered!

noodle8.gif

By hand:

noodle1.gif

Got 'im!

noodle5.gif

It's tradition to give them a kiss:

noodle4.gif

And another: Note the milt

noodle6.gif

There's another!

noodle9.gif

Almost too deep:

noodle11.gif

Not everyone uses waders:

noodle12.gif

A couple years ago I spent several weekends at VCC. Some of the students that I was staying with at the time went out noodling with pretty good success. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who enjoys the outdoors as much as the students at VCC.

It would be interesting to research weather the Native American's have any lore on this. I would think the birch bark waders might have been a little leaky, but a great protein source in the dead of Winter. And I thought smelting the Lester during my freshman year with a pillow case (and a case of another sort) during 45 degree weather was brutal. Nice pics.

It would be interesting to research weather the Native American's have any lore on this. I would think the birch bark waders might have been a little leaky, but a great protein source in the dead of Winter. And I thought smelting the Lester during my freshman year with a pillow case (and a case of another sort) during 45 degree weather was brutal. Nice pics.

Hey senior year shorts a tennies, couldn't afford wadders! frown

Same lube though! wink

The night we went out with the students, I didn't get a chance to take any photos of the fish in the water. Went back last night to get those. They may be a bit hard to see depending on your monitor. Also included a couple more of the kids from the other night.

n26.gif

n21.gif

n22.gif

n25.gif

Yes Alyssa, you did fulfill your goal:

n24.gif

A girl and her fish:

n23.gif