• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you going to change for next year.

Archerysniper

Just wondering what everyone is going to do next year to improve their odds for next season.

For me I'm spending more time scouting and trying to new properties to hunt also keeping good relations going with the landowners that allready let me hunt. Let's face it my hunting would be nothing without those landowners.

I also learned this year when I'm not shooting good sometimes it is the bow and not me this cost me a bear of a lifetime. My groups were getting bigger at 40 yards and decided I was tired from shooting all afternoon so I packed up and headed to the stand only to have the biggest bear I have ever seen come into the bait and I couldn't get a good shot till he has 30 yards and ended up giving him a hair cut on his belly turns out the bushing on my trophridge rest wore out and wouldn't sit in the same spot every shot, I still have dreams of that luminock flying.

Here is a pic of it in the bait I couldn't get a good shot till it was leaving.

full-28877-4612-bear.jpg

Along those lines, I am going to make sure to let a few arrows fly before afternoon hunts early season. A loose sight cost me a nice doe (twice - two shots) and I figured it out after the fact obviously. I am also going to wind down the poundage on my bow a bit. Have been shooting right at 70 and that doesn't work so well late season I have found out. I thought I was going to tear my shoulder out trying to draw back once when I was so cold and stiff.

Im definitly reworking a couple of tree stands that i have that way I dont loose 70 plus days of hunting due to a broken shoulder from falling. Missed the end of Oct to the end of the season. Plus after that I tried to pull back my bow at 73#s and couldnt even budge that so my poundage will be at the lowest setting til july or august. Another is I'd like to try heavier arrows. Shooting 390 gr. want to bump it up to 420 plus. Looking at ACC's or FMJ to get a little more weight. Gotta revamp my rest too. Have an old ripcord just need to order the code red launcher to quiet the noise while im drawing back. Im sure a few other issues will come up by the time season comes around next year. Cant wait.

I'm going to focus more on long-range pre-season scouting than I have in the past. I'm also going to hang my portables higher so that the rest of the guys won't hunt my stands. Going to try out some new blends of seeds in the foodplots. I'll be hunting with a new rig as well - can't wait until opening weekend.

More scouting is at the top of my list as well. I've been out a few times since rifle season taking inventory and I found a few tracks that are showing promise for next year. The snow is getting pretty deep so I will probably hold off or at least slow down a little until spring, then really hit the scouting trail hard.

Keep up with the landowners like I always do, cut better shooting lanes in earlier in the season, refresh my mineral stations earlier and more often.

Have more family walks looking for sheds and keep on working on my workouts at home. Noticed as a age I get winded just a little more when hunting and sometimes that keeps me from wanting to go that extra mile to the best spots.

All black EZ7. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning.
Did you have to give a kidney for that one. Ive been looking at the new mathews and that would be the one id get. Still have a sbxt and wouldnt be gaining enough fps to spend that kind of dough. Looks sweet though and id be pumped too, always wanted an all black bow.

Quote:
Did you have to give a kidney for that one. Ive been looking at the new mathews and that would be the one id get. Still have a sbxt and wouldnt be gaining enough fps to spend that kind of dough. Looks sweet though and id be pumped too, always wanted an all black bow.

I have to give up my Drenalin - that's like losing a kidney isn't it? If you're looking for more speed, check out the Magnum or the MR7. Broad line this year, something for everyone.

This year I was given permission to hunt two different pieces of private land. I didn't receive permission to hunt them until right before the season started, so there was very little scouting. I really focused my attention on one of the pieces, and after getting out quite a bit. I have learned a ton about where and how the deer are moving through the woods. So next year I'm moving all of my stands, I'm not moving them alot just getting a different angle on the trails that the deer are using. I also changed my release, my peep sight, and refletched my arrows. Oh and more importantly, be satisfied with shooting a mature doe earlier. I'm eatting tag soup because I passed on does before the gun season (I hunt an area that didn't offer up bonus tags). I saw many deer usially 5-10 everytime I went out and most of them were within 15-20 yards of my stand but they were coming out behind me. I'm also going to check out the other piece more to try and figure out what is moving out there. THe last thing that I didn't get done this year is to get my wife in position to kill her first deer with a bow, she saw some but couldn't get her bow drawn.

I'll be looking at a faster smoother bow with a lot more let off. Not that it will improve my success, but it will make me feel better. I am also looking at a better tree stand and also considering more well brushed in ground blinds. And most of all, take more time off to go hunting!

Make some minor stand adjustments and get all our leases taken care of right away after the new year.

Our biggest change we will be working on is morning hunts. We are looking at not hunting in the morning as much. We feel we are doing more damage than good. My guess is few hunts in the morning until the rut is on. All we did was educate and spook deer.

Overall though, we have things pretty dialed.

The first thing I'm going to do is to get more stands up so that I can play the wind more effectively. I'm adding at least one more trail camera for next season; I learned a lot from this past year and also noticed that many of you put out a mineral/salt block to get an idea of what's on the property. I have two good spots picked for that next year. And finally, I've convinced my uncle that we need to add a food plot next season to put the odds a little more in my favor for late season hunting. He's not a hunter, but he's been very helpful when it comes to hanging stands and getting information from some of the other hunters in the area. I'm working on one local property for mid-week hunting which is going to involve some golf lessons! grin Happy New Year everyone, and thanks for another great season on the forum. Just waiting to hear back on the turkey tag application.

first off I plan to hunt more than 3 weekends this year, should up the odds! More trail cams and planting of crops for my landowner friend. not much for high quality food around so we feel it should help. Also do alot of shooting with my new (to me) bow, I am real excited for the upcoming season as this past was kind of a wash.

I am going to try to get on some new land! I have too much competition on the pieces i hunt. Going to try to talk to some local farmers about hunting on there properties. Also, I need to Shoot shoot shoot. Keeping up on my accuracy was my biggest problem early in the season so I am going to try to target practice as often as possible from now on!

I will definitely have more tree stands up for different wind directions. I'm also going to prune the apple trees on the property.

Donbo - My dads a bit of a tree nut, he's got 2 orchards with a ton of diff kinds. Plus he prunes and grafts on all the wild trees on his property. A heavy pruning will help the trees but it is also important to clear a bunch of the canopy around them - the more light the better. Also weed and fertiliz the bases...

Changes for me next year aren't much. We have a ton of stands for diff winds and am/pm areas but I have one new stand location picked out.

Besides that i'll be practicing alot with the new recurve and will be looking to take my first deer with it...

i hunted more out of state this year then instate next year i wanna get out more, around home or getting up north more. I didnt shoot as much in the off season as i did in past years also but hopefully next year my gf will be in the woods with me more also