• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My daughters first deer!!!!!

NIBOWMAN

full-25333-2740-katieandherbuck.jpg

I've been feeling guilty lately about not taking my daughter bowhunting enough this year. We've only been one time earlier this year because I've been building us a new house and we would like to be in before the snow flies. Thursday I said the heck with it and texted my daughter at school and asked if she would like to go hunting after school.

We went out to a big elevated blind that I knew was close to a corn field that was being combined. We jumped 2 does on our way to the stand. A good sign, the deer were moving after 72 hours of wind. About 5:30 I decided to try the rattling horns and grunt tube. I hadn't done a 30sec. rattling sequence yet when my daughter says "HERE HE COMES!". The buck came running up across a bean field and into the CRP 50yrds in front of the blind ready to kick some A$$. He moved off but with some soft grunts he came back around downwind trying to find this intruder. Thanks to Sent Loc and the grunt tube we got him to stop at 27yrds. Katie had already come to full draw and before I could tell her she let the arrow fly. The shot was alittle far forward, but looked good. We gave him 30min. before I climed down to look for blood and the arrow. We found blood right away. Small spots to start with then big spotches back to small spots again. When he crossed a small creek we were both a bit nervous but we got lucky and had good blood on the other side. We blood trailed for about 400yrds and 1 1/2 hrs until we found her trophy in the tall grass. I couldn't be happier for her, I think I am more proud of her and her first deer than I am of any of mine I have hanging on the wall. The look on her face after she took the shot and when we found the deer will forever be in my memory. Just for the record the buck is a 9 pointer and rough scores 121. What a way to start her bowhunting.