• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To wiz or not

I was just replying to another thread and got to thinking about my habit of taking care of natures business while in my stand.

Last year in my reading one book said there was no harm in it. Of course I've learned quickly that in bow hunting opinions are like eyes or something like that...

Anyhow, how about hearing opinions and habits on to wiz or not from the stand.

thats up to you! some of my buddies smoke, others chew and spit below them. i dont have an issue taking a leak while checking the camera up to a month before season, but after that i bring bottles with to pee in while in the stand. i guess peeing while checking the camera kinda softens the deer to my presence, and early in the year, they arent as spooky. but that last month leading up to the season and from there on after, i try to be as scent free as possible.

some think peeing is ok, others think not. some people even pee in scrapes and mock scrapes during the rut. i wouldnt eat aparagus the night before then let er buck off the stand! that may be a little offensive smelling! blush

A few years back I shot my buck early so I was out in a stand the end of october just to try and get some pics. Had to wiz so I did. Just before dark a nice 8 point spent about 10 minutes under me lickin the leaves and enjoying the taste. lol, I took a couple pics but it was in the woods and too dark so pics didn't turn out.

I used to carry a bottle or climb down till one night I climbed down and walked 70 yards from the stand and later that night a huge buck was coming in and turned to walk to the pee spot instead of staying on the trail that would have brought him into 15 yards so now i wee freely out of the tree.

I also whiz from my stand. I have never seen it deter a deer that can across it. All animals whiz in the woods and there is no disernable difference in scent from one animal to another (identifiable to a species). Many test have been done on urination in the natural setting.

I'd be more concerned getting busted from the noise of peeing from the stand. So I'd push aside some leaves and brush and what not before you climb up so you're silently hitting bare dirt. I personally bring along a bisquick pancake mix shaker bottle in my pack for stands and leave one in each of my blinds, but I don't think going out of your stand will harm anything.

I saw a video that someone did on the topic once. The jist of it was: the woods is full of pee, most of it is the same substance, it all degrades to amonia. And they actually did an experiment, collecting a gallon or two of the yellow stuff, distributed it around the site, and still the deer came in. Apparently it did not matter to the deer on that particular day of the study. Never have read any scientific study to contradict this. Draw your own conclusions, but I think it doesn't matter much. Breath, sweat, body odor, gasoline and exhaust fumes, etc. are 100 times more offensive to deer, IMHO.

I used to carry a bottle or climb down till one night I climbed down and walked 70 yards from the stand and later that night a huge buck was coming in and turned to walk to the pee spot instead of staying on the trail that would have brought him into 15 yards so now i wee freely out of the tree.

LOL,, that's a good one!

Hey Finlander that is a whole new topic.....but, seriously, the point of non estrus doe urine is what? A masking scent? a sent to calm deer? Could a few ounces in a bottle be possibly be a theraputic enough dose in the woods when it already must be in the woods? Im no expert in deer scents, but my first dollars are going to go into scent control first, then maybe a doe in heat scent, and if I have any disposable hunting funds left over after I buy my new bow, a set of rattling antlers, a new grunt and a cruncher call, self climbing tree stands, well, you get the point. I honestly don't know if it works or not. Maybe you could convince me otherwise.

Musky Hunter, I do have doe urine in a bottle that I use to stop deer in the trail by putting the urine on the far side of the tree assuming a deer will check out the scent. Therefore the deers head will be on the far side of the tree sniffing away and it will not be able to see me as I am drawing my bow and I will be able to shoot an un-alarmed deer which is better than making it stop with your voice and putting in an alarmed state which could make it jump the string.

Using doe in heat lure during non rut time will put deer in an alarmed state and could scare them away downwind even before you could see them.

Just my 2c

Thanks for the info Finlander. I missed a buck last year and it might have jumped the string, shot right over the back. And yes, I stopped it with a bleat. It was looking right at me, so I can well relate to the jumping of the string. Also contributing was misjudging the range by 10 yards. So I may well try out your advice, once I buy my new tree stand and actually have a good tree by the trail for the deer to stop and sniff, if I have $10 left in my pocket after I buy my new treestand!