• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut behavior

Scoot

Was out tonight and doing some heavy hitting with the antlers and some grunts and managed to bring in an 8 pointer at 10 yards. He was definately looking for a fight. Circeld down wind and hung out for about 15 minutes.

Today was the first day I've seen fawns out alone so things age getting close.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoot

They shot a few deer this weekend. In regards to the buck activity, no bucks chasing does, next to no scrapes and the bucks they saw were together.

Its going to be a week to 2 weeks around the ranch before she lights up.

Cool- did they take anything big this weekend? Looks like I won't be getting out early this week at all- my little girl had a temp of 104 this morning. frown Once things are situated better at home I'll try sneak out again.

I'd think those bachelor groups would be breaking up any time now. Rattling and calling should get good in the next week or so, I'd think. But... maybe it's still a little early right now, given your report. Ya never know unless you try, I guess.

i went out last night and got a bit more aggressive with my rattling. i started a little earlier than normal too, at 4. 10 minutes later, I had a six pointer comin in, and boy, he looked like he ruled the roost! hair was bristled, ears forward, and eyes peeled like bananas. he was looking everywhere. then hed walk 10 yards, stop, look and smell, and continue walking. when i first saw him, he was 30 yards out coming through some brush. he eventually got downwind of me, still looking for a fight. i adjusted my hood, and he caught a glimpse of something, and had me pegged. but he didn't care, he just walked right back to where he came from, so i gave the tube a few grunts. You should have seen that buck come ripping back to less than 10 yards of me! however, he was the only responsive buck last nite, but man, that was great seeing how riled up he was! I've never had a buck come in like that to investigative!

vister great story kind of gets me pumped to give it a try on my next trip out. I see your from Todd county how far are you from Brainerd? Just wondering if deer in curtain regions are getting that aggressive and can be rattled up in my home region?

mr

On the way out of stand yesterday morning my dad found a 6 pointer with a broken neck and one side of his rack broken off, there was a huge circle flattened around him in the tall grass. Looks to have lost the fight. The deer was still alive, so needless to say my dad filled his buck tag. This was out by Menominie. On the road coming to his land at 6 am yesterday morning (before he found the deer) I seen an absolute bruiser crossing the road coming out of his land 20 - 30 yards ahead of me, if that 6er was messing with him I can surely see why it ended how it did! Seeing a buck like that before taking stand made it easy to sit in stand till noon.

Just saw 2 bucks hanging out together on the banks of the MN river. Nothing HUGE, but, they were solid 8's! I was a few hundred yards away on the other side of the river and they still got outta dodge when I pulled over.

RRRRaaaaaah! I suppose now that I'm done bow hunting the Deer God's will torture me now for the rest of the season. wink

Was out Sunday morning in the drizzle seen nothing.

Was out Sunday night again seen nothing.

Went out tonight and again seen nothing.

I cannot wait for this chase to start I hope this weekend is hot to trot. They outta start running like crazy pretty darn soon.

I hunted this morning. Saw 6 does 1 buck (six pointer) he kept to the south of me and kept stomping the ground looking at the woods. Never got even close. After 10 am nothing was moving so I Decided I'd sit and talk with my cousin after talking with him I went to the stand. Wasn't planning on hunting the woods really but since they were working on the bin 100 yds from me I didn't have an option. Went to the stand about 2ish. I wanted to spin around the stand. Got out there and there was a doe standing under my stand. Thought it was a good sign. So I spun it around to face opposite direction and started repositioning stuff. Got things sorta the way I wanted it and I looked to the south of me and her comes a HUGE doe. I'm like sweet. I don't hunt with the quiver on and ya I still hadn't had time yet to dismount it. Was staring at her thinking back that a little buck was chasing this morning and wondering why she was up walking already staring behind her I saw antlers. Got the bow up and knocked and here is a shooter buck coming into range came around and I had what I thought a shooting lane. Drew back and let one fly. TREE!!!!!!!!! little tree was in the way. SMACKED IT DEAD ON!!!!!!!! Well this scared him big time mainly cause it was 10 feet from him but the squirels were more scared and it calmed him down. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=57255317&l=f12343a9b6&id=13950794 The doe circled around me and I knew if he followed her this far he'll keep following. I saw where she came through and ranged 35 and 25 yds depending on the trail and both would be broadside. About 20/30 min he finally started coming down the trail. Drew back and lets just say there were no trees inbetween THIS time. Hit just a hair high angling down. Saw fletching go in him. Sat in the stand next half hour shaking from excitement. Called my cousin and he came out to help track. Marked blood and hair instantly where I shot him. Got up on the hill and about 50-60 yds he was laying. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=57254530&l=0ff8df2eca&id=13950794 that link is how we found him. I don't know how to post pictures but here are some links. My cousin took better pictures with the camera this is with my phone.

Was out both days this past weekend. Oct. 24th and 25th. Saw 2 deer all day on Saturday and then on Sunday someone flipped the switsch. To make a long story short i shot a Doe at 7:45 a.m. and followed it up with a nice 8 pt. at 9:15 a.m. Saw a big 9 pt. had him at 30 yards, could not get a shot. They were chasing does and showing plenty of Rut sign. The next 2 weeks will be good. Halloween weekend is shaping up to be a great weekend to be in the tree if the weather predictions hold true. You can read all about my day in the Bow Stand Log thread.

Well the rut is definetly heating up. Had a very respectable 8ptr sneak up behind my right shoulder lastnight, caught me off guard and couldn't shoot because he was less then 5 yards...UGH!!!!! His knose was down and on a mission so he continued walking until he picked up my trail and followed it right back to my deerstand which I wasn't expecting that to happen again since it was very thick cover and close to darkthirty but he walked right up to my ladderstand again 5yards. All I had was a spine shot and thats not an option and he just slowly turned and walked out on my path to freshen up his scrapes. I can't believe what just happened in less then 30 seconds I had a PB within 5 yards twice and couldn't seal the deal. I'm still shacking my head. Time to start dragging a scent trail because he was a hoover lastnight.

mr

Put a stand up saturday around noon right between a corn field and a swamp. Huge scrape and rub 30yds away, and tons of scat everywhere. The oak tree branches that the scrape was under were mangled, so I had a good Idea it was a large buck. Well never saw much of anything except a doe, but I did manage to get that bruiser on video with my trail cam(middle of the night). Just a 5 second clip, and he must have been going through pretty fast cuz I can only see one side of his anlters in it. Pretty sweet though! Only problem is I wont be able to hunt this spot gain until after the gun season. Hopefully he'll still be running around. What are your thoughts on that?

i just dont think the rut is goin yet, at least not the chase phase. well, the bucks may be chasing, but there are too many does still with their fawns. saw a doe with triplets, and two does each with twins tonight, and the fawns were still banging the milk bag. i don't know whats goin on, they shouldn't be doing that this time of the year, especially with the rut coming up.

seen a big darked horn ten chasing a doe tonight leaving the wildlife we hunt when i was going to pick up my buddy on the opposite side of the wildlife. He must have came from somewhere inbetween us. with college its hard to get out everynight but hopefully we can again this week before someone else gets him