• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut behavior

Scoot

my belief an understanding is the first full moon after the harvest moon which is nov. 2nd. now back that day up 7 days which is oct 26. two days before and five days after 24 to 31 is what they call the chase phase. Bucks go frickin wild. they can smell does coming into estorous but there is none yet. So they frantically search. You will often see them running across open fields in broad day light.

A couple years ago I witnessed 21 different bucks in one morning of hunting a lot of little ones and three nice ones. All acting weird.

During that time frame if you can perch in a tree on a funnel near bedding areas or feeding areas your gonna see this weird buck movement.

when the does start to come into estorous the big ones lock up with a doe which leaves the little ones out wondering around. until that doe gets bred the big one is with her. then he moves on to the next one and so forth.

Rattling works wonders during this time. I will set up in five or ten different locations and rattle. depending on how much time I have.

give it a whirl here in the next week it is unreal.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a big fight between an 8 and a 10 a week ago and have started seeing some scrapes also. I dont like to hunt MEA weekend because its right in the middle of the lull. I take off the few days around Halloween for the prerut. Last year I saw a big 10 point on Oct 30th, I cant wait for next week, bring on the big boys.

Well I have allways had great results on Oct 23 have one P&Y to show for it another smaller one from when i was younger and not picky and have ratteled in a real giant that I would not take the quartering towards shot on 2 years ago all happened on Oct 23. It is normally when the bucks start chasing or bumping does but their are not even close to estrous yet.

Alot of people i associate with talk about October 24th as a magic date. I was in archery headquarters today and the talk was this weekend things should get into gear. I can't argue, last year on the 24th i messed up on a big dog. I'll be hitting it hard so we'll see what happens.

shot my biggest buck on oct 24th 2002... 15pt. pope n younger

In my mind, the October lull is prerut. The bucks are staging, making a few scrapes and rubs, and the does are starting to kick off the fawns, as evidenced the last two times out I saw nice does all by themselves. Grunted in a small buck, and the big guys are all nocturnal. When the full blown rutt hits, the big guys are constantly on the move running in search of does, scraping and rubbing all over the place. I'm not kidding, the last three years I have went out on the last weekend in Oct, and the field edges look like someone came through with a dethatcher. That is when I know the rut is going on. I have only seen a couple of small scrapes so far, nothing like what I am expecting to see based on the last 10 yrs of hunting, that I know.

Well everyones opinon of the rut is diffrent when everyone talks about peak rut that means lock down for me when the bucks are locked down with does and will not leave them. My best times have been what I call the pre rut or chase phase and the second rut when they start chasing again.