• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut behavior

Scoot

sat in the stand fri day night and missed a 150 class deer. I felt horrible. sat night seen another p&y running around like a dog. Sunday morning seen a 140 class class chasing a doe around me all morning, no shot offered. Monday night my brother shot a 138 and we have not been out since then. time! hopefully they are not locked up by sat.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally saw heavy chasing in SEMN. Doe didn't seem receptive. She was chased by a nice buck. Buck finally took off, doe followed a couple of minutes later. Saw another buck cruising the field edge. I am off tomorrow, I am going to give it one more good try before the firearm opener.

Well from last night and Saturday morning. Things are heating up. Had two bucks following a doe and yearling Saturday morning, one of which was a 10 that I missed due to a deflection by a branch. Last night had a large doe and a yearling that were being chased by a decent 8pt. First sighting about 35-40 yards out. The 8 pt. held up in the brush and I tried every trick in my bag to get him to come my way, grunt, bleat, light rattle and he still went after the doe. I had some golden eustrus on a wick and he was upwind of it and never even gave any indication he was interested. An hour later he runs the doe and yearling right past my stand at 10 yards but they came from behind me and I couldn't get a shot. Does were on the run and the 8 was trotting and never responded to a bleat. I opted not to take the iffy shot at a trotting deer even though it was basically point blank.

Tunrevir~

Ever hit a deer Dave? I have, came out of a ditch with high weeds, he was invisible in the ditch until he was on the road in my headlights, I was only going 55 mph, little button buck. Felt terrible, also cost me $1200 to fix my truck. I'm sorry if that would have throttled your lever, but I gaurantee, I didn't try and hit a deer that you may have been watching. I'm prettty sure that noone is hitting "your" nice deer on purpose.

oh no i didnt want you to take it in the wrong way, some situations are not in your control, i understand. I have hit a deer, the year i bought my 2004 dodge durango, also came out of the weeds, $7,400 in damage. It was almost considered a total. But where i live, I know people who take there beaters on the back roads and intentionally hit deer. thats why I get sensitive about that topic. they've actually got a term for it, but i cant remember. We've got alot of literal red necks around here.

No problem Dave, sometimes you have to watch how you word things, or they can sound totally wrong. I am not surprised that some people do that, not to far off from the Wisconsing guys that ran them over with snowmobiles for fun. Its pretty sick actually.

Back to rut behavior..

Thursday a few small ones trolling the woods, one nice one at 30 yards but no shot, Friday sat all day and nothing but dinks pushing does around all day, probably saw 25 deer. Sat and Sun shut down completely aside from a couple dinks, no chasing at all, I think the awefully warm temps didn't do any good in that department. Only saw a handful of deer each day.

Yeah, I agree, I saw zero chasing this weekend, it was really heating up last week, but it was WARM this last weekend. Plenty of little guys trolling through, but no big dogs like last week. This was even in lightly hunted, non pressured areas. Mainly walk to the stand, sit, leave. Heard a lot of shots in my area, wondering how many does got shot right away.

I was in an area bordering a few hundred acres of state park, with no pressure, so it wasn't hunting pressure, it was warm temps, one guy shot a nice one with the shotgun Sunday on the property I was hunting. (He wasn't even supposed to be there but that's a different story...) but all in all pretty slow, gonna check the forecast now and see what's up.

I shot a 10 point Monday morning and he stank a little bit in the legs when I gutted him. Friday I had an 8 pointer (I believe) walk right by me and he never lifted his head to look at me but he had his nose foot off the ground and going straight through the woods on a trail. I had a Tinks 69 Scent drag and he crossed my trail and never flinched.