• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VIKINGS DIVISION CHAMPS

reinhard1

Its nice to see the team at least relevant. I had them pegged as an 8-8 or 9-7 team and missing the playoffs.  I also handed Green Bay the division even as last at mid season.  While this year has been fun and given us something to cheer for I more excited to see what the future may hold for this team beyond this season.  It looks like we finally have a coach that knows what he's doing and we have a defense that can make a stop when they need to.  Still some questions on offense as the jury is still out on Teddy but for now I'll just be content in the victory and a chance to make some noise in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Its nice to see the team at least relevant. I had them pegged as an 8-8 or 9-7 team and missing the playoffs.  I also handed Green Bay the division even as last at mid season.  While this year has been fun and given us something to cheer for I more excited to see what the future may hold for this team beyond this season.  It looks like we finally have a coach that knows what he's doing and we have a defense that can make a stop when they need to.  Still some questions on offense as the jury is still out on Teddy but for now I'll just be content in the victory and a chance to make some noise in the playoffs.

All this is for now. Every year the team make up will change. I guess the best thing that came out of this year it will give the team and owners a little more support for the Monolith they are building down town. ;)

I agree, this is the reality for now.  Next year it could be completely different, for good or bad.  We have a lot of good young talent so I'm hopeful for the future but I'm not pegging this team as repeat division winners just yet.  I expect the Packers to bounce back next year and I'm still not sure which way the Vikings offense is going.  However, I am starting to trust Zimmer to at least have us competitive more often than not.

There's no doubt that the Vikings had a surprisingly good season thanks to their defense mostly but you have to acknowledge that if the Packers don't have an epic meltdown, they would have sewn up the division weeks ago.

You can thank the Packers for that Division Championship as much as you can thank the Vikings.

Edited by Big Dave2

28 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

There's no doubt that the Vikings had a surprisingly good season thanks to their defense mostly but you have to acknowledge that if the Packers don't have an epic meltdown, they would have sewn up the division weeks ago.

You can thank the Packers for that Division Championship as much as you can thank the Vikings.

Thank Green bay for what? If Detroit actually knew how to play defense on a hail mary last nights game has a completely different meaning. I guess we all know now that a Mike Zimmer defense is better at defending the Hail Mary than the lions.

Lmit, the Vikes did beat KC, but that was well before they went on their big win streak.

Big Dave I think we are seeing the closing of the GB window... they had to start paying all those young talented guys "serious" money or lose them to FA, costing them depth and coupled with injuries they could not just keep finding OL/WR off the street, same in NE as the injuries and salary cap is finally showing chinks in the armor of some of these really good teams... in the next few years IMO you will see SEA also in this group as QB RB SS CB all want bigger $$ (that they deserve) and depth is what gets hurt with the salary cap. NE has survived for so long due to FA players wanting a chance at a super bowl but in the life span of FB players they need to make their $$ when they can and that is even losing the luster. IN the end talent wins games and the Vikes are younger with more upside than most teams. Certainly not all, as I am not sure we have the Stud QB to get us over the top. 

Overall GB was not a good team this year, Rodgers looked human/pedestrian without his full stable of weapons and solid OL play. And their Def lost too many play makers to injury and FA... I mena the Det Lions were a HAil Mary save away from SWEEPING GB this year! Now, the Vikes also were also inconsistent, don't get me wrong, but a team projected to be 8-8 AT BEST being 11-5 is a good year in ANY scenario. I like our direction but I do not think anybody has dreams of us being elite at this point, we still have too much money invested at RB, LT, C* & RT* (*2 of which played ZERO downs this year). We are trending the right way still and beating GB is all the sweeter.     

The Vikings won the division by beating the other teams in their division.  If that means the other teams tanked then so be it.  I doubt Green Bay cared that they won the division in 2013 with a lousy 8-7-1 record, the banner still goes up and the team still goes to the playoffs. 

No reason to apologize for winning the division.  Take the wins however they come and move on.

1 hour ago, nofishfisherman said:

The Vikings won the division by beating the other teams in their division.  If that means the other teams tanked then so be it.  I doubt Green Bay cared that they won the division in 2013 with a lousy 8-7-1 record, the banner still goes up and the team still goes to the playoffs. 

No reason to apologize for winning the division.  Take the wins however they come and move on.

I'm not saying they should apologize. Just saying you should be realistic.

15 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I feel like I'm being pretty realistic.  I've said several times over the season that I expected Green Bay to win the division even up until mid way through the year I had pretty much written off a division title for the Vikings.  Green Bay did melt down coming down the stretch to give us a chance to win the division but does that matter?  The vikings still had to finish with 11 wins to make it happen.  Every division winner likely wins the division because another team melted down during at least one critical game. Carolina could thank the 6-1 Falcons for collapsing into an 8-8 team, Washington can thank everyone in their division for basically giving them the division, and Arizona can thank Seattle for their 2-4 start which really killed an division race right from the start.  Same type of thing can probably be said for most if not all the AFC division winners. 

If you want to be realistic you have to realize that to win it means another team probably blew their own chance either with bad play, bad coaching, critical injuries, or a combination of the 3. 

Absolutely no need to THANK GB for anything.  They went onto that field with the best intentions of kicking the Viking's one-just-like-silly-me,   played the best they could with the tools they had,   and lost the game.

Nothing complex here boys.  It's football. Count on there being one winner and one loser in every game.

1 hour ago, dfv87 said:

I just realized (saw it elsewhere) that GB lost to everybody in the division AT Lambeau this year!! Holy cow when has that ever happened to GB?

Not since the 60's.  I heard them talking about it this morning on the radio.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Exactly.  The Vikings have zero quality wins this year and folded like a cheap lawn chair every time a legitimate team showed up on their schedule.

I smell another 41-donut about to be served...

11 hours ago, LMITOUT said:

Were the Packers the first team with a record above .500 that the Vikings beat all year?

Good luck in the playoffs finding sub .500 teams to play.

Heh heh...

#SKOLOLOLOLOL

Vikings are 2-4 against current playoff teams. 2 of those losses were 23-20, with the Vikings losing possession late due to strip sacks. The Packers were 3-4, although they have won just 1 of the last 5 of those, that being the game in Minnesota.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
1 hour ago, LMITOUT said:

That wasn't the question or the point.

Only you care about that. :D

Heard a good one... ESPN is reporting that the Green Bay games will now be televised on the History Channel due to their fans current desire to always talk about the past. :) 

22 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Realistic is that the Vikings are division Champs with a 11-5 record and the Pack is the bridesmaid with a 10-6 record. Not sure why you don't get that Dave.

56 minutes ago, Rick said:

Realistic is that the Vikings are division Champs with a 11-5 record and the Pack is the bridesmaid with a 10-6 record. Not sure why you don't get that Dave.

Realistic is that the Vikings are going nowhere beyond that.