• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer

schmitty3

Who cares about what he has done in the past.

What has he done lately?

Not a bleeping thing that makes him worth more than a bag of balls and a box of bats as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't agree more...he is as soft as Charmin tissue paper. I bet the Twins front office is completely running in circles right now...they are stuck...big time!

How many players in the World Series were playing hurt...even throughout the whole play-offs? Mauer is a super talented young player that needs some LEADERSHIP and STRONG-HANDED management to get him focused on what's expected of him. The Twins have neither.

The best thing the Twins could do right now is aquire a free-agent who has the experience and the nuts to call Joe "out". Nobody in the organization will do it now. If they don't, "they" or him, has to go.

yes this past season was brutal for him but let's not write him off yet. don't think he was healthy at all and hopefully he will get his health back and we'll see more of the mauer that we've seen in previous seasons.

no, he likely will never earn the $ that he signed for but few baseball players really do earn their $ based on their on the field performance.

He admitted that he does not work out much in the off season.

He said he was going to work out more and eat better this off season.

He is getting paid an absurd amount of money to play a game and he does not have the decency to keep himself in shape.

He admitted that when he was younger he really did not have to do much to stay in shape but it is getting harder as he gets older.

The guy is soft and has no work ethic.

He will never fully reach his potential with the attitude he has.

He is the single most overrated athlete in MN sports history.

The Twins should trade him.

They might be able to get a bag of balls and a bat or two for him.

Certainly no team would give us an actual player for him.

I have never been a Mauer apologist.

I have ripped him since he was drafted.

He is complete garbage, the Twins need to call him out and tell him to remove his head from his sphincter.

I see he said yesterday he is more ready than ever for next year.....

I am thinking 2 things happened to Joe.

1. Realized he was a slacker last year in the off-season and needed to improve his off season work outs.

2. Billy (allowance for whining) Smith was fired and there is a new(old) Sheriff in town who expects more bang for his buck!

When Joe firsdt came up, he was all that.

Since then or the past few seasons, seems if he bumps his little toe he has to sit and watch.

He got his huge contract and now it seems he is LAZY.

Too bad the Twins cannot dump him as he will be a spendy first baseman at best unless he gets his head and body back in the game.

He will hurt the Twins until his contract runs out.

Only time will tell but it does not look good for Joe.

Now that Joe has the big contract and is set for life, maybe the commercials simply fill his pockets even more.

Joe does not have to worry about another contract signing, he has plenty to go until the eend of time with all his little pains.

Just think if every time a fellow did not go to work his he had a tummy ache, I wonder how long one would have thier job.

This is a good example of why the players of all sports need to be on a performance pay schedule. You get paid for how you perform. No more guarantees.

Good luck getting that negotiated in contracts. Players would just as soon go overseas, in ANY sport, for the guaranteed contracts.

I agree though. That would save our small market teams from making big blunders on underperforming players such as Mauer. I'm hopeful tough that he will have a great year this year.

All those grousing about Mauer better hope they're wrong about him or pick a new team to root for. Like it or not, he's here for a looooong time. He has the talent to have a greater positive impact on this team than any other single player on the roster. It comes with enough salary to hsve a greater negative impact than any other player on the roster. If we want the Twins to be successful, we have to hope for Mauer and Morneau to be healthy and productive in 2012. No free agent or AAA reinforcement will pick up that much slack.

Then let em go overseas lol. JK really, how'd you like to play for Chinese Dragons and head downtown for a few, drive your hummer around. I hear Harvey, sure Tex/St.L had more to play for the title but Napoli and Molina were both in really bad shape. We weren't in bad shape in early June and he wasn't even able to pinch hit, cmon. Year #2 of his deal is upon us soon, he could easily help erase the memories from last year. Definitely agree we need him, but you don't give a catcher that kind of money, in your fantasy drafts how often are you looking for a catcher as yours is on the disabled list. They do get beat up and have freakish injuries happen to them often. I think the Mauer family said look Joe, you're going to be a catcher and it's the fast track to the majors, Tim Laudner hit .171 and that was good enough so if you can hit that for a MLB average you'll stay in the bigs someday. I do think he's feeling the pressure and I think he will bounce back and contend for a batting title this year, power #'s are way unknown and what kind of mess could this season turn into, what's our opening day roster going to look like compared to the rest of the AL central ?

Also heard she was a Tiger fan.......:) Let's just hope the Golden Boy of St. Paul can turn it around. Even if he catches half the time we're hoping that's still better than last year.

Christensen wrote about how good Mauer says he feels. I heard Morneau say he feels "100%" better than last year. Funny, I remember hearing the same thing last year. Lots of lies floating around last year or this year, or more likely, both years.

Mauer on the news last night looked great, heavier some, extremely healthy, I'm encouraged big time now, we're like the Wild, we need no main men on the DL or it goes south in a hurry. Mauer looked good physically, better than I've ever seen him so we'll lose 98 games instead of 99 this year ! JK shock the daylights out of us Twins!

Gardenhire needs to be that leader, not a player necesarilly. Just because you are a talent and are rewarded for it doesn't mean you are a leader. I agree that Mauer needs to take a stronger role because of his position on the team but some players just have the ability or want to lead. I think we all agree that Gardie lost the players ear last year and blamed everybody else, including the minor leagues, for his failure to lead and get the team prepared to play. Maybe the players got tired of hearing his voice and just tuned him out and if that's the case he needs to be replaced. Leadership starts at the top and if Mauer can't be that leader someone else has to step up. Just because you're a high profile player doesn't make you a leader. Not defending Mauer I just don't think he has what it takes to lead the team.

Souhan really gave him an earfull yesterday. I feel my bi-lateral leg weakness kicking in again, wonder if my boss would let me go on the shelf for a month or 2 ? My hope for Joe and the team was once he signed this huge deal he'd be able to completely focus on somehow finding the way to contending for a title. I don't want his 1987 and 1991 videos to be good enough, how about a 2014 video to go with those 2. To me in those WS years it seemed like we had men on the team, now it seems like we have boys on the team. You need a healthy mix of each. The hardest part is watching 2 excellent players seem like they're 38 instead of 28 not that they need to be cheerleaders but their body language stinks. They need to bat 3rd and 4th for us to be any kind of threat this year.

Gardenhire needs to be that leader,

I ranted to the Twins a month into the season last year that I blamed Gardy for their problems. The came out of spring training unfit to play ball, quickly got into a hole and injuries right out of the gate.

In my opinion that was on Gardy's shoulders for fielding a team that was out of shape and out of practice. He was too lax.

I'm looking forward to this spring based on Gardy's comment about no more mister nice guy. Hopefully the coaches will get on these guys or bench them early until they shape up. It's for their own good.

It may come down to Joe playing first if Morneau doesn't get his stuff figured out. Just because Joe had a sub-par year last season doesn't mean anything. More than likely the ball will look like a grape fruit coming in there for him again this year and he will be smacking doubles opposite field again.

The big topic shouldn't be on Joe and his yearly injuries, yeah it throws a loop into things but the twins need to get two ace pitchers. The defense is there (most games), the offense should be alright, but no team goes deep into the playoffs or wins a world series without quality hurlers.

Two ace pitchers? Not asking for much.This is a staff that has maybe 1 or 2 pitchers that can throw over 90. If Parmalee keeps hitting like last September and so far in spring training Joe might not see any time at first. I agree, the Twins desperately need pitching but where do you find it?

Two ace pitchers? Not asking for much.This is a staff that has maybe 1 or 2 pitchers that can throw over 90. If Parmalee keeps hitting like last September and so far in spring training Joe might not see any time at first. I agree, the Twins desperately need pitching but where do you find it?

Gotta open up the pocketbook that's where much of the true talent is, yea it would be nice to draft and develop like the twins use to but thats getting tougher and tougher