• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer

schmitty3

Should be interesting to see if the 184 mill what the twins get back for that pricetag, I kinda assumed, if we are shelling that out for 1 guy we must be ready to step it up a notch in paying guys not just Joe now I hear we don't have much money to sign anyone else, which begs the ? then why in the .... would we do that deal then ? Kinda thought with Carl's passing, the next Pohlad would be huge checkbook, well at least Mauer is coming into his prime or should be, huge numbers coming.

I was screaming no when I heard we signed him to that deal, but that wasn't his fault. Name 32 better catchers well the league leaders in RBI in both leagues are John Buck and Mike Napoli, catchers. The best overall catcher is Yadier Molina. Joe is a pure inside out hitter, great hitter my issue is in the given game he is rarely the best hitter of the individual ballgame on either side. This bothers me some, is he a team leader ? Sunday, my first twins game I watched this year, Trevor Plouffe hits a huge early homer vs. Cleveland and when he came into the dugout Joe looked the other way and was talking with someone else, get off that bench Joe and hi-five your teammate, cmon clown, Parmelee was all over Plouffe, very happy for him, Joe may or may not have muttered nice tilt. Think Jim Thome would've congratulated Plouffe you bet, didn't like that at all, now who knows maybe after the camera went off the dugout maybe all of that happened but it didn't appear it would, I didn't like that. That is not at any level the kind of teammate I'd want, your captain, you do well and you get nada, cmon man.

That's always been my biggest issue with him - no fire. I understand it's a long season and you can't go on an emotional roller coaster, but a team needs someone who's going to show some spark from time to time and not just be a robot. Argue a call, go crazy celebrating something, get after a teammate or an opponent, something...

So RRR you are down on Mauer then i take it... I wasn't sure by your posts...

Economically speaking Mauer is the #1 jersey, #1 draw of fans, #1 reason the national media even mentions a Twins score. They paid him more money than he produces on the feild... Yes they do. But He MAKES the team money and that is what the contract is really for. IMO.

So RRR you are down on Mauer then i take it... I wasn't sure by your posts...

Economically speaking Mauer is the #1 jersey, #1 draw of fans, #1 reason the national media even mentions a Twins score. They paid him more money than he produces on the feild... Yes they do. But He MAKES the team money and that is what the contract is really for. IMO.

So we should be happy he is making billionaires more money?

They obviously are not using that money for payroll.

As a fan, I sit back and watch these huge signings and laugh when people complain, since that is all we can do.

If they would have offered Joe a contract @ 18 million a year and he went somewhere else for a larger one, almost everyone would have said we have cheap owners and they should have paid to keep him here.

Could Joe gave a "hometown" discount? Sure, but would any of you?

Remember we are talking SEVERAL MILLION Dollars, not tens of thousands.

Happened with the Garnett situation and the Wolves, everyone would have been ticked if we would not have ponied up the money, and yet everyone said he "broke" the team by doing it.

It was a lose/lose situation for the twins in that they would either overpay or lose him at the time and they did what seemed right then. Like most everyone else, I think it's way too much money for a guy who hits singles and doubles but part of the problem is the home field. If joe was a Yankee does anybody doubt that he would be a 25 or more homer guy every year with their field dimensions and hitting philosophy over there? Twin fans would be much angrier with that than with the current situation.

I will admit It is very annoying listening to the tv guys compare joe to guys like Cabrera and some of the other big name players who have way higher hr and rbi numbers whenever we play those teams. But suppose that is just those guys getting paid to talk that way.

Mauer can hold his own, but he is NOT worth $22,000,000.00 per year. I would have passed on him. What about the "hometown discount"....ya right.

Hold his own?

You cannot be serious?

He admits he is too tuckered out to play a day game after a night game.

Last time I checked there were only 5 players in all of baseball with a higher batting avg. than Mauer.

Oh goody!

We are paying 22 million a year for a singles hitter?

Mauer has handcuffed the Twins with his massive contract.

He has no power.