• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Deer-Buffalo County WI

Jim Hudson

If he's scored as a typical 6x6, his typical frame will gross close to 200", with the long abnormals, I'd guess close to 225. The common base points don't affect whether it can be scored as a typical or not, the length will just be subtracted on a typical or added on a non-typical. I think the hardest part of scoring deer like this is deciding what the typical frame is, he has a crab-claw point on the inside of his right main beam that would make him a 6x6. Little things like that make a big difference in score, which is why scoring some deer doesn't do the rack justice. Still a 200" deer is always bigger than a 140".

Mike

If points were actually determined to be common base (full figure 8 or peanut shape required now), then they would be classified as typical. Hard to tell from the pics I've seen but I think this buck's biggest problem as far as classifying points as typical or non-typical is their location on the beam. They can all be typical, even if some appear to come off the inside top of the beam and others off the outside top of the beam - as long as they're staggered. If it is determined that any points coming up are side by side, one inside and one outside, then non-typ. My guess on gross is 230-240, but I think he'll be non-typical. In my opinion, the biggest mistake that B&C and P&Y (same scoring system) made when determining their system was the requirement to first subtract for symmetry, then add in abnormal points, when scoring a non-typical. I say the fact that you decided to create a non-typ category in the first place, you should give them credit for everything they grow.

Best part of the article....

"On Sunday Decker smiled as he recounted stories of harvesting those deer. He laughed as he showed visitors a tiny four-point rack from a buck he killed last year during a hunt in Minnesota"