• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did you learn about fishing - Spring/ Summer 2008??

Down Deep

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SLipperybob, Check out the equipment/expert info forum, its got a really good DIY wheel bearing packing post.

Thanks, I read that when it was first posted, but it all just went over my head. What's even worse was that I had once did it in auto mechanics class back in middle school like some twenty years ago. I will have to re-read things a few more times.

I learned that I can only fish so much on the shore before I get squeezed out by fellow shore anglers.

Ain't that the truth...reason why I want to be a boat so bad too...

I've also learned that when I was younger, I wasted a lot of money...on useless things like reef aquariums...with that money..I could be fishing on my boat right now as I'm typing this...

I've learned after reading the Outdoor News the past month, to invest in a good ruler and not trust the plastic rulers that mount to the side of your boat. I don't want to get a ticket for having an illegal fish that I thought was an acceptable length.

The good thing about fogetting your camera is you a almost gaurenteed the biggest fish you ever caught. I learned that on Millacs this year. And that walleye spittin it out at the boat reminds me of good times had. Those are always the best fish of the day too..

I learned the Walleyes do bite after dark on my favorite stained water lake, in spite of what the "veterans" told me. It's just a question of being shallow enough in the right spots.

I also learned I enjoy catching limits of eaters more than I do 29's. Although both are nice. wink

I learned that big swimbaits really do work - even in deep (20+) water. I learned that every fish I caught that way in deep water would stay down for a few seconds and then immediately rush for the surface and jump (odd but true).

I learned that texas riggin is FUN and deep cranks for bass bring in big fish late in the year like now.

I also learned that a die hard eye guy like me can learn to fish bass. (Kinda) and that bluegill fishing with your kids can be the most fun fishing in the world!

The good thing about fogetting your camera is you a almost gaurenteed the biggest fish you ever caught. I learned that on Millacs this year. And that walleye spittin it out at the boat reminds me of good times had. Those are always the best fish of the day too..
mine are always when I find a hole full of sunnies and I forget my basket.....

Good stuff here!

I learned I just can not catch a Muskie. After I had 10 strong follows to the boat one day in July, all within 2 hours, I decided to give up. I have not been out Muskie fishing since, too frusterating.

Instead I picked up fly fishing for smallmouth in the ole' Miss. Love it! I don't think I am very good yet. I just picked up a fly rod and starting doing it. No idea what I was doing when I first started. Saves on gas too. The 150 on the boat sure loves the gas. Now I just grap my rod, wading boots and hit the river right by my house. I have never been skunked yet. I am glad I am learning the fly fishing sport, I just can't stop thinking about it. Who knows I may try for muskies this fall, probably not though, too many ducks and pheasants to shoot.

I learned to always make sure that the batteries are charged. It makes it hard to fish when you dont even have enough juice to start the motor.

Also to carry a really long set of jumper cables incase you have to jump the boat. wink

Ditto. Especially when you have woken up at 4 am to make it to the lake you wanted so badly to fish that day. It takes you 40 minutes to drive there, 5 to launch the boat. 5min to park the truck. 15min of swearing. 5 more to get the truck.........

Don't leave the key in the on position the night before with all the acc's on when you park the boat in the driveway the night before. shocked

I learned that the fishing equipment marketers got fisherman by the short and curlies, that 99% of the stuff they peddle is not needed to be a good angler and make great memories. Stop shopping, cover the bases with the time-tested basics, shut up and fish more!!! grin

You gotta figure out how fish behave in each corner of a given body of water at certain times of the year, and track it over time within a given month for the greatest success. Anything less cannot be made up for with all the coolest and latest equipment - the only wya to make up for not doing it is to go fishing with someone who did it for you. grin