• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Alaska Experiment

jltimm

I thought this was going to be an interesting show, but the more I see it the more I root for them all to get eaten by bears. Like someone said, none of these people have any real outdoors experience. With the equipment given to them I believe most of us could survive quite nicely for 3 months.

BTW does anyone else wonder if any of the contestants have fishing or hunting licenses? Are they following any fish and game rules?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure the discovery channel covered the appropriate licenses for the contestants. It would be awefully dumb of them not to. That would be blatant poaching for the world to see. Even though they seem to have missed the ball with the real Alaska Experiment, the people behind the show have a bit more brain mass than that.

I would love to do something like that, no guide though. Drop me off at a remote cabin and leave me to wonder about the woods.

Have you noticed how hackish they are when it comes to fishing? Spinning reels upside down and all. Gotta love it.

If you tried to make a show with a bunch of FMer's like the 'Experiment', it wouldn't be and experiment! grin.gif We'd have er licked and be yuckin it up around the campsite every show.

I'm hoping this show gets the point across to those people who are on the fence about hunting, fishing, and recreating in the outdoors. It really shows that our wilds are no place for the careless uninformed. And its been great hearing the support of these Citiots and their new understanding of how the food chain actually works. The whole circle theory.

You guys would be like I was on my trips. 15 days in Eureka K2 with no civilization contact and all you would want is fresh, clean, dry clothes and you'd be ready for another 15! grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bigsmitty

I thought it was funny when the narrator said that bears swarm when they hear a gun fire and come running to eat.

That's what I'm talking about! They play stuff up like that. No way. Fish flopping and bears come running!

I meant to mention that about the gun as a walking support. Bad idea. Wow. And the license thing crossed through my mind too. Good points. As far as the licenses a google search shows they started casting the middle of last summer. Would there have been enough time to apply for big game tags entering fall and winter? I'm guessing Alaska tourism probably gave them the go-ahead or something.

While I think Alaska would be a tough place to live in, if any of us were fully outfitted like that we would be doing just fine. Working 4-6 hours a day and goofing off the other 10:

"Well, the work is done, what do you say we try that new Mister Twister Mister Mino for Salmon"

"Sounds like a plan!"

"Good. I fermented a little sawdust with salmon egg ale and made some goat jerky and pickled ptarmigan eggs. We're livin the dream now!"

So I wasn't the only one talking to the screen last night.

I really thought I was gonna hurl a couple of times.

the guy slips and wacks the scope on the rifle and expects it to shoot right.

He couldn't even gut his own kill.

And his wife was the lucid one because she really had a right to be worried about her man, even I was worried about him.

after about 20 minutes of this drivel I had to change the channel

the one gal did manage to pull that dog salmon out with her hands and into the net.

One more reason the stay on the forums, at least there is intelligent life here.

I did a caribou hunt in 99' and haven't been back since but the best thing about winter there is that there's no biting flies or mesquitoes. the producers are just a bad as the cast.

What's with the one couple, the dudes like "if a woof comes, I gonna shoot the woof". It's called a Wolf man, not a woof. I don't know where they got the people for this show, but wow, have ever been out of your home before?

I notice a couple things that I didn't really like with this show...

One the buffalo, granted it was a long way away from them, but now there possibly is an animal walking around wounded with a chunk of lead in him. Even though it is a large animal it can't be too good for it and the professional guides or whoever they are should have told them that a .22 would be practically useless against an animal of that size and that they should not shoot at it.

Second did anyone notice anything fishy when the group came upon the dead buffalo? The guts of the animal appeared to be in a neat little pile several feet from the carcass. I am not an expert on predators but could someone explain to me how this would happen? I think a bear or wolves or whatever happened to find that carcass would not separate it from it's entrails, but maybe I am over analyzing!

I thought the same thing about the dead buffalo!!! This show is pretty entertaining, but it is clearly fixed, setup, or whatever. That buffalo was shot, gutted, and then mangled to make it look like it was killed by an animal.

One problem I have with it is the gun safety issue, I saw countless moments where guns were being held in a manner that is inexcusable. Its still a pretty funny show though.

Allright, it's ABUNDANTLY clear that no one here would be eligible for this show. If you have an ounce of Outdoorsman in you you were screened out of the casting process. People that have never fired much less held a gun, people that can't unhook fish nevermind holding a spinning rod correctly, people that need a day to fix a saw handle despite having all the necessary tools. Do I need to go on?

Which is why Discovery channel should really do a show taking outdoorsmen from I Falls, Pequot Lakes and Fargo, and drop them into the Middle of the Robert Taylor Homes on the west side of Chicago, and see how they survive. No Ebonics translators, no A.C.H.D.'s (Anti Crack-Head Devices) and make them wear John Deere clothing wear.

That would be interesting....... grin

Watching the show right now, it looks like the team of Jake and Elizabeth are going to finish out alright. The Wise family (dad and two daughters who aren't so chubby anymore) is not gonna last much longer. For the first time on the show I heard someone ask where the safety was on the gun, at least a little common sense.

It's like a car accident, once you look, you can't turn away.

I guess there is finally proof that they are hunting tags. They only had 4 days to get the moose and failed. I love how they exaggerate things, like how they might call in a wolf or bear while making moose calls...give me a break.

None of the computer nerds wanted to hunt the goat so they drew cards...But did you notice the guide sighting in the goat with his gun, did he fire the gun too? We'll never know. I hope that if/when I get drawn for a MN moose hunt (with any luck) no one else will want to shoot the thing and I'll get dibs smile

Let's face it, the (formerly) chubby girls would be dead without their dad. Like he said, they lack a lot maturity for twenty-somethings. His planning, preparation, and mechanical know-how is getting them through everything.

Not a lot of coverage of the Piersons...He was busy logging and she was sick

Yeah, kinda had to feel sorry for the sick girl. Sounds like a little case of food poisoning after eating some questionable meat.

It does suck that they didn't get a moose, there wasn't much else for a chance at food for them. That is going to make it pretty tough now.

I think the IT guy was the only one that shot, he seemed pretty confident in shooting. They sure were happy to get some meat on the skillet though.

Originally Posted By: da_chise31
Allright, it's ABUNDANTLY clear that no one here would be eligible for this show. If you have an ounce of Outdoorsman in you you were screened out of the casting process. People that have never fired much less held a gun, people that can't unhook fish nevermind holding a spinning rod correctly, people that need a day to fix a saw handle despite having all the necessary tools. Do I need to go on?

Which is why Discovery channel should really do a show taking outdoorsmen from I Falls, Pequot Lakes and Fargo, and drop them into the Middle of the Robert Taylor Homes on the west side of Chicago, and see how they survive. No Ebonics translators, no A.C.H.D.'s (Anti Crack-Head Devices) and make them wear John Deere clothing wear.

That would be interesting....... grin

Im all for that idea! that would make an awesome series...if they survived day 1 smile

we do not have to go that far. take one of us from up north here and drop them off in downtown Minneaplois and have a race to see who gets up north first. I know I would not win and a lot of people would have a good laugh watching me just figure out where in hades i am.

No one thought the hunt for the goat would be fun? Some strange people to me? Did anyone question the bunkbeds ability's to hold up the "not so chubby" anymore daughters? That poor dad!