• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Man-Vs-Wild....

CALVINIST

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he was in Africa he grabed a ball of elephant dung and squeezed all the liquid out of it and into his mouth. I'd rather die of thrist.

The crazy thing is I think he did it pretty early on in the show, like only a few hours from when he was dropped off. I'd give it a little while longer before I took such drastic actions I think.

Just a question: If he's forced to eating spiders and drinking his own pee, does the camera man pack Dasani and sandwiches for himself?

I kind of like the show, but sometimes I think I am in more danger eating supper than he is in the wild. Just my 2 cents.

DD

I just ordered his survival book based on the show. It goes over every aspect of the show in detail along with all the survival skills he practices. It's an excellent read.

Rinc, show is on Discovery channel. There is an episode tonight at 8pm with repeats on different nights. Show will be from Ecuador. Discovery channel is really coming out with some good shows like this and deadliest catch, hows it made, myth busters, dirty job, survivorman (similar theme as Man vs Wild).

This show is great. My kids and I love to watch it. I didn't see the one where he drink Elephant Dung moisture, but did see where he drank his own urine. Ugh!!! The guy knows his stuff.

I too have wondered how rough the cameramen who follow him around have it....And, if because he has a cameraman with him who probably has some kind of emergency radio, does the guy do some things he normally wouldn't do if he were by himself...like jumping though the ice into a lake just to show us how to get out, or the same with the quicksand?

Survivorman, supposedly has no cameraman with him, but I don't know. They need to have a contest between the two of them and see who can survive the longest on their own in a certain location without giving up. That would be interesting.

I was watching one night and he found a spring. After having a drink, he poured water on his head that dribbled back into the spring. I was thinking that was a pretty selfish display to nasty up the spring.

Serious????? confused.gif A little sweat in a spring compared to other things like animals cooling off or using it...........This show is pretty cool except like stated before what about the camera men that follow him...to me it seems like they have him do a few over the top things like drinking own urine or eating spiders but for the most part he usually doesn't eat enough for the amount of time he is in the field so I wonder if they don't provide him with things and he just points out and performs certain things available to survive......Good show still!!

I like the one where he has to cross the freezing glacial river, jumps in from 30 feet up, swims to the other side and in order not to get hypothermia he has to do a mile run to a steaming geothermic pool. When he gets there he realizes that its to hot for him to jump into. I thought that was pretty funny. His words before he jumped in:

"Normally I would go down river to find a safe place to cross, but from here I can see steam comming up from a geothermic pool, so if I can make it there before hypo sets in I should be good".

He ended up finding where the pool was overflowing and built a dam with rocks to pool up the slightly cooler water to lay in.

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone see this show? Watching
Wolf
down a fat, hefty spider in the Australian Outback was almost more than I could handle
shocked.gif

What are your favorite scenes?

Do you mean Bear ? tongue.gif

Bear then...I stand corrected tongue.gif

Quote:

Survivorman, supposedly has no cameraman with him, but I don't know. They need to have a contest between the two of them and see who can survive the longest on their own in a certain location without giving up. That would be interesting.

Survivorman could survive circles around Bear. Following Bear's methods is a great way to end up with a broken leg. Jumping off waterfalls, climbing down cliffs, etc. Survivorman is cautious, takes his time, and sets a much better example of what to do in a survival situation. Bear's show is more about entertainment (drinking elephant dump, eating nasty stuff, jumping around like a spider monkey on crack). The show is entertaining, but that's about it!

Bear is an expert rock climber and has done more high endurance activities then any normal man so you have to take that into account when you watch what he does. None of us could go out into the wild and do what he does, we would be dead within a day. He takes alot of risks in order to save time, but something that is a little risky for him would be a certain death sentence for any of us. He is like the Micheal Jordan of wildrness survival no matter how hard we try we can't do what he does.

Surivorman is more like the Mark Madsen of surviving, nothing fancy, but any of us could do the same thing if we had to.

I think the survivorman is a better example for us but not always as entertaining.

Supposedly Bear's camera men are in more comfort then he is, when he was swiming in water with sheets of ice he mentioned he had no protection on but the cameramen did.

It does bug me when the survivorman talks about having to lug his camera gear all over the place 20 times a show. I get it already the stuff is heavy and a burden but it was your idea.

Survivor man hands down . He has no one to bail him out like Bear . I still recall the one episode that Bear jumped into a river , for no real reason , but he had a life jacket on . PHONY ! Where did that come from ? His camera crew carries clean cloths and food for him . A lot of the stuff he passes on as information is probably harmful . Man v Wild is only about entertainment and I don't know that anybody should follow his advice . For example he said that drinking your own pee is perfectly OK and I don't have a PHd but I'm pretty sure that drinking your own fluid waste is about the same as eating poo frown.gif . I don't think I have ever seen Survivorman junp into a raging river , leap across a 8' gap between a chasm or any of the other dump Bear does for the sake of effect . wink.gif

I think survivor man is a joke. My kids and I were watching one day when he was on a frozen lake somewhere. He grabbed a stick about the size of a pool cue and said he could chisle a hole in the ice with it. It was about a two inch blunt end on it. Anyway the camera misteriously cut away and when it came back there was a hole in the ice that you could tell was augered out. We all laughed. The trout he supposedly caught was a whole other joke.

I wonder about Survivorman too. Some of the camera shots he has just seem too impossible for him to get by himself. And he spends way too much time complaining about having to go back and forth for the camera just to get a shot for us.

I would like to see a competition between them though. I think Bear would kick his butt!