• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a Southern MN report....

I checked Beaver Lk in Steele County and St Olaf in Waseca County this afternoon.

Beaver has about 3" of ice by the boat ramp on the East end. By the DNR fishing dock there was a small finger of open water. On the West end there was a patch of open water, and many geese nearby. The ice shows many cracks, as if it was tore up by the wind and/or warm temps last week. Talked to one fella who was out on the ice walking - he agreed it's still pretty iffy - he was walking where he knew it was shallow in case he did go thru.

At St Olaf, the entire lake is as smooth as
glass, but the ice is very thin - maybe 2", and very weak - I stepped on it, and it was creaking - this was only 2-3 foot from shore.

UG

[This message has been edited by Uncle Grump (edited 12-01-2002).]

Coon Lake has 5 or so inches of ice. I was out there fishing today and had plenty of ice. Most of the lake is frozen over and people were taking advantage of it. A lot of people out fishing.

Good Fishin, Matt.

i'd say closer to 10 tousand there bronson kid. better stay off that east end, she's got thin after that warm up.
tell you wife i say hi.

------------------
-keep the rods a
bending

The ice on Lake of the Woods is improving daily. Lots of atv's and sleds crossing 4-mile to Pine over the weekend, also saw a Samurai cross on Saturday. I fished the bay over 9 foot 2 days over the weekend and the fishing is quite good, when they get snappin in the evening you can't hardly keep 2 lines going! Folks I spoke with that fished out infront of Pine say its way good out there also. Cold weather this week will thicken things up bigtime.

Fisky

Coon Lake is in the city of East Bethel in what is now considered the north metro (MPLS). Go east on Viking Blvd.(cr 22 around the 197th Avenue off of Hwy 65 (Central Ave)) about 5 miles.

Cliff, I seen some people out there on Vermillion too, on Sunday night. You go through and drown, that is permanent, you don't get to think I will never do that again.

I can't imagine what would make someone do something so stupid. We were about 1/2 mile away and we could feel the ice move and crack under our feet. All I could think of was I can't believe anyone would be so foolish!!!

Scott

Upper Red Lake has 6-10" to the crappie cribs, on well marked road, just use common sense, four wheel atvs and snowmobiles so far, went past milacs on the west side sat , open water as far as you could see to the east

Kabetogama and Namakan are fully frozen over. Lots of Namakan is still not safe or yet proven for sled traffic. Kabetogama has anywhere from 6" to 12" of ice and were making more each day, already its -10 again this evening. The park service was out today and will be out tommorrow to give accurate ice depths. Sleds are running all over the lake now, possibly ready for vechiles this cominmg weekend. Namakan should be safe for sleds and portables this weekend as well. <{{{{{{><

I'm wondering if anyone has any reports on walkable ice on the south side of lake Reno or Miltona in Alexandria . I'm heading up this weekend and just wanted some input.

Thanks,
Dishman

[This message has been edited by Dishman (edited 12-04-2002).]

Fish Lake outside Duluth has at least 8-10 inches of ice on it. Report had it that this past weekend, lots of traffic on the Crappie village area. Still a guy I know was out and did alright...between 2 of them they iced 6 eyes.
Going to be headed out this Sunday morning, probably either at the dam or highbanks resort...Northlander, will you be out?

Just wanted to say that the minute anyone drills a hole in harriet calhoun cedar isles nokomis or hiawatha, post and tell us the thickness. Im eager to get out there in mpls, but am waiting for at least 4-5" to be safe.

I will be at the Expo Fri/Sat and work Sun A.M. I will be on the ST.Louis Sun at 3:30 by boyscout landing. Fish Lake by the dam today was slow. In 15 ft. with only 3 nice perch and a couple snakes. I would move to the left between the 1st and 2nd docks and try the big weed bed. Find the 15-20 ft. Some big fish caught there today.