• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok day on Rice lake, a few walleye and some real nice northerns. Walked out 3/4 of a mile or so and had 4 inches of ice. Best time was 7-9:30 am and the last hour of light.
Northerns on big suckers on tip ups and walleyes on chubs and glow jigs. 8-9 foot of water.

Ok day on Rice lake, a few walleye and some real nice northerns. Walked out 3/4 of a mile or so and had 4 inches of ice. Best time was 7-9:30 am and the last hour of light.
Northerns on big suckers on tip ups and walleyes on chubs and glow jigs. 8-9 foot of water.

When you enter Duluth go up Mesabi Ave. You will come to the stop lights at Mesabi and Central Entrance,keep going straight. This will turn into Rice Lake road. When you come to a T in the road with a stop go left on Arrowhead road. Take the next right which will be Rice lake rd again. A couple miles after you pass Chalstroms Bait Look for the
D AM rd. There will be a public access sign on the corner. When you go out onto the lake stay away from the D am and dont go between the island and shore. Walk on the open water side of the the island.

D am = the thing beavers make. Had to type it this way or it would be censored out.

Its quite a walk out, maybe a mile to some of the spots. With those big houses you will really work up a sweat getting out unless you have 4 wheelers or sleds. Fish Lake may be easier for you and only another 10 miles or so. If you hit Rice try one jig rod and one tip up with light pike suckers. About 8-10 ft. seemed good.

immaaxxxxxxi-
Northlander is right, the hike out to some of the spots on Rice will be a long one. Especially if you have those houses that you'll be pulling.
I was out on Fish Lake Wednesday night and did fine. I didn't get out until 4:30pm, but had 3 walleyes by 4:45pm.
Once it gets dark, I do believe that the bite becomes non-existant. I think anyone from Duluth can atest to that.
If you need directions to Fish Lake, same route to get to Rice Lake, just stop in at Charlstroms and they'll help you out.
GOOD LUCK.

in the grand rapids area splithand has four inches with walleyes and crappies biting. most the lakes in this area have 4 to 6 inches going totip up some walleyes this eveninng on oneof my special haunts ill keep u pposted on the fishin the area. So far it seems to be all good reports.

Gull Lake in Brainerd has opened back up in the middle of the big lake. The wind today is going to play heck with a few lakes that are just freezing over. When that broken ice piles up and refreezes out in the middle of the lake it becomes a questionable spot of safety.

I checked the ice yesterday on lake Mitchell in Big Lake, it was about an 1 1\2" not nearly enough to handle this load Big Lake still had open water. A couple of the smaller lake east of Elk River have 3" and look to be fishable.

Going to check out the Coon Lake channel tonight..hopefully the wind dies down!!

Steve21,
I was out on Fairy Lake which is about 2 miles cross country from Cedar this morning and it actually lost ice from Wed. Wed there was about 3-5 inches the way across when I was checking, went out to fish this morning and only about 1-1 1/2 inches with water sitting on top of the ice. The wind is raising heck with what ice there is. I would suspect that Cedar would be in the same shape. It's supposed to get real cold tonight so maybe tomorrow or Sunday. I have my stuff sitting in my car ready to go.
Good luck and be safe.

Thanks Bushwacker, I live here in the cities but do most of my ice hunting on sauk and Osakis. If it changes for the better by saturday afternoon I'm on my way. Thanks again. S21

Fished on Fish Lake tonight. Caught all my fish between 3:30 and dark. As stated there is no night bite that I know of. 3 walleyes and 2 northern. 1 northern was7-8 pounds and biggest eye only 14 inches wich is decent on fish in the winter.Lots of wheeler traffic.

i was out on sylvan bay late last night the fish weren't biting but wow was she makinsome ice the wind didnt get to bad here around rapids havent been out this mornin yet but willing to bet she put on an inch or 2 of new ice

Was out on Lake Vermillion this morning out on Mckinley Bay. There was about 8 inches of ice at about 1/2 mile out. The fishing was real slow. No clouds and high pressure. Not my favorite fishing weather.

Scott

It appears things near the Metro are starting to get good, I like that. Any more info about lakes in or within the suburbs or so of the TC? I am getting more and more jealous of you people with good ice.

Was out this weekend on Fleming, Gun, and Cranberry in Aitkin county. Did really well on Fleming on Friday night, despite the wind, catching 23 crappies. Fishing on Cranberry and Gun was tough on Saturday with the cold and high pressure. Gun had a solid 5-6 inches ice.

Was out on Rabbit in Crow Wing Co. this afternoon. There was about 5" of clear ice every where I checked. Caught one 19" Eye while I was there. A good outing for the first of the season. There were three permanent shelters out. They didn't look to be large ones.