• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Rick

First, just logged on to this forum. All topics and discussion has been great to read. I hope I can contribute is some way.

Next, gotierman, any word on any ice, or fall fishing on Osakis? I plan to go visit that lake this winter a few times. Thanks

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ice on Pelican by Ashby is not safe yet. I was by there the other day and there was lots of open water, even in the narrows. Christina across the street was solid shore to shore, except for the ducks and geese sitting in the middle. Another week and Pelican will be ready.

Irishjigs,

Welcome to the forum. You're really gonna enjoy this site and I'm sure any info that you have is info that we're open to hear. Have fun.

Good Fishin, Matt.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Forecast is for Colder weather guys. Will we make it by Thanksgiving grin.gif

Let's see your ice reports.

Please let us know what big town your by and the Lake you got info on...Please????? smile.gif

Nelson Lake in NW Wisconsin has 2-plus solid inches. Expecting three by end of weekend. Guys are fishing there, and it'll be a certainty by T-giving, with colder weather coming. Check the Wisconsin forum for a more detailed report.

It's better to be safe than cool.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

Well, I made it. I was expecting much. All I found were a school of 6 inch perch. First time out, can't say I didn't catch anything. I didn't want to venture out to the drop I was looking for. I'm crazy, but I wasn't going to go any farther by myself. Maybe tommorow morning

It's official! I fished on my favorite little crappie lake this afternoon, standing on top of 3.5" of solid blue ice. It is located just outside of Cloquet, MN, but that is about all the more specific I care to get. The larger lakes are all iced (only about 1") over, but some of the smaller ones are walkable. Did good today, caught and released about a limit of crappies...ICE IS FINALLY HERE!

I checked the ice on Lake Vermilion this morning , out of Mckinley Park, and there was 3.5" to 5" of solid ice as far out as Ely Island.
"BE CAREFUL" though as Big Bay does not usually all have the same ice thickness!!
I am going out tomorrow to see if I can ice a few walleyes and perch.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Cliff, you lucky bugger. We don't have quite that much ice around Duluth/Superior, and it's not easy to find safe stuff yet. There are a few however, and I'll be on at least one of them tomorrow.

Good luck, and tell us how you do. I expect the forum will be humming with reports this weekend, at least from the folks who aren't hunting.

I checked rice lake again today and only about 2 good inches. This was out about 50 yards from the landing. Not safe to walk out to where the fish are. Fish lake was less at the 3 spots I checked. Be carefull and fish w/ a partner.

Little rock, This lake is not worth falling through. As we all know, the lake is nothing spectacular, but hey, got ice? I'm gonna try again tommorow, and see If I can get into some evening crappies up high, and some wallys down low.

I finally got out on the ice for about 5 hours this morning!
There was a solid 3.5"s of ice over the 26' deep flat I fished.
I caught 7 walleyes and kept 3 that averaged 16 inches. I also missed a couple of other fish.
It is GREAT to be back on the lake!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Out for a couple hours today near Pelican Rapids. 3.5" of good ice. A little more ice and a little less open water and there will be more fishable spots.

One small northern. Couldn't get to the walleye holes.